Someone Need To Talk To Gph About That Analog Stick

Who will buy that Caanoo analog handheld to play emulators

• me, that for sure, i dream to have a analog stick to play emulator, Wow im really happy

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • i will buy it anyway to play emulator, but im really dissapointed to have this analog stick

• i had a zodiac before, you can forget me, i will never buy that thing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • im not interested to buy a handheld with only a analog stick to play emulators

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Don't play emulators and am more than happy to have an analogue stick for homebrew

• I have a Pandora , i dont need that.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I have a pandora and i will buy this Caanoo anyway, i dont mind to have a analog stick to play emula

• I'm not getting a canoe, and I'm indifferent about the stick

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Anyway, This Pool Sucks, i prefer to have a good time with my girlfriend than waste my time to creat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • renejr902 is a strange person and his english is really bad, i always want to say it thanks ! anyway

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Im not sure if i will buy it. i have to think about this analog stick.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • i prefer to play with my own stick (it can be funny) than buy that Caanoo analog stick

• Still having a analog stick is not really a disaster, compared to montreal canadiens that trade thei

• I'm getting the Caanoo, and am indifferent to the stick

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • im not getting it, Because i want both like the pandora: a analog stick + a d-pad

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

Exophase said:
Why do I get the feeling lately that people don't really read what I write?
Huh? Write what now? :D Oh...hey Exophase. Didn't see you there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The simple problem here is that this bloody company has managed to screw up the controls on every system they have made! I can't see how this time is going to be any different.

geise69 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-YCHqtI-w
shows off the analog quite well. looks better than the gp2x to me.

Still i didnt find the stick better than zodiac analog stick. Maybe im wrong. Maybe people dont know the feeling you have with a analog stick when playing a emulator. you have to go all the way down to go down, all the way left to go left... its not that analog stick look bad and work bad, is more like no analog stick work good with emulators. ( like nes, snes ,pcengine, megadrive,genesis...)

BUT IM VERY IMPRESS with the look and size of that handheld. Thats for sure. really impressive. im not joking. its so bad i cant mod this thing for a d-pad like i did with the gp2x. Hey exophase and others do you think this thing can be modded for adding a D-pad. if i find the 4 contact somewhere. But i dont think its possible. if it can be possible maybe one day i will try it, but not anything soon. i want to see if it can sucess with no d-pad first. i still think it will be dead very fast. how knows for sure ? if it can have enough support from gp32x community.
Still very dissapointed by the control of their consoles since the gp32. even wiz d-pad need to be modded ( daveC mod) to be working correclty.

any word of battery life ? hours ?

thanks

SONY said:
Exophase said:
Why do I get the feeling lately that people don't really read what I write?

I read them all...it's the GPH fanboys that don't like reading your posts.

Says the biggest fanboy of them all. Period.

i just read that on openxile.co.uk:

openXile

GPH E3 Interview
Comments (2) By quote, June 25, 2010 1:59 am

The technology blog Hak5 were at E3, and paid a visit to the GPH booth. Their man managed to grab a quick interview with Tony Han, GPH’s ‘Overseas Marketing Manager’. We are shown a Caanoo being played online, amongst other things. Tony was eager to reassure us that the analog stick would not be a problem for ‘arcade games’, which is an issue often raised over at the GP32X forums. Regardless, the analog vs d-pad argument will continue.
Caanoo stuff starts at ~11 mins.

Source

renejr902 said:
geise69 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0-YCHqtI-w
shows off the analog quite well. looks better than the gp2x to me.

Still i didnt find the stick better than zodiac analog stick. Maybe im wrong. Maybe people dont know the feeling you have with a analog stick when playing a emulator. you have to go all the way down to go down, all the way left to go left... its not that analog stick look bad and work bad, is more like no analog stick work good with emulators. ( like nes, snes ,pcengine, megadrive,genesis...)

BUT IM VERY IMPRESS with the look and size of that handheld. Thats for sure. really impressive. im not joking. its so bad i cant mod this thing for a d-pad like i did with the gp2x. Hey exophase and others do you think this thing can be modded for adding a D-pad. if i find the 4 contact somewhere. But i dont think its possible. if it can be possible maybe one day i will try it, but not anything soon. i want to see if it can sucess with no d-pad first. i still think it will be dead very fast. how knows for sure ? if it can have enough support from gp32x community.
Still very dissapointed by the control of their consoles since the gp32. even wiz d-pad need to be modded ( daveC mod) to be working correclty.

any word of battery life ? hours ?

thanks
An analog will not be as good for emulators that is certain. It isn't as good for some other stuff either, ever wonder why D-pads are still included on PSPs, DSs etc? If they were a direct replacement that was just as good d-pads would be removed to cut cost and save space.

If they use a pot for analog you could probably just put in a d-pad connected by resistors of enough value to make a contact. Why bother though? If they are hall effect or something like that it would be much more complicated.

The speakers on the back is just retarded too :blink: You will have to max out volume to hear anything and the stereo effect will be super poor as well. They should have ducted the sound to the front at least.. Bah what Am I doing trying to be logical about the Caaanooo.

Nova said:
I think it's funny when someone tries to claim an analog is shit for emulators. As if emulation doesn't cover such a broad spectrum of games. If emulation by you guys' definition was a video game, it'd have just 4 directions and need 8 buttons minimum to play.

BTW you need the "I'm getting the Caanoo, and am indifferent to the stick" option.
I always find myself agreeing with you.

i will try to mod another gp2x mk1 with the gp32x ' digital stick' controller this time. ( last gp2x was modded with gba d-pad)

so maybe i will buy the Caanoo and try to mod it with a gba d-pad or other d-pad or gp32 controller.

I LOVE the design of the caanoo. Playing emulators with a stick...really doesn't bother me. I think this is a nice device (might look a bit goofy with a wifi dongle hanging off it), but this device is almost perfect. Perfect is being able to emulate N64 with no problem, but I don't think that exists as of yet in an affordable package *COUGH*pandora*COUGH* So I'll stick to this device until that device does come along. Can't wait till the release!

Señor RavensFjord said:
I LOVE the design of the caanoo. Playing emulators with a stick...really doesn't bother me.
It is not just "a stick" it is analog. If it was digital like the GP32 it wouldn't be bad.

I played emus with analogs and it is an excercise in frustration. If you like the feeling of sucking in games you used to kick ass in because the damn stick zigged when you wanted to zag then analog is for you. Otherwise you will just want to whip it against the concrete and let out a string of expletives. I had the second urge with the analog.

DaveC said:
Señor RavensFjord said:
I LOVE the design of the caanoo. Playing emulators with a stick...really doesn't bother me.
It is not just "a stick" it is analog. If it was digital like the GP32 it wouldn't be bad.

Meh, I use the terms interchangeably. Yeah I guess they aren't technically the same, but again with the analogs, I play emulators all the time with analog sticks. I don't prefer them over a d-pad or the other way around. Hell, some games are even better to me when played with an analog. I guess I'm just one of the select few that really could care less about this issue, I'll just have to say that if you don't like the design of a product, no one is making you buy it.

Yeah I quite like the design. it sucks they could not include a dpad but if the analog works good like they say I may purchase one :)

Edit: deciding if I should get white or black lol :p

Why doesn't anyone ever make analogue sticks like the one on the Gamecube controller where it was analogue but had notches so the stick went into perfect diagonals? It wouldn't be perfect for emulating a d pad but it'd be a lot better than what the Caanoo has!

John

I'm wondering if the analog stick will even work with Redemption: Liar...since it only responds to 4 directions...diagonals kill it.

Back