I'd Like To Play Amiga Games, But How?

Spirit

I would really appreciate a newbie guide on UAE4ALL and how to play games with it. I tried loading something and ended up with a black screen. It is emulating a whole operating system or something? I never used an Amiga so I have no idea how to control it.

So, are you awesome? Please give a step by step overview what format of games, how to load them, special keys, etc.

Thanks!

Ok, when I try loading a game I get a grey screen. If I press Start on it, the mouse/joystick toggle happens. I tried 5 different A500 kick.rom files. What is the culprit?

Spirit said:
Ok, when I try loading a game I get a grey screen. If I press Start on it, the mouse/joystick toggle happens. I tried 5 different A500 kick.rom files. What is the culprit?

I think the kick files needs to be 512k.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that, they all were.

What version should one use? I assume kick13.rom means 1.3?

Hi Spirit, as far as I know, UAE4ALL is only an A500 emulator, and you are using Kickstart roms from later Commodore models. If you had a 2.0 kickstart (512kb) that might work because that's for an A500+, but I recommend version 1.3. I have two Amiga 500s here, and they both have 1.3 ROMs. Check the Kickstart ROMs page at Wikipedia for a reference table of Kickstart versions. You're correct about the kick13 being 1.3. Note the size for Kickstart 1.3 is 256kb. It doesn't matter if you download it from an emulation site for another platform such as the PSP. Try it out, and don't forget to rename the file to kick.rom.

The Amiga is truly awesome; nay, no words can describe how wonderful it is. You're in for a major treat.

Maybe I had some bad PNG. I downloaded the latest version that john4p posted and got a kick.rom from a friendly user. Now the screen turns white after that dreaded grey phase and some amiga screen is display. I have not yet successfully loaded a game but I think I am on the right track.

Can I only play cracked games ("[cr]" in TOSEC)?

I loaded "Secret of Monkey Island, The (1990)(LucasFilm Games)(De)[cr QTX](Disk 1 of 4)[a].adf" and now I have a "Workbench" with a file called "Monkey1" on it. I cannot move the mouse onto it though, there is an invisible barrier at the middle of the screen.

Ok, "Worms (1995)(Ocean)(M3)[cr FLT](Disk 1 of 3)[a].adf" is kinda working.

Thanks for the help.

craigix said:
I think the kick files needs to be 512k.

Indeed, and I have just discovered that the actual ROM is 256k, but if you have a 256k file like I did, you can just cat it twice to make a 512k ROM and that works! It seems that 512k dumps from the machine just have the 256k image twice in the address space - weird but it actually seems to work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back