Inspiration Thread: Best Emu Games For The Gp32

Surfer74

Still Fresh
Hello

Since everyone has a limited knowledge and most people play the emulated games, they used to play on the original console 10+ years ago, I thought it might be a good idea if people just post their favorite emu games for the gp32. You know, those games who are a.) brilliant and b.) really run well on the gp32 and do not not work or work slowly, like unfortunately alot of great vintage games. So mention the emulator and settings as well... my favorite is:

Advanced Military Commander / Advanced Daisenryaku (Genesis, emulator: Fgen32)
It has no sound but that doesn´t matter at all on a hex field strategical. In my opinion, by far the best game on the Genesis and the best round-based strategy game I ever saw, including modern games. I use the translated version, which makes it well playable. It was never released outside Japan and maybe isn´t well known, but if you liked Nectaris on the PC-Engine and later played Battle Isle on the Amiga and Panzer General (which actually was made to be the PC version of AMC), then you can´t miss it. The really good thing is, it runs perfectly on fgen32 in full speed. Having fgen32s 10 save states is alo great, because the original only had 3. If you are into round based strategy, you really should have a look

Ok, now your turn... bring on those great perfectly emulated games :)

Street Fighter 2 Turbo - Fgen32

It just plays great with sound almost full speed, but it has no voices. Playing Street Fighter 2 Turbo in a portatile console was my dream since i've saw it for Gameboy Advance. I don't have to do a description, i think all of you already know this game.

Streets of rage series - Fgen32

Same like street fighter, plays great, but it has no voices. This is one of the best beat'em up games i ever played. You fight across different levels, including streets, pubs,...

Dynamite Headdy - Fgen32

Not full speed at all, but it has sound. I'm sorry, i can't do any description, my english is not so good and i don't know how to explain me at all. :unsure:

LOTS of titles for the C64, the ones I have enjoyed most recently being

Pipemania (or most puzzle games of this kind)
Dizzy Series
Leaderboard Golf
Zynaps
Paradroid
Uridium
Boulderdash

I could go on forever! The C64 had legendary gameplay and sound which is pretty much intact on the GP32, the speed is basically 100% too. The addition of savestates to Frodo has really opened up some of the more complex C64 titles on the GP32, and it's quite rare I now find a game which doesn't run or isn't playable (even text stuff is now doable with the chatboard)

On some of the other platforms, Tetris on the Gameboy is a good solid choice for 5 minutes and Sonic runs well on FGEN32 with sound. The PC Engine emulator is also great, R Type & Klax are good on that.

®

where can i get a translation patch for that Advanced Military Commander / Advanced Daisenryaku game?

Zork 1,2 & 3
Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Hell, any Infocom text adventure for the Atari 800 emu.

Proof that 20+ year old games that have no graphics, sound or any gimmicks, can still entertain for hours.

Hia :),

The ones I play a lot are:

Sonic the Hedgehog (Megadrive) running on FGen32
Kid Icarus (NES) running on Little John
Kirbeys Adventure (NES) running on Little John
Jumping Jack (Spectrum) running on Speccyal
Jet Pac (Spectrum) running on Speccyal

And not on Emulation but Ported are:

DOOM V9 (Originally PC)
Pinball Dreams (Originally Amiga 500)
Rick Dangerous (Originally Amiga 500)

I'm desperate for a version of Starfox (SNES) to be playable on the GP32. But have not found anything that will even run it yet :(. If my memory serves me correctly, Starfox had extra hardware in the cartridge to handle the 3D routines.

Tatty bye for now,
Clare.

I often play :

Puyo puyo 2 (kirby's dreamland a-like) on FSMS
Sim theme park on the SNES emu
Lemmings on Fsms
Quarth on FMSX
HERO on COLEM
Aleste 2 on MSX
Doom (ported)
Parasol stars on the PCengine
GODS on the SNES (runs almost full speed with sound on 0.2)
Rick Dangerous GOLD (ported)

Luigis Adventure, Sunnyside World, Super Mario Returns - based off SMW using YI graphics! (Yoshi's Island doesnt work on GP, but this is the nearest you're going to get)

Phantasy Star 4 on fgen - full sound and speed.

Chrono Trigger on Opensnes

MGS was pretty good on GBC; I bought it when I had my GBA. You could get away without using stealth alot (im crap at it). Found it pretty fun :)

I play:

GB/C:
Marios
Tetris
Genesis:
Sonic
Nes:
Mario 1/2/3
Turtles (first game I owned)
Flintstones (one of my first games)
SNES:
Super Putty (stepdad had it on Amiga)
Sim City
Tetris Battle Gaiden
Super Street Fighter 2: Turbo
SMS:
Sonics

Great thread, I've picked up many great games i hadn't played before due to everyones recommendations! Keep them coming :)

P.s. I recommend:

PC Engine:
Parodius
Liquid Kids
Galaga 90

Spectrum:
Jack the nipper 2 in coconut capers
All Dizzys
Skool Daze

C64:
Last Ninja Series
Exile

Genesis:
James Pond 2, Codename Robocod

All Lucasarts adventures on Scummvm
(hope we eventually get broken sword, beneath a steel sky an simon the sorceror support on GP32!) :)

What about some good homebrew recommendations?
What are the best ones around?

lizard808uk posted on Sep 23 2004 at 10:07 AM said:
Luigis Adventure, Sunnyside World, Super Mario Returns - based off SMW using YI graphics! (Yoshi's Island doesnt work on GP, but this is the nearest you're going to get)

these are hacks, right? where can i get the patches?

Last edited by a moderator:
Copy of a PM I sent someone else on the forum:

You need the original SMW game for SNES and then a patcher program from Fusoya's Niche. This will then run in os9xgp.

Then go to this thread here, download and use the patches --> http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=1174

The best ones are Luigis Adventure, Super Mario Returns and further down the page SunnySide World

Also this link here --> http://board.acmlm.org/thread.php?id=5608

This is a demo but really shows YI graphics at work in a SMW game. (Again you need to use the patcher linked at the top of this page to add the patch to the rom).

Have fun!

lizard808uk

i never used these patches, because i thought, it'll be the same level design, just the textures are replaced, aren't they?

or is there also a different level design?

They make it a completely different game ;)

Increasingly level design is becoming more sophisticated with the overworld and individual levels. Also the graphics are increasingly using "ExGfx" or graphics from other games entirely separate from SMW. For example, now Yoshis Island graphics are popular in SMW hacks (and my reason for hunting down for GP32, since we can't play YI), but I have seen SMW levels based off Super Metroid themes for example.

There is also sites that document the ASM routines in the ROM in order to further customise the games to user satisfaction.

Think of it this way, SMW is the bare bones platformer (which in reality is still one of the best around), and the hacks allow for entirely new platformers to be created based on the SMW engine.

absolutely awesome!

now i see, after i browsed the pages, looked at the screenshots and of course downloaded them.
SMW is also my fav platformer, so it's like, there new levels.
thanks for this info, man! as i said, i always thought the textures/graphics where just replaced...

Back