I Want Internet In Open2X

drumpi

Hello again:

I'm back again with more troubles with open2x. Sorry if i'm boring, but i had this trouble from some months ago and I remembered this a few days.
Well, i get all wireless tools from here:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2150
(Very thanks to all who make it possible), and works fine with officials firm (3.0.0 for me). I can search and connect (even with password) to home network, use samba to share files with PC (not videos, too much for my usb-wifi adapter) and connect to internet with QTopia.

But when I install open2X i lost it. It can't load the module, i don't know why. Once told me that module was not compiled with correct version (i can't remember if 3.0 or 4.0). In compatibility mode don't works too.
I hope you can help me, it's the only bad point of this firm. I don't want to heard again MP3 with "random stereo channels" (on official firms :D).
Thanks again.

Drumpi said:
Hello again:

I'm back again with more troubles with open2x. Sorry if i'm boring, but i had this trouble from some months ago and I remembered this a few days.
Well, i get all wireless tools from here:
http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/gp2x.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,2150
(Very thanks to all who make it possible), and works fine with officials firm (3.0.0 for me). I can search and connect (even with password) to home network, use samba to share files with PC (not videos, too much for my usb-wifi adapter) and connect to internet with QTopia.

But when I install open2X i lost it. It can't load the module, i don't know why. Once told me that module was not compiled with correct version (i can't remember if 3.0 or 4.0). In compatibility mode don't works too.
I hope you can help me, it's the only bad point of this firm. I don't want to heard again MP3 with "random stereo channels" (on official firms :D ).
Thanks again.

I am about to leave for half a year into the woods (PCT Thru Hike) so I won't have time to help you out much with this. Perhaps you can find a way to log in and get the dmesg output of the kernel by getting USB networking working or using the serial cable.

Bottom line though, do you *really* need wifi for the GP2X? I can understand the file sharing problem, but do you seriously use the internet with Qtopia on a 320x240 screen? Seems extremely silly to me, very useless. As for the file sharing thing, you could get a USB extension cable perhaps, and use USB networking with that?

The correct solution is to recompile those kernel modules for the newer Open2X kernel. Perhaps you could learn how to do it or get in #open2x on freenode.net and ask there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Offtopic I know, but:
Senor Quack enjoy your hike! Thanks for all your work for the scene!
I'll be sure to organize a 'Welcome Back' thread in about 6 month's time :).

quote said:
Offtopic I know, but:
I'll be sure to organize a 'Welcome Back' thread in about 6 month's time :) .

Thanks for the well wishes my friend :)

quote said:
Offtopic I know, but:

Just don't be back in about two months or we'll have a lot of trouble...

quote said:
Offtopic I know, but:

I hope you have a great time. I always wanted to thru-hike the Appalation trail, but only was able to do PA due to time constraints. Even my relatively short hikes were awesome. Good luck.
Are you going to leave us a link to your journal?

Chris

christo930 said:
quote said:
Offtopic I know, but:

I hope you have a great time. I always wanted to thru-hike the Appalation trail, but only was able to do PA due to time constraints. Even my relatively short hikes were awesome. Good luck.
Are you going to leave us a link to your journal?

Chris

Pennsylvania is a very challenging part of the trail because the glaciers that advanced and receded so many times over its landscape left it strewn with small jagged rocks everywhere, making hiking rather painful at that point! I also saw many snakes in Pennsylvania, I'd say 90% of the snakes we saw were in that one state! I hope you do thru-hike. You'll think about it everyday afterwards :)

Here is our current journal (we don't start the PCT until April):
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=10069

Our old journal of the AT is here:
http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=5611

Oh! you're on a trip? good luck and have and "von voyage". I hope you enjoy it :)

OK, i tried again yesterday. The last time 5 months had passed until i wrote the message ^^U
Well, this time i tried from start, and the first thing i notices is there isn't an insmod command (or rmmod or lsmod or anithing *mod related) so i couldn't load the rt2570.o module, and GP2X couldn't recognize my conceptronic usb wifi dongle.
So i can't use ifconfig or iwconfig at all. I don't know how i dit it before :huh:

And yes, i need wifi, because all PC on my home are too big to go out or go to sitting room ^^U

Drumpi said:
OK, i tried again yesterday. The last time 5 months had passed until i wrote the message ^^U
Well, this time i tried from start, and the first thing i notices is there isn't an insmod command (or rmmod or lsmod or anithing *mod related) so i couldn't load the rt2570.o module, and GP2X couldn't recognize my conceptronic usb wifi dongle.
So i can't use ifconfig or iwconfig at all. I don't know how i dit it before :huh:

And yes, i need wifi, because all PC on my home are too big to go out or go to sitting room ^^U

Actually Open2X has both an insmod and a modprobe command. I know this because I wrote the wrappers that intercept calls to them.

Back