Quick CPU question

Kelvin

Pixel Mercenary
Website
www.kelvinshadewing.net
OK, so I got a Rebirth Edition, and on the first boot up, it asked me if I wanted to run at 1Ghz, but that would cause instability, or 800 Mhz, which was stable but could reduce the life of my CPU, or 600 Mhz, which was the safest. I chose 600, but later on, I saw on the settings tray menu that it listed speeds between 600 and 700. Is 700 safe to run on, or will that also kill my CPU like it said 800 would?

OK, so I got a Rebirth Edition, and on the first boot up, it asked me if I wanted to run at 1Ghz, but that would cause instability, or 800 Mhz, which was stable but could reduce the life of my CPU, or 600 Mhz, which was the safest. I chose 600, but later on, I saw on the settings tray menu that it listed speeds between 600 and 700. Is 700 safe to run on, or will that also kill my CPU like it said 800 would?

I run mine typically around 930Mhz as that is what Notaz's Stress test told me was a stable CPU frequency for NEON code when overclocking... (I ran that utility for 10 hours or so) . I have pushed my rebirth around 1060MHZ without too much issues. 

The Frequencies shown in that tray are based off your CPU config, to reach speeds over 700 or so you need to set the maximum allowed OPP level to 5 and then change the range of allowable frequencies... that is done in the cpu settings in the system menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words: no it wont kill your CPU. 
Speed alone does not change how much a cpu is "used".
Heat and voltage determine the cpu liftime, but heat does practically not exist here.
OPP acts as voltage level, but the option offered by the tool, OPP 5, is save to use in normal cases. 
If you run  24 hours a day tho i would use the minimum OPP 3. 

Personally i run 900mhz @ OPP 3. 
I can go up to 950 but the PS1 emulator starts to flicker then. 

Just set you speed so high till it crashes. 

In other words: no it wont kill your CPU. 
Speed alone does not change how much a cpu is "used".
Heat and voltage determine the cpu liftime, but heat does practically not exist here.
OPP acts as voltage level, but the option offered by the tool, OPP 5, is save to use in normal cases. 
If you run  24 hours a day tho i would use the minimum OPP 3. 

Personally i run 900mhz @ OPP 3. 
I can go up to 950 but the PS1 emulator starts to flicker then. 

You can run 900Mhz when forcing it to OPP3? neither my First Batch nor Rebirth can run more than 800 Mhz stable at OPP3, usually have to bump it up to at least OPP4. 

Also a big misconception people have is when you set OPP5 in the Maximum OPP setting that you are forcing it to OPP5. That isn't the case, that is how high of an OPP level you are allowing the Pandora to use. The OPP level scales with frequency something like, 250Mhz-600Mhz: OPP3, 601Mhz-700Mhz: OPP4, 701MHz+: OPP5... I had an old post that mapped out the exact frequencies just can't find it. The CPU frequency also idles down when not being used for battery efficiency.

Yes, although i did not made much testing. I could be mistaken about its stability. 

I also get decent stability with OPP3 around 900MHz (I think, can't remember how I have it set) but I only tested it for a couple hours at most.  CC Unit.  I may be thinking of OPP4.  Maybe I should have checked before saying anything. 

I also get decent stability with OPP3 around 900MHz (I think, can't remember how I have it set) but I only tested it for a couple hours at most.  CC Unit.  I may be thinking of OPP4.  Maybe I should have checked before saying anything. 

you have to force your Max OPP level to 3 then try to set the CPU to 900MHz. Stability will be apparent when trying to do something intensive.

you have to force your Max OPP level to 3 then try to set the CPU to 900MHz. Stability will be apparent when trying to do something intensive.
At one point while messing with it I did have some instability while playing some games.  I really don't remember everything I was doing to try it all out as I only messed around with it one day, then set it for what I thought was "optimal".  I eventually just started changing them without caring much about trying to preserve the cpu, and switching it back down when I was done.  I still haven't checked, but my guess is that I have it at 666MHz and OPP3 right now.  I usually bump it up to 800 or 900 and OPP4 for games now because I am lazy.  I should probably just leave it there.

At one point while messing with it I did have some instability while playing some games.  I really don't remember everything I was doing to try it all out as I only messed around with it one day, then set it for what I thought was "optimal".  I eventually just started changing them without caring much about trying to preserve the cpu, and switching it back down when I was done.  I still haven't checked, but my guess is that I have it at 666MHz and OPP3 right now.  I usually bump it up to 800 or 900 and OPP4 for games now because I am lazy.  I should probably just leave it there.
It doesn't hurt keeping the Max OPP to 5, if you keep it at 600Mhz it will still use OPP3 until you overclock it.  You can run the dmesg command after you set the CPU frequency if you notice it will output what OPP level you set it at a frequency that will make it shift to a higher or lower OPP level.

Back