Idea/request: Osu! Port For Pandora

jdbye

osu! (clicky) is a PC remake of Elite Beat Agents/Ouendan for the DS, and it's really polished and has a lot more features than the originals. There is already a port for the iPhone (though lacking in features), but the Pandora seems like it would be the perfect platform for osu! - unlike the iPhone it has a stylus, and the screen size and resolution are perfect for the game.

Any fan of rhythm games would like osu!, it's completely touch screen controlled so it would be perfect for any device with a touchscreen (and a stylus), even though most people play the PC version with a mouse, the originals were played using the DS touch screen.

UPDATE
He won't release the source code but he did provide the documentation for the beatmap file format here. I might attempt a remake myself, but if anyone is interested we could form a team, the end result would probably be better that way.

You could add it over here and wait for someone to see it, maybe:
http://pandorawiki.org/Port_Requests

No guarantees, but a number of projects that were on that list were ported, so maybe some devs do look at it for ideas.

Esn said:
You could add it over here and wait for someone to see it, maybe:
http://pandorawiki.org/Port_Requests

No guarantees, but a number of projects that were on that list were ported, so maybe some devs do look at it for ideas.
The page says a link to the source code has to be provided, which isn't possible in this case, otherwise I would.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jdbye said:
The page says a link to the source code has to be provided, which isn't possible in this case, otherwise I would.
If it's not Open Source the only way it could be ported is by the original developers.
EDIT: Whoops, I should learn to read...

Aninhumer said:
If it's not Open Source the only way it could be ported is by the original developers.

JdBye said:
It's not open source, but this thread (clicky) on the forum says to contact peppy (the creator) if you're interested in making a port.

<_<

Whoops, sorry. :blush:

EDIT: In the interests of saving face...
Since it's in .NET, do they know if it works with Mono on Linux?
If not, a Linux port would probably be a better target first, since that would be the main work porting it.

Aninhumer said:
Whoops, sorry. :blush:

EDIT: In the interests of saving face...
Since it's in .NET, do they know if it works with Mono on Linux?
If not, a Linux port would probably be a better target first, since that would be the main work porting it.
I found this post by the creator:
To be honest, getting osu! to display and make sounds on mono is a few hours work. I have already got this far. It is all the intricacies that make it hard. Things like keyboard layouts, multiple language input support, external calls, window handling, timing, updating, distribution, obfuscation/protection, optimisations et c.

This isn't to say it won't happen, though.
Some of those things won't be an issue on the Pandora - multiple language input support or different keyboard layouts for example isn't necessary since all Pandoras have the same keyboard. It could just be hard coded to the Pandora's keyboard layout. It doesn't really seem like it would be that much work for a basic port from that post - how hard could it be to discard the window handling in favor of direct framebuffer access, for example? Not sure exactly what external calls he uses so that could be a considerable amount of work to port into their linux counterparts (It does use XNA...). Though I'd happily donate $20 to anyone who made a basic port (single player, local highscores and support for the existing beatmap format so I could just take my songs dir and drop it on the SD card). That's basically what the iPhone port has, though the iPhone doesn't let you copy files directly onto it so they had to work around that by downloading songs directly on the iPhone...
It does work in Wine... some kind of Wine layer that let apps be ported with less effort would have been nice. Basically native Windows libraries for ARM.

Maybe it would be easier to port the iPhone version to the Pandora? Though that was developed by a different guy so you'd probably have to contact him instead. (this guy)

See, I could have sworn that we already had Osu running on a Pandora. I thought I remembered seeing a video of it on PandoraPress, but obviously not. Unless there's another EBA style clone that I'm not thinking of that was ported.

WizardStan said:
See, I could have sworn that we already had Osu running on a Pandora. I thought I remembered seeing a video of it on PandoraPress, but obviously not. Unless there's another EBA style clone that I'm not thinking of that was ported.
osu! is pretty much the only EBA clone, there's Custom Ouendan for DS but it was never completed so it sucks. DDR clones are a lot more popular, but DDR isn't as fun without a dance pad.
Anyway, a osu! port would be better than a new EBA clone since there's a huge library of beatmaps for osu! already, and a lot of players, and it could have interconnectivity with the PC version. Beat2X for example doesn't support the formats StepMania uses so you can't just take your StepMania songs dir and drop it on a SD card (unless Beat2X has changed since I used it on my GP2X), and I was unable to successfully convert any .dwi files to Beat2X, so that severely limits the songs you can play.

Jdbye said:
Anyway, a osu! port would be better than a new EBA clone since there's a huge library of beatmaps for osu! already, and a lot of players, and it could have interconnectivity with the PC version. Beat2X for example doesn't support the formats StepMania uses so you can't just take your StepMania songs dir and drop it on a SD card (unless Beat2X has changed since I used it on my GP2X), and I was unable to successfully convert any .dwi files to Beat2X, so that severely limits the songs you can play.
If a new clone was made there's no reason it couldn't be designed to support Osu! beatmaps.
It would probably require assistance and documentation from the devs about the format though.

Aninhumer said:
Jdbye said:
If a new clone was made there's no reason it couldn't be designed to support Osu! beatmaps.
It would probably require assistance and documentation from the devs about the format though.
Of course, but they might not have known of the existance of osu! or might have preferred to make their own format instead of using someone elses :)

Bump with content.
I contacted the creator, he won't release the source code, but he did provide the documentation for the beatmap file format. Here
According to him it took around 2 weeks of on-and-off work to make the iPhone version (made by someone else)

Back