Instruction Manuel

Username said:
Please don't quote stupid kids movies in a serious discussion. Maybe if it was a better movie it would be acceptable.
Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Here's a movie quote for you:
"They're eating her. And then they're going to eat me. OH MY GAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWD!"

So would a thin manual be a better approach than a "Quick Start" sheet? Something that gives a short overview, diagram pointing out the buttons and ports, and basically says "If you need help, click the Help button in the menu" or something to that effect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Username said:
Please don't quote stupid kids movies in a serious discussion. Maybe if it was a better movie it would be acceptable.
Well that's a pretty obnoxious opinion.

I think most people familiar with the Pandora are also familiar with the PandoraWiki and these forums, so for the most part I don't think anyone is ever going to need a physical manual. I guess it wouldn't hurt to ship something with the Pandora that lists a few simple how to's (buttons, disassembling, charging, turning on, etc.) and gives a link over to the forums and official site. But honestly, I'm willing to bet almost everyone who has a Pandora preorded is familiar with these forums and only a few stray buyers need to be guided in the right direction.

Username said:

You think that is a stupid kid's movie? Maybe this is more to your taste "Dude, where's my car?"

You clearly missed the subtext and commentary, you lowbrow heathen.

BackAssward said:
Username said:

You think that is a stupid kid's movie? Maybe this is more to your taste "Dude, where's my car?"

You clearly missed the subtext and commentary, you lowbrow heathen.
"Dude, where's my car?" is not even a kid's movie. As far as kids movies go The Incredibles is pretty shitty. Also, I did not miss the subtext, I just thought that it was a dumb movie to reference.

On an unrelated note, I think that a (physical) manual would be useless. Maybe a thin 10x10 cm sheet of paper with a diagram of controls/warnings.

why pp is so afraid of a manual?, in some country you cannot sell a product if it doesnt include a manual.
even if 99.999... of the people (in this case 3999 of 4000) doesnt read the manual, it is still needed.

theres nor a single fool proof product, ive seen someone trying to connect a serial mouse into the ps/2 port.

a manual its not just hey you dumb a** you open the lid to see the lcd and if you dare to turn it on the switch is ...

it should include power ratings Charger info, Radio/Freq that uses possible interference blabla bla. (now cellphones need to ship also with a SAR report)
proper way of using dont use while you got a cast/pregnant/fast light sensitive/etc. (this one is to keep some dumb people from filling a suit against OP Team) also posision, time of rest after x time of using.... you pp should look at nowadays consoles to have a guideline, all of this is obvious but hey if someone won a suit against starbucks because his/her drink was hot and i got burnt. people, OP T , please clean your hands even if it is digital, but it HAS to be shipped with the pandora.

also it should include warranty /licenses/, bla bla bla.

my offer of helping writting/translating is still up.

Warranty, disclaimer, power ratings, machine specs, etc. Those should be included in a manual, along with a quick start guide, battery charging information, compatible cards, and information about the USB ports. I see a manual as a printed reference for things you can't look up on the device without it being on.

Most of the time I won't even look at a manual past the quick start guide for setting up (even then I hardly use those), but I don't think there needs to be much regarding the OS, other than basics. Also, if the OP team intends to sell this alongside the likes of PSP and NDS(i) eventually, it'll need a manual.

But even after saying all that, I'm not going to complain if mine doesn't ship with one. :p

DroneB Dev said:
why pp is so afraid of a manual?, in some country you cannot sell a product if it doesnt include a manual.
even if 99.999... of the people (in this case 3999 of 4000) doesnt read the manual, it is still needed.

theres nor a single fool proof product, ive seen someone trying to connect a serial mouse into the ps/2 port.

a manual its not just hey you dumb a** you open the lid to see the lcd and if you dare to turn it on the switch is ...

it should include power ratings Charger info, Radio/Freq that uses possible interference blabla bla. (now cellphones need to ship also with a SAR report)
proper way of using dont use while you got a cast/pregnant/fast light sensitive/etc. (this one is to keep some dumb people from filling a suit against OP Team) also posision, time of rest after x time of using.... you pp should look at nowadays consoles to have a guideline, all of this is obvious but hey if someone won a suit against starbucks because his/her drink was hot and i got burnt. people, OP T , please clean your hands even if it is digital, but it HAS to be shipped with the pandora.

also it should include warranty /licenses/, bla bla bla.

my offer of helping writting/translating is still up.

A physical paper with basic instruction is needed. The warranty could be an ugly card with a passcode if there's a law saying it shouldn't be on the same paper with quick-quide and has to be a physical document (not pandora serial in mail for example).
A manual is needed only when you don't get it from the manufacturer and the reseller doesn't provide support, which is not the case here. It may be the case for a reseller but he just have to claim to offer support by mail or in his shop. The manual can be on Pandora flash just to be safe.
The team doesn't need to 'tremble' about losing lawsuits (if it would be one) because the products is barely advertised and it's backed mostly by technical data, not by someone that doesn't understand the product and say it does something else. The only worry is hardware faults and backing data related to transactions. And of course this: "It's $330 (without VAT)" because the full price (including taxes) its mandatory. Now it's not a problem because someone couldn't present this as evidence for something he/she had to wait so much and as a preorder.

License for what?

My offer on writing is going down (time). If ED decides that my work is acceptable you should speak with him. I won't translate in my native language as it won't be that much interest in pandora. I will never meet a pandora owner that speaks it if he/she doesn't state it here or I'll be giving them one.

WizardStan said:
Many are coming from Windows environments where things like MP3 just works because Microsoft (or Winamp, or whomever) have paid the licensing fee.
A while ago, Microsoft didn't pay the licensing fee, and Windows couldn't play MP3 files as it didn't know how. It didn't take long before information spread on various forums, word of mouth and other that people could just download a piece of software called "Winamp". It certainly didn't tell you about Winamp or where to download it in the manual that came with the PC nor Windows. You had to figure it out for yourself.

Lets face reality here - If you have a Pandora but no access to the internet you are going to be very sad indeed and be left with limited things to do. This isn't a PSP where you can just walk into your favorite gaming store and buy a few games. Everyone who has bought the device so far has done so using the internet, and so people will quickly realise where the discussion forums are and where the places to download software are. If they see an application claiming to play various multi media sound formats, they are likely to grab it if the provided one doesn't do what they want.

I'll be very suprised if someone "didn't even know it was possible to play MP3s".

Squidge said:
A while ago, Microsoft didn't pay the licensing fee, and Windows couldn't play MP3 files as it didn't know how. It didn't take long before information spread on various forums, word of mouth and other that people could just download a piece of software called "Winamp". It certainly didn't tell you about Winamp or where to download it in the manual that came with the PC nor Windows. You had to figure it out for yourself.

To be fair that was probably more to do with M$ trying to push their WMA format than anything else.

As far as I understand there is no licence fee payable for creating a software product that can play MP3s. Shipping hardware with out-of-the-box MP3 functionality requires a licence fee to be paid. Therefore I doubt M$ pays a licence fee for MP3 playing in Windows Media Player.

The slight difference is that M$ doesn't make the hardware. Thousands of PCs are shipped every year with Windows and MP3 playback capability installed right from the word go, and I'm sure the hardware manufacturers don't pay licence fees either. So it could be that the licence is only required if the MP3 functionality is included at firmware level. Or it could be considered that if a company manufactures a device *and* installs MP3 playback software on each unit then they should pay a licence fee.

So I believe (in theory, and I suppose I must ake the standard disclaimer that I am no expert) that while OP couldn't install MP3 playing software themselves, there would be nothing to stop external distributors installing such software and shipping it with their Pandoras.

All this mind-rambling seems to have gone way off topic, for which I apologise.

Pleng said:
As far as I understand there is no licence fee payable for creating a software product that can play MP3s.
MP3 is patented. That means that any software which uses the patented algorithm has to pay the appropriate royalty fees. You can either write the software yourself or license specific decoding software. If you write it yourself, the fee has been 75c per unit for a long time, with a minimum yearly requirement of $15,000 per year. If you develop a codec, it's $2.50 per unit with the same requirement.

Of course, its difficult to get royalties from a software product where the author is only known by an alias and doesn't include his address (such as some freeware software). Its far easier to sue a company if they attempt to do it.

A manual is something that has to be included if you want this to be a serious product. In addition it's required by law in Sweden and probably many more places. It wouldn't be a thick bible but some basic facts and stuff. I agree with most of the people here that it won't be read but that is not the issue. the issue is laws and looking like a real alternative.

they could probably just have a quick start guide kinda thing

1. take pandora out of the box
2. turn pandora on
3. watch your life improve

then a diagram pointing to all the different ports and then on the back something that says "do not throw in water" and "excessive usage may irrevocably change you for the better"

RenegadeChic said:
then a diagram pointing to all the different ports and then on the back something that says "do not throw in water" and "excessive usage may irrevocably change you for the better"

Not forgetting 'Don't touch the feedback circuit'

seriously, I am not against a manual, but it`s basically a small games PC, who wouldn`t be able to work it out before they have even finished lifting it out of the box?

as for countries requiring manuals by law, well, the last MP3 player I bought came in a bubble pack with the name, feature list and a picture on the front and a barcode on the back, no instructions, no manual, didn`t need em, menu and buttons told you all you need to know, same for a FM sender for my car, channel up/down/power buttons, lcd display for freq, lead with jack plug on end, battery hatch on back, where`s the need for a manual? (no...it didn`t have one)

this is the same imo, power switch?....check, how to open?....obvious, volume? ...ditto, SD card slots?....perlease, keypad?....hmmm...pressing X puts an x on the screen....right.....gottit, game controls?...gosh, wonder how they work? [wiggle wiggle] oh! I seeee

yeah, me is being a bit sarcastic, I mean, all this should be obvious to captain caveman, why are 21st century geeks freaking out?

I like manuals for complicated things, obviously you need em for some stuff, like programming languages,or car service manuals, but for a handheld intended to be used out of the box, I don`t see the need, but I guess they will include some sort of instructions, if not in the first batch, then maybe the second.

thinking on a bit, I guess they will have to print a declaration of conformity, warranty conditions, std warnings (do not wire direct to brain, do not use in lava, not compatible with nuclear weapon blast etc), so if they are going to include that in the box they may well go a bit further and add some basic instructions, but even if they didn`t, just post on the forum and someone will get back to you.

thinking on a bit more (last time...promise...my heads starting to hurt) we probably need a "Pandora Users" section in this forum for people to post into over problems they may have come release time.

I don't know why some of you are arguing if there is going to be a manual or not, EvilDragon said he would make one, and also include a CD with a PDF too.*

This is based on my memory from what was said on these forums a while ago, so it might not be entirely correct, but there WILL be a manual in some form or another. Search through EvilDragon's posts.

from what i see theres no fight about if theres a manual or not, it seems that it went down to
if a manual is usefull or not XD.

maybe is the lack of new meat news on the forums people start regresion onto their Troll forms.

:angry: urgh...me NOT troll, urgh! ug!

hides under bridge......

ugh?

eeeewe!

OK! WHO POO`D DOWN HERE :huh:

This thread is very long, so I didn't read all of it - just tossing my 2 cents in.

I agree with Squidge, that a manual should include those worthless basics. I used to read manuals, but then I stopped. I've never encountered a manual with useful information in it.

Recently I was setting up a KVM switch, which came with a 4 page manual. The installation instructions(how to connect VGA cables, and what the big button-switch was) were completely unnecessary. The only important bit, which was actually missing from the manual, was that the KVM switch draws power from the USB port of a turned on computer. Luckily I clued in that the LED was off, and plugged it in, despite it not having a keyboard plugged into it. Interestingly, the manual made no mention at all about LEDs or what to do if they don't light up. I can just picture someone standing there scratching their head wondering why their monitor is black, and wondering why the switch button doesn't work. This would be exacerbated by the monitor saying it's getting a signal, despite the device being "off".

It's pure brilliance - and yes, even a 4 page manual can get it wrong and be useless.

You know what I want to see? Flash tutorials. Screencasts. Those are really good ways to teach stupid computer illiterate people how to do stuff. I imagine the first time my parents set up a NES/SNES, having instructions was probably really helpful! Now we have the benefit of being able to show - in animated form - exactly how to do the same task.

But... luckily for craig et all, most Pandora buyers are reasonably familiar with computers/electronics, if not programming/gaming/scripting/etc.

Fee Fi Fo Fum!

It's not so much that people that need a manual should not buy one (not a very "open" point of view), it's more I'm surprised that such people would 1) know about the Pandora and 2) be willing to stump up the readies in advance. (an opening for a real troll to post a scam reply).
Welcome on-board, I say! My experience of the GP2x is a mixed one and I expect the Pandora to be much the same. Adding new software is a breeze but I've tried and failed to do a few more exotic things. I'm a Unix system administrator by day and sometimes it's a real busman's holiday.
What I'm saying is that a newbie will struggle and that we should have a clear focal point for first assistance, the wiki seems a good place, which can then lead them to the forums and other places.

I expect we'll have a slip of paper with the normal warnings and brief physical introduction. I hope this will cover the key points of the UI (what ever that ends up being). I plan to keep mine in pristine condition in the box so that in 50 years time it'll create a real stir on the Antiques Roadshow.

Come on guys, who ever reads the manual? I always spend days scratching my head till I figure it out myself or bin it and buy a more user friendly device. A manual!!, LOL lol :rolleyes:

Back