Idea For An Anti-theft System.

atomicthumbs

I am the king of the collectors, with hospital bed
Website
printeronfire.org
How about a program with some sort of trigger (say, putting in a password, or running a trigger program every day) that, if not done properly, sets off a watchdog timer?

The timer would connect to the nearest open Wi-fi hotspot, and report the IP address either to a central server, or to a specified SSH server. Then it would append the IP address to a text file. Another mechanism could be used.

This would be useful if your Pandora was stolen.

Another idea: seeing as how you can use Google Maps on the iPhone through wifi hotspot triangulation? How about using the actual physical location for that?

No, that would be to costly and painful for the user. Really, don't flash your Pandora around while in the bad part(s) of town, public transport, or school. It's quite simple. In fact, I have never had an electronic device stolen from me. It's very strange. I could see this being handy with something large (that you could put down and accidentally forget) but something this tiny doesn't really need this kind of security measure.

Well I could probably set this sort of system up myself for nothing (a little bit of shell scripting would do the trick), but it wouldn't really work. Open WiFi hotspots are few and far between (because you have to be relatively close to a router for it to work), and by the time it found one (if it found one) the batteries would probably be dead already.

Also it would have to be equipped with a GPS unit to be effective (otherwise the best thing you have to go by is the SSID, the IP address isn't very helpful), and that costs money. With the cost of GPS you might as well go all the way and put a cell phone transceiver in it.

I also imagine that having to enter a password every so often would be a great annoyance.

Perhaps I shall code it myself once the Pandora comes out. Maybe the watchdog reset trigger would be something simple, like rotating the analog sticks in opposite directions once.

Or maybe it could do it all the time. Oh well, I'll figure it out later.

imec said:
No, that would be to costly and painful for the user. Really, don't flash your Pandora around while in the bad part(s) of town, public transport, or school. It's quite simple. In fact, I have never had an electronic device stolen from me. It's very strange. I could see this being handy with something large (that you could put down and accidentally forget) but something this tiny doesn't really need this kind of security measure.
When I am on Public Transportation is when I usually use my gpxx (I own both) and I go through very very very bad neighborhoods while on public transit going into downtown Philadelphia. All the dope addicts take
"THE EL" because 3 of the stops are big drug areas (probably the biggest spot outside of NYC on the east coast) and only one time did I have any trouble. I was reading a book on my iPAQ when this "gentlemen" struck up a conversation about it, how much it costs, where I got it... Luckily I saw a few friends at the other end of the car and excused myself and went to them. I had my gp2x and my gp32 in my bag. Thank god some friends were on the same car (and on the el, there are no employees or security in the cars, just a panic button and only one of them)

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
christo930 said:
imec said:
When I am on Public Transportation is when I usually use my gpxx (I own both) and I go through very very very bad neighborhoods while on public transit going into downtown Philadelphia. All the dope addicts take
"THE EL" because 3 of the stops are big drug areas (probably the biggest spot outside of NYC on the east coast) and only one time did I have any trouble. I was reading a book on my iPAQ when this "gentlemen" struck up a conversation about it, how much it costs, where I got it... Luckily I saw a few friends at the other end of the car and excused myself and went to them. I had my gp2x and my gp32 in my bag. Thank god some friends were on the same car (and on the el, there are no employees or security in the cars, just a panic button and only one of them)

Chris

What good does a panic button do if there is no-one to respond to the call? :huh:

Peter R said:
christo930 said:
imec said:

Chris

What good does a panic button do if there is no-one to respond to the call? :huh:

It's a 6 car train and the operator (who is in an enclosure) on the first train answers the panic button and asks if everything is ok. I guess if you hit and said you were being robbed, they would pull into the next station and not open the doors, or call ahead and have someone waiting in front of the car you called from. Unfortunately, you can move from car to car. I guess it's mostly there for medical emergencies.

Chris

Karel Jansens said:
magicman5421 said:
Not in the UK, tasers are torture there.
Isn't that the point?

ah yes, but torture is illegal, so the pandora would likely be outlawed. bummer for all the people in the uk...(but not for the muggers)

atomicthumbs said:
How about a program with some sort of trigger (say, putting in a password, or running a trigger program every day) that, if not done properly, sets off a watchdog timer?

The timer would connect to the nearest open Wi-fi hotspot, and report the IP address either to a central server, or to a specified SSH server. Then it would append the IP address to a text file. Another mechanism could be used.

This would be useful if your Pandora was stolen.

Another idea: seeing as how you can use Google Maps on the iPhone through wifi hotspot triangulation? How about using the actual physical location for that?
How about a motion sensor to trigger an alarm. Would be handy for some games too. :D

my gp2x got stolen last year. i will never carry a portable device without a phone-home option again. when i had a tablet pc running linux i configured it to request a [nonexistent] page from my web server when it was turned on and wifi was available, just in case it ever went missing. my pandora will be doing the same thing, even if i have to code it myself.

Sparr said:
my gp2x got stolen last year. i will never carry a portable device without a phone-home option again. when i had a tablet pc running linux i configured it to request a [nonexistent] page from my web server when it was turned on and wifi was available, just in case it ever went missing. my pandora will be doing the same thing, even if i have to code it myself.
how'd you get a phone home option for a gp2x? or did you just not buy another one?

Just don't put your stuff down, and for cripes sake don't take your gizmos with you unless you're in for a long trip. For my stuff I have a combination lock briefcase. People think I'm carrying around papers. I don't correct them. And in general people don't mess with locked stuff (even though the lock could be defeated with a little brute force and some implements of destruction).

Back