...instead of a new lens for my Canon...

Hippies! Yeah, I figure the whole open source thing is pretty "peace and love", at least on a conceptual level. Might be just wishful thinking on my part though. :p but I know the hippiest (is that even a word? It should be!) person I know will be 100% behind the pandora project when he hears about it :D He'd buy it in a flash if he wasn't even poorer than me. Besides he's one of those guys who bought a PSP just for the emulators. I don't think he's played a single native PSP aside from the ones I borrowed him so he could try them out :) hmm... I'll quit my ADHD rant now, lol :p

Yes, I can see how there could be an appreciation of the Open Source concept.

However, as you've pointed out - Hippies generally speaking can't afford a Pandora (though in my opinion would be the perfect piece of tech for a hippie lifestyle)

The place where I live I'm surrounded by hippies. From my observations they live hand to mouth. They don't like working. A lot of them live in tents / do not have electricity.

When talking to a hippie - they will expound the virtues of new age spirituality, psychedelics, and being provided for by the Universe (a justification for living like a bum and being bone idle and jobless IMO).

They will then go on to describe the evils of money and technology.

Most of them wouldn't even know how to use a Pandora.

Yes, I am prejudiced. :)

My hippy is pretty tech savvy :p And I doubt he thinks money and technology is evil... But I (as a person who's always been a little bit of this, a little bit of that) would say that unless we remember that both money and tech are tools and not goals we WILL seriously mess up our lives and die sad and lonely :p having fun and being happy should be higher on ones priority list than having the biggest salary and the fattest bling ;)

Haha, I like you guys, you seem to be into discussing a lot of stuff judging from this thread xD

For some reason my mind associates hippies with apple. I most certainly don't see your stereotypical nerd as a hippie.

Haha, I like you guys, you seem to be into discussing a lot of stuff judging from this thread xD
Hehe. You have no idea :p

Jokes aside, congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the community!

My friend is a bit of an oddball (as am I, when I think about it). Or what do you call a Christian dude with dreads who's into some new age, is a self-proclaimed anarchist, loves the punk rock movement, digs folk music as much as video games and is one of the funniest guys to have around on a party (even though most people understand about 1 word in 3 of what he says when he's drunk)? Oh yeah, he loves fantasy and know the bible like the back of his hand too. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome BTW :) (I'm sorry for the double post but don't know how to edit posts in the mobile version of the forums)

I see myself as more of a liberal, though not quite on the level that FaeMinx just described.

Oh shit, I just derailed another thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
See… he won
laugh.gif

What did he win? A lolcat? He can't have my lolcats :(

...sorry, too much 4chan. Onto serious business! Who can come up with a way the pandora will make my photos more awesome and thus prove itself in the face of my unbought zoom lens? :eek: Seriously, any ideas? :)

I switched from my Canon camera to an old Mamiya 645 1000S and can now have lenses and a Pandora since everything for it is cheaper!

Except the film. I can't afford film anymore.

I feel I have to make another apology.

For the record: there was a phase of my life when I indeed was a hippie. Another phase when I was a born again Christian. If you were to meet me face to face now your first assumption would probably be that I'm a socially phobic hippie that works too hard and has a chip embedded two feet into his shoulder.

So my appologies... I *really* should keep my issues to myself. Looks like I go out of my way to alienate myself from everyone I meet. :unsure:

To conclude: Welcome DragonFang, glad to have you with us. Hopefully we can be friends. Please try take my periodic psycho outbursts with a pinch of salt and tolerance. :)

I'll try to behave myself.

No, schizophrenia is when you hear voices in your head. An inferiority complex, perhaps?

Last edited by a moderator:
No, schizophrenia is when you hear voices in your head. An inferiority complex, perhaps?

Oh but I do. I was even booked into a therapy center for 7 months. =)

I would peg it as an inferiority/superiority combo.

the 'voices' are probably the main reason I keep to myself and don't socialize. I find it hard to differentiate between what I hear people saying in my mind and what they say to me face to face.

So I have major trust issues. And an ever present passive (mostly) paranoia.

:)

Back