Ibook Question

speedmike

I'm gonna turn it back and run it again
Website
www.zanman.com
SO I'm going to buy an Ibook over christmas break.

I really want an Ibook Clamshell style 466 se, but when I look at the prices the 500 and even the 600 mhz ibooks seem to be the same price or even cheaper. Also, I noticed that the clamshell laptops like to have cracked cases, I assume from stress. Do the white ones also crack like the clamshells do? To put it into a conclusion should I forget about the cool looking clamshell and just get a faster all white one instead?

hmmm, any time when you're spending that much money on something that looks "cool" and you're asking for trouble.

as it stands, the clamshells are thought to be "cool" by a large number of people and thus the price is artifically high. How much you got to spend?

A new laptop could possibly be had off of dell instead of something dodgy of ebay that you are mainly getting for the "cool" factor.

The first edition white ibooks must be getting on now, G3 processor with limited vram and ram, is it sufficient to your needs?

What the ...? The clamshell iBooks look like ass compared to the new models. The high prices just don't make sense.

I got like 600 to fool around with in this area B) Thanks for the responses! I think you guys are right. I was thinking about getting one from dv warehouse it comes w/ a 90 warrenty.

if you're in the US then you could try www.smalldog.com, very trusted apple reseller, do some good deals on refurbs too.

also does apple america offer refurbished hardware at all? UK does every wednesday!

Yes in the US. This would be a secondary computer, for I have another laptop that is going to soon be my main computer. I want to get the Ibook so I can do somethings that My PC laptop can't do. I don't need anything to powerful, but then again faster is probably the way to go.

I'll have to check out that website and Thanks for helping me everyone! I have come to the realization that the clamshell:

1. can only do 800 X 600 Which really annoys me whenever I use a computer in that resolution

2. are slow

3. are over priced

4. Suck

Thanks again for everyone that wrote.

speedmike posted on Dec 1 2004 at 05:51 PM said:
I want to get the Ibook so I can do somethings that My PC laptop can't do.

what exactly are you talking about here?

if you're talking about the ilife suite then anything you get for $600 is going to be nastily underpowered, and there are various programs out that can perform the exact same functions on the pc, e.g. windows movie maker, great piece of software!

Last edited by a moderator:
spray posted on Dec 1 2004 at 01:53 PM said:
speedmike posted on Dec 1 2004 at 05:51 PM said:
I want to get the Ibook so I can do somethings that My PC laptop can't do.

what exactly are you talking about here?

if you're talking about the ilife suite then anything you get for $600 is going to be nastily underpowered, and there are various programs out that can perform the exact same functions on the pc, e.g. windows movie maker, great piece of software!

OK, well here is basically what this new ibook would do. It'll be a back up to my pc laptop because i have very bad luck with them always breaking in some way or another, and I basically just want it to play around on a different system. I'm not going to do any video editing or anything like that. The most that this used Ibook will be used for is watching dvds, games (not terribly new ones), word processing, and maybe doing my website on.

My laptop now is a Crappy Emachines that I got only because my last laptop kept breaking (Vpr Matrix) and the service plan let me get a new one. It has an 3200 AMD 64 processor. This should be able to do anything I want it to do as of now.

The ibook is as going to be my mobile laptop as the Emachines will basically sit in place on my desk. I really like that it is 12" where as my eMachines is like 15.4" (I don't know if that is right for the POS is at best buy getting its case fixed) The eMachines likes to get stress fractures really easily for some odd reason.

So, basically I'm just going to play around with it. I use the Mac lab at school and really like to have one at home. So, I think 600 - 650 will get me what I am looking for, or do you guys think I am just wasting money?

Last edited by a moderator:
For £650 you can get a NEW 12" iBook with educational discount!

It'll do DVDs, games, websites... I'm running Warcraft 3 very well (although I mostly use it for StepMania... XD) just that you need Mac versions.

The 12" screen is large enough and OS X hasn't messed up for me yet. It's far more reliable than Windows. I suggest that.

Hey Rico I have another question for you or anyone that might know. do the 500-700 mhz ibooks w/ dvd rom drives read data dvds at all or do they just read movies? Cause I know on my girlfriends 366mhz 770z IBM laptop the thing won't read the data off of the dvds i had burned. Another example is when I gave my friend steve unreal 2k4 on dvd he couldn't open it on his dell laptop and its a 1.2 ghz w/ dvd, but that was like 3 years ago before dvds were really practicle for home use. I don't know if this is something that is normal on older dvd rom drives or not? I have no idea why they wouldn't read but I just wanted to ask because of these two instances. I should ultimately ask if the ibook will read data dvds burned on my PC laptop, say divx files and other movie formats...

Did anyone else ever experience not being able to open burned data dvd's on older dvd drives?

Back