I Want To Buy It, But I Have Questions About The Analog Stick

For people that have a Caanoo, What do you think about the analog stick ?

• i really like the analog stick, i dont need a d-pad

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • i really like the analog stick, but i would like to have a d-pad too

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • i would prefer to have a d-pad instead of my analog stick

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • i didnt like the Caanoo, i regret to have bought it for others reasons

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

renejr902

Website
Visit site
I hesitate to buy it since a few days. i have a lot of handheld: gp2x,wiz,gp32,psp,dsi,gba,gba sp, letcool(dingoo a320 i just sold it)...

And im really a fan of D-pad. but i loved the gp32 digital stick and i hate the gp2x digital stick and i hate the zodiac analog stick. Still i suppose i can live with that analog stick if its really better and more responsive than zodiac.

This is my questions about the anlaog stick

1. In Picodrive, for example: when playing a sonic game, do you have to push ALL THE WAY left to go left. or you can only slightly push the left and sonic will go left ?? While running with sonic Is it easy to push down to become a ball and roll. Can you change direction very fast like a d-pad from left to right or right to left ?

2. IS it better than the zodiac analog stick.

3. How is it compare vs the gp2x digital stick. Analog vs digital stick ?

4. when playing some games do you dream to have a d-pad to play it instead of the stick.

5. Is it really fun to play pacman and tetris with this stick ?

6. Is it FUN playing Picodrive and sonic games with the analog stick ? or you really dream about a d-pad instead

PLEASE BE HONEST !! Thanks and have fun :)

i tried my best, i know my english is not great, thanks for understand.

I've heard it's better than the GP2X/Zodiac stick, but I wouldn't know myself, having never owned a GP2X, or a Zodiac, or a Caanoo. I'm new here. <_<

I should have mine by next weekend, so I'll post back with what I think of it when I get it. Though for #1, I guess that would depend on what deadzones are set for PicoDrive.

Tux.King said:
I've heard it's better than the GP2X/Zodiac stick, but I wouldn't know myself, having never owned a GP2X, or a Zodiac, or a Caanoo. I'm new here. <_<

I should have mine by next weekend, so I'll post back with what I think of it when I get it. Though for #1, I guess that would depend on what deadzones are set for PicoDrive.

YEAH DEADZONES For Picodrive is a question i should have ask. Can people explain the Picodrive Deadzones

Last edited by a moderator:
Tha analog stick works fine, at least in the games I play. It is a problem in Beat'em'ups, I am sure of that, but in shooters, side scrollers like Double Dragon or RPGs, it's no problem.
The Deadzones in Picodrive work fine with the default values. With deadzones you can define how far you have to press the stick, before it is reacting.

renejr902 said:
YEAH DEADZONES For Picodrive is a question i should have ask. Can people explain the Picodrive Deadzones

Deadzones are not unique to Picodrive ... its a technique that can be implemented into any program. Essentially, it is the distance you have to push the stick in order for it to register the direction you desire. The lower (smaller) the deadzone, the more immediate the action. However, the smaller the deadzone, the more likely you will trigger an axis you don't desire, like diagonal down and right when you only want to go down.

The default deadzone setting in Picodrive feels very good, and might be a little bit conservative even. You can adjust it so it feels good. And Sonic feels excellent, I forget about it when playing.

I don't know, but most Caanoo software still seems immature. For instance, you'll want to throw your Caanoo (and its joystick) out the window if you play fighting games on the CPS2 emulator, but I'm pretty sure it's just poorly implemented in the emulator and not a direct result of the joystick design. The NeoGeo CD emulator, on the other hand, looks more promising (I personally have not tried it out yet):

renejr902 said:
interesting ! thanks for info. did you try a street fighter game ?

yes, played street fighter alpha 2. it's fun, but again, controls are annoying if you don't get them just right, and the emulator is still slow.

hopefully that stuff will get fixed at some point.

i just order my black/blue Caanoo from play-asia. i used fedex for 1 to 4 days shipping time to Canada,montreal.

i read Korea version... does others versions exist ??

thanks for answer

note: i hope i will like this analog stick. i really hope !!

I heard the white Caanoo's analog stick was better ;)

Also, I think it's only korean

i received my caanoo. i tried Picodrive, and im impress. sonic work perfect. And i dont have any problem making special moves in super street fighter. i dont miss any move. all works like a d-pad. Still i prefer a d-pad , but the analog stick do the job in picodrive. i will change my analog stick for a d-pad thats for sure, but i can live with that analog stick, it work pretty well.

For the Lcd screen, im really surprised. its the best lcd screen i have seen for a video games handheld. No blur when sonic running , like a oled screen. it must be a 8 ms lcd screen. + the screen is VERY bright and clear.

last week i bought a Dingoo A320 i SOLD IT
last week i bought a Letcool i SOLD IT
This week i bought a Caanoo i keep it. Its a great handheld, the analog stick is acceptable, because the quality is a lot better than my Zodiac.

note: still dont understand people that have difficulty in fighting game, but i only try picodrive super street fighter 2

SEE MY CAANOO REVIEW

renejr902 said:
i received my caanoo. i tried Picodrive, and im impress. sonic work perfect. And i dont have any problem making special moves in super street fighter. i dont miss any move. all works like a d-pad. Still i prefer a d-pad , but the analog stick do the job in picodrive. i will change my analog stick for a d-pad thats for sure, but i can live with that analog stick, it work pretty well.

For the Lcd screen, im really surprised. its the best lcd screen i have seen for a video games handheld. No blur when sonic running , like a oled screen. it must be a 8 ms lcd screen. + the screen is VERY bright and clear.

last week i bought a Dingoo A320 i SOLD IT
last week i bought a Letcool i SOLD IT
This week i bought a Caanoo i keep it. Its a great handheld, the analog stick is acceptable, because the quality is a lot better than my Zodiac.

note: still dont understand people that have difficulty in fighting game, but i only try picodrive super street fighter 2

SEE MY CAANOO REVIEW

I actually kinda miss my A320, even though in order to get anything other than the stock games for it one needed to flash it and install dingux. Still, it's kind of a neat little unit, even with its flaws.

I just got a GP2X Caanoo, very nice. I'm really impressed with the overall quality of the product. The screen is awesome and the analog stick takes some getting used to. Although, it's really not that bad. ;-)

I would tell anyone looking to get an open handheld or emulation platform to get the Caanoo or save their pennies for the Pandora.

Xaxius said:
I went with the Caanoo for the following reasons...

1.) Larger screen size: 3.5in vs. 2.8in on the Wiz.
2.) Larger form factor: I've got pretty big hands and the Caanoo is comfortable to hold. Based on it's size, the Wiz would be uncomfortable to hold over longer periods of time for someone like me.
3.) Button Arrangement: The A-Y-X-B button arrangement seemed more usable than the pseudo directional pad arraignment found on the Wiz. Also, the two "Help" buttons on the left of the Caanoo give you more options when playing shooter vertically, which is a nice little bonus.
4.) USB host functionality.

One isn't really better than the other, it really comes down to what options are important for you and which ones you can live with out. In any case, I've had my Caanoo since Monday and it's been a phenomenal device... I doubt you'd be disappointed. :)

Just got my Caanoo, just as most experts say analog control is not good for emulation. I agree too after experiencing it.

rsuryase said:
Just got my Caanoo, just as most experts say analog control is not good for emulation. I agree too after experiencing it.

Couldn't disagree more. After playing emulated games with an xbox 360 controller, I found the Caanoo analogue stick to be much, much more accurate in terms of correctly registering up/down/left/right movements. Naturally the diagonals aren't as exact as a d-pad could provide, but this stick is a great compromise considering the breadth of games it has to cater to.

I couldn't agree more with Ajack :). The Caanoo stick is a very nice medium between a proper joystick and d-pad. As far as rsuryase's comment about analog input being "no good for emulation", well, I guess it depends upon exactly what it is that you are trying to emulate. There are many, many systems and titles that I routinely use which used analog input in their original incarnations, and for which the Caanoo stick is great (though I wouldn't mind some more analog control config options in MAME4ALL). For games and systems which used digital input, the Caanoo stick still serves pretty darn well in my opinion. I'm not a huge d-pad lover in any context, mainly because I did not grow up with all the systems that made use of d-pad controllers... The "newest" real console I own is an NES, apart from my Caanoo and Dingoo. Most of my console gaming occurred prior to the NES.

The Analog stick feels great. I've been playing Streets of Rage 2 (SeGen), Donkey Kong Country (SNES), Super Mario World (and some romhacks of it, SNES), Michael Jackson Moonwalker (SeGen), Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles (SeGen), and "Get Blue Spheres" (The S3&K Special Stage game with 134,217,728 levels you get from locking Sonic & Knuckles onto Sonic 1 and pressing A, B, & C at the 'No Way!' screen; SeGen); and they all play great with the joystick, haven't even needed to adjust the deadzones in PicoDrive.

I don't know what to say, other than for games made for a d-pad, they feel quite natural. :p

Nobody likes the Zodiac's analog stick.

Some official game let to alter analog's settings.

No emu for Zodiac has settings to alter dead zones for the analog stick. Nobody made a library.

Back