Bit of an idea

Can anyone explain what can be the purpose of this ?

How many megabytes of data can take a collection of savegames ?

And what is the advantage of the need to be connected to play local games ?

Or I'm losing the point ?
Basically your saves follow you, so if you upgrade to 1GHz or later down the line Pandora 2 your saves will follow you automatically there, added to if we can get desktop functionality you could continue where you left off on a desktop emulator.

if you happen to lose your save files, or your memcard crashes, a "cloud" sync backup would be a great thing to have. id be happy if something like pndmanager had a button that simply syncs your saves in appdata with your account on repo
Exactly something like this would be neat! :)

Not sure it's good for saves, my PCSX save directory takes over 400MB as you need 1-2MB per savestate (even compressed) for something like PSX, I can guess N64 would be similar. Depending on emulator, the savestates are often incompatible with anything on PC, so there is not much point to sync with it in those cases.
Well this is why I mentioned that it could be that the PXML would export the types of things to sync - And yes savestates are not generally cross emulator compatible, but native saves (SRM, memcard, flash) generally are. I know that if I could code it... I would have done already... :S

I think a saved-games service would be great.

It can be nice way to share saved games and show achievements too, if we would want to do that.

I mentioned that I keep saved games in git.

I have a fair bit of experience with using git for simple file sync and backup.

I use git+ssh for all my code projects, all my websites, client websites, my DNS config, my /etc directories, my important dotfiles, even my mail.

Git is much quicker, safer, and more efficient than IMAP for mail!

Git can compress files much more efficiently than squashfs.

It can keep full history very efficiently, and we can also tell it to forget old history.

I'm setting up git repos for Pandora source code at the moment, and could do a saved games tool / service.

I'm considering to keep a history of unpacked binary PNDs in git, for efficient storage.

I hope to write fusegit, to use git directly as a filesystem.

Not sure it's good for saves, my PCSX save directory takes over 400MB as you need 1-2MB per savestate (even compressed) for something like PSX, I can guess N64 would be similar. Depending on emulator, the savestates are often incompatible with anything on PC, so there is not much point to sync with it in those cases.

I expect they would compress down a lot in git, I'll try it later.

The emulator snapshots might not be portable, but I guess the game's normal save states are?

In any case it's good to have a backup. I'd be angry if I'm 90% through a big game when my SD card catches fire, and no backup! Gaming is serious business!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back