In The Meantime...

CoLDSToRAGE

Still Fresh
Website
www.coldstorage.org.uk
Looks like ETA on my Pandora is just before Christmas 2010.

This got me looking around to see if there might be something else out there I could get for my Birthday in July.

I've done some looking around and the UMID BZ looks a likely candidate.

It's a bit bigger, but it's 1024 x 600, good battery life, decent processor and runs all the emulators under Win XP.

You can get a USB mini- game controller too.

Not as elegant or compact as the Panda, but it's keyboard is more 'standard layout' and build quality looks good from what I've seen on YouTube and in various reviews. It's not a huge amount more $$$ than Pandora.

Anyone tried one / got one?

Any other suggestions?

:)

Nova said:
How about a Wiz or Caanoo?

My main requirement is something with a keyboard. The Pandora is great in that it's essentially a fully fledged Linux UMPC but has all the controls for retro (and bespoke) gaming. It's also got the horsepower to do some really useful things.

So anything without keys isn't going to suit the role.

I'm currently writing some books, and I like to add to them when the mood takes me, so a keyboard is essential.

Last edited by a moderator:
Caanoo has a USB port, so you can connect a proper keyboard.

Caanoo isn't coming out until August.

If typing is a high priority you should probably stick with a UMPC like you're looking at and not a phone (Pandora is a little better in that regard IMO). The UMID BZ looks nice to me, if the Viliv N5 doesn't end up being released very soon (doubt it would make it in time).

The UMID BZ does look pretty good - if I were to give up on Pandora that might be what I would get. (Although I would really miss the full-size (and double) SD slots, I just don't see a lot of good alternatives)

I would not be interested in the Viliv N5 that Exo suggests because its GPU is the "Intel" GMA 500 (From what I have heard the situation is about the same now as then) - Which I suppose doesn't matter if you stick to Windows. I wouldn't.

(Of course the Pandora also has PowerVR graphics, but I get the impression that the driver for it is at least somewhat maintainable)

Back