Someone Need To Talk To Gph About That Analog Stick

Who will buy that Caanoo analog handheld to play emulators

• me, that for sure, i dream to have a analog stick to play emulator, Wow im really happy

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • i will buy it anyway to play emulator, but im really dissapointed to have this analog stick

• i had a zodiac before, you can forget me, i will never buy that thing

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • im not interested to buy a handheld with only a analog stick to play emulators

Votes: 5 10.6%
  • Don't play emulators and am more than happy to have an analogue stick for homebrew

• I have a Pandora , i dont need that.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • I have a pandora and i will buy this Caanoo anyway, i dont mind to have a analog stick to play emula

• I'm not getting a canoe, and I'm indifferent about the stick

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Anyway, This Pool Sucks, i prefer to have a good time with my girlfriend than waste my time to creat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • renejr902 is a strange person and his english is really bad, i always want to say it thanks ! anyway

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Im not sure if i will buy it. i have to think about this analog stick.

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • i prefer to play with my own stick (it can be funny) than buy that Caanoo analog stick

• Still having a analog stick is not really a disaster, compared to montreal canadiens that trade thei

• I'm getting the Caanoo, and am indifferent to the stick

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • im not getting it, Because i want both like the pandora: a analog stick + a d-pad

Votes: 6 12.8%

• Total voters

renejr902

Website
Visit site
*** ( EDIT: OK i just sent a email to Tony Han tonyhan@gp2x.com

Do like me and send him email, try to convince him that we need not only a analog stick but a d-pad too. WE NEED BOTH OF THEM

A analog stick + a D-pad
A analog stick + a D-pad
A analog stick + a D-pad ) ***

sorry to make a topic for that. i just read everything about this new console today. i didnt know anything about a new GPH console. but i was hoping AT LEAST a 3.5 screen with a d-pad. WHAT HORRIBLE !!! A ANALOG STICK. i think nobody in GPH try to play a emulator on the zodiac. The worst thing i did in my console history was to sell my gp32 blu for that zodiac. ZODIAC WAS ALL BETTER THAN GP32, But it LOST EVERYTHING with that analog stick. it was really bad. i just finished modding my gp2x stick for a gba d-pad. and now another stick handheld is release by GPH. they never learned anything ? this stupid caanoo handheld is a total disaster. I CANT BELIEVE IT. I think this time gph can be near bankrupt in a few months. most people buy their product for emulators. They are supposed to know that.

But like a lot of people said ( craigix,exophase and DaveC ) this thing will falling down very fast. I love so much my gp32. the wiz was great with its oled, but 2.8' screen is too small for me. i own it, but i have difficulty when playing emulator on that small screen. but its better than playing emulator on the gp2x 3.5 screen with a stick. finally i prefer my gp32. i prefer to have a 3.5 lcd screen than another 2.8 screen. but the best will be a 3.5 oled.

Im a big fan of handheld, i could preorder this Caanoo thing tomorrow, if they change the analog stick for a d-pad. the dingoo got sucess because of this d-pad.
I will buy a Pandora someday that for sure,its a awesome handheld, but i always want like a lot of people here, a small handheld with a 3.5 screen and a d-pad that work correctly with emulator, that is easy to bring anywhere. NOBODY is able to do one ? is it really so hard ??

- 3.5 screen size
- Great d-pad
- small handheld.

its really bad they got that 3.5 screen and small handheld form, BUT I WILL NEVER BUY A HANDHELD THAT ONLY HAVE A analog stick like the zodiac.

GPH lost me. I will never buy this thing. they better add a d-pad or change that analog stick for a d-pad before its release time. the worst thing is, i think i cant mod a handheld console with a analog stick for a d-pad. i dont think its possible.

the future look really bad for GPH.

i think i must do like craigix and others and make my own handheld for playing homebrew and emulator. :) im sure i could sell a lot of them just by these 3 factors i said earlier. it sure it need a a great battery that can be change,a no ghost lcd screen ( not like the psp) and need others important feature. But most people in this community could have done a better handheld than that Caanoo handheld made by GPH

( sorry again for my bad english)LOL

im really dissapointed.

i hope someone has enough influence to get that stick change before release

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll agree that the Zodiac's analog was pretty shitty for emulating systems with a dpad, but other than that I liked it... I didn't have any problems with my analog as others did though, so *shrugs*

I do agree that a wiz upgrade with an analog seems stupid, and keeping with the OLED would have been nice (although risky, as we all know about OLED's faults... and from what I remember it compounds with size...)

*edited to make more sense for Nova ;)

I think it's funny when someone tries to claim an analog is shit for emulators. As if emulation doesn't cover such a broad spectrum of games. If emulation by you guys' definition was a video game, it'd have just 4 directions and need 8 buttons minimum to play.

BTW you need the "I'm getting the Caanoo, and am indifferent to the stick" option.

i cant put more than 15 choices , im sorry LOL

.. but i could remove a few stupid ones. LOL

EDIT: i just added the option you ask for Dunny

YOU CAN REQUEST A NEW CHOICE, i will make change if nescessary, no problem. but for now i going to sleep. i will change it tomorrow if i have request. thanks

EDIT2: my english is not enough great to understand that statement: I voted for the second-to-last one.

Im not joking. :(

Edit3: i try to translate that in google: I voted for the second-to-last one
Still im not sure about the meaning LOL

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR VOTES

"Don't play emulators and am more than happy to have an analogue stick for homebrew"?

Orkie said:
"Don't play emulators and am more than happy to have an analogue stick for homebrew"?
+1

Orkie said:
I doubt enough people will buy this for there to be a good number of original games for it.
But yeah, I guess it might look good from a developer's perspective.

I think it's rather bizarre. If you want a D-Pad, get a DS or a PSP - they have the best ones, and they run emulators.

Then there are games the D-Pad handles horribly, like fighters. I'd think if they get MAME and CPS running on it, it should actually be reasonably solid.

migo said:
I think it's rather bizarre. If you want a D-Pad, get a DS or a PSP - they have the best ones, and they run emulators.
My advice would be: Get a Dingoo!

What's the point? The Dingoo only plays emulators and a few native games. PSP and DS both have their own library of games, and in particular with the DS they can't even be emulated on anything else. In either case you get a much better overall experience with the PSP or DS, and given the PSP-2000 is coming in at $110 refurbished from EB Games nowadays, you're paying a very small price premium over the Dingoo. I'm not sure what the DS Lite is costing, but it can't be far from that price either. Dingoo will also result in shipping costs and likely import duties. Really not worth it.

The Wiz brought the OLED screen to the table, which had potential, and the Canoo brings an analog stick, which is at least different and opens up potential for other types of games.

migo said:
What's the point? The Dingoo only plays emulators and a few native games. PSP and DS both have their own library of games, and in particular with the DS they can't even be emulated on anything else. In either case you get a much better overall experience with the PSP or DS, and given the PSP-2000 is coming in at $110 refurbished from EB Games nowadays, you're paying a very small price premium over the Dingoo. I'm not sure what the DS Lite is costing, but it can't be far from that price either. Dingoo will also result in shipping costs and likely import duties. Really not worth it.
I was lucky getting a Dingoo for only 60 €, therefore I suggested it. I see your point though.

migo said:

The Wiz brought the OLED screen to the table, which had potential, and the Canoo brings an analog stick, which is at least different and opens up potential for other types of games.

A lot of people don't really care about PSP or DS games whatsoever and just want to emulate old ones, the markets have proven this.. you can't claim that the libraries these system are some kind of objective reason why people should buy that. Now, about the emulators themselves - you can't really say with a straight face that for any gaming platforms with d-pad and face buttons DS or PSP offers the best emulation possible. Right off the bat DS fails to offer all the resolution for a lot of platforms and it certainly lacks horsepower - you can only emulate SNES at the expense of (sometimes severe) graphical glitches and Genesis at the expense of (usually) cutting off a good bit of the edges of the screen. PSP suffers from either a really ghosty (PSP-1000/2000) or badly interlaced (PSP-3000) screen, resolution that's a poor aspect and scale factor for emulating most platforms. I haven't used a Dingoo, but I know PSP's d-pad wasn't exactly stellar so there is certainly room for another handheld to be better.

Then you have other hardware overheads.. on DS you need to buy a flash card. On PSP you pay more for Memory Stick Pro Duo over SD. Dingoo has 1+GB internal NAND so if you just want to emulate small games you can put a decent amount on it before even needing an SD card at all.

Dingoo can be bought for about $80 new. Buying used or even refurb is another hit against what you're getting, I don't know how you can consider it a level comparison after that. Saying that $80 vs $110 shouldn't matter for anyone is a little insulting for anyone who really is on such a tight budget.

I don't know why you single out DS as having games that can't be emulated on anything else.. they can be emulated on PC, much more reasonably than PSP games can be. Or maybe you're one of those people that thinks without two screens it's no good emulating it, I dunno.

thanks exophase I THINK EXACTLY this:

Right off the bat DS fails to offer all the resolution for a lot of platforms and it certainly lacks horsepower - you can only emulate SNES at the expense of (sometimes severe) graphical glitches and Genesis at the expense of (usually) cutting off a good bit of the edges of the screen. PSP suffers from either a really ghosty (PSP-1000/2000) or badly interlaced (PSP-3000) screen

i have both and i never been satisfied with emulators for these reason.

so im dissapointed because with a proper d-pad the new gph handheld could be very interesting, not perfect but the better handheld from GPH since the gp32. anyway if i understand the gph history, its not really them that makes the gp32 right ?

Still, not a lot of people have interest to playaing EMULATORS with the Caanoo because of his analog stick. Thats a fact. Can GPH do this to their buyer that always buy their product for classic emulators (nes-snes-pcengine-megadrive...)

i think about it and the best change they can do, Its add a d- pad with the actual analog joystick and change the position of the analog stick. with that that handheld will Rocks for sure. im so dissapointed this time. when they released the wiz i was thinking... the next handheld will be awesome, becausze the wiz was actually the better console since the gp32, for me at least.

i will ADD the Choice ask before.

thanks all

I haven't seen anything wrong with emulated Genesis or SNES games on the PSP. As for the market proving that people don't want new games. GP2X sold 60,000 units. That's nearing Gizmondo territory, so there really isn't much of a market for it at all. A few people are happy with it, but most people would rather play new games as well as old. The homebrew and emulation community is also much larger for the PSP thanks to its larger install base. I'm sure there are more Pandora Batteries floating around than there are GP2X, GP32, Wiz and Dingoo units combined. Support for any emulation only system dies pretty much the moment the next system comes out, whereas if you get a PSP the support will stay a lot longer at least until the PSP2 gets released, and even then Sony's track record shows the PSP will continue to be supported for years.

The GP32 lasted 4 years, the F-100 2 years, F-200 2 years, Wiz 1-year. A320 support is uncertain as the A330 could get launched any day now for all we know, it's not like the Chinese PMP market is entirely stable. If no new units are being sold, development and support for the platform is going to die. Even though the PSP-3000 and PSPGo seemed to be a lost cause for homebrew, people stuck with it and though you have to launch it each time you've now got CFW and homebrew emulators on those too.

$80 new doesn't count shipping and import duties. You can get a PSP off craigslist with no taxes even for less than the total you're paying for the Dingoo, and the PSP has a good enough reliability track record that I'd feel better buying one second hand than some cheap chinese PMP.

DS games won't be emulated at all on the PC, you'd need some sort of controller that handles it, either splitting up 2 external number pads on either side of a Wacom tablet or some other ridiculous contraption.

Back