Interested with the Pyra, even from afar

Weisz

Still Fresh
Hello! new member on the forums here, been lurking like others and finally decided to join the community.

I've been interested with these types of device and since the days of openpandora, I closely followed the development from beginning till the days of its launch. I mean, its quite a unique thing of its own; closest would be were those UMPCs I'd say (and how often do you see those nowadays?)

Well, I jumped the ship after the debacle of someone-... Well there was the issue of people not getting their Pandoras on time, and since that happened I'd wager someone like me in Asia won't even hope to be able to have it in my own hands. So my interest waned. Until I read about Pyra of course :happy: Thus why I am here!

I take it when Pyra is finally available for everyone, Dragonbox's service caters to people like us, right? Spread the device and the warmth! I'm sure there's a lot more people interested with devices like these..xD

edit: ah dammit, where are my manners? edited my profile so that people can see where I am from (Malaysia) and I checked Dragonbox's shipping table and the country's listed. Niceee

For a long time, all the preorders that weren't able to be fulfilled by profits from the company and community contributions were done strictly in the sequence they were ordered. And at any time, you were able to pay the difference between your preorder price and the actual sale price as far as I remember (at least, that's how I got my unit). So it wouldn't have mattered where you live, but unfortunately parts became unavailable before every one of the preorders could be fulfilled.

But welcome aboard anyway! Always good to have more faces from around the world.

Thanks for the welcome, Levi!

I've read about what happened with the Pandora, and some people out there raged about it. What makes it worse when you see the reviews and people complaining about the worth of waiting/device/effort/etc which makes me wonder whether they are buying just because they can or they really loved it for what it is. :mad: I was thinking of getting one from anywhere even if its secondhand but hey, might as well wait for Pyra xD

When it comes to the Openpandora or the Pyra to each on his own I guess; some sees it as an all-rounder, others see it as emulation or a device that just doesn't know what its purpose is. Me? I just want something that isn't as locked down as the devices we get nowadays.

... And also to brush up my knowledge. I swear I already forgot how to code now. Or maybe even using the DOS :mad:

Welcome Weisz, enjoy your stay:)

I guess I'll use my Pyra for emulation, Dreamcast, Psp etc, as a music player, portable 4g internet and some other stuff.
My phone is 3g only so Pyra would be my first 4g device.

Hi Weisz, welcome to the community.

If you've managed to wait for the Pandora then you can stand to wait for the Pyra.
The way things are going now we are probably looking at the second half of the year until we get a Pyra in our hands.

Hopefully it won't be off by two months :p

Welcome Weisz, enjoy your stay:)

I guess I'll use my Pyra for emulation, Dreamcast, Psp etc, as a music player, portable 4g internet and some other stuff.
My phone is 3g only so Pyra would be my first 4g device.

Thanks for the welcome!

Pyra will have 4g connectivity?? Wait, how? It's already set in stone, consideration or pure speculation? I must read more of this! :eek:

Hi Weisz, welcome to the community.

If you've managed to wait for the Pandora then you can stand to wait for the Pyra.
The way things are going now we are probably looking at the second half of the year until we get a Pyra in our hands.

Hopefully it won't be off by two months :p

Haha, yeah! Honestly though, waiting for the successor however long it is will be worth it for me :D

With Malaysian ringgit (MYR) depreciation against US Dollar (USD), the current Pandora will cost me about 2.5k myr... So I might as well wait for the superior device if I have to buy such a costly device :)

For reference:

US' McD pricing on their happy meals are no more different than ours in Malaysia (the cheeseburger here is hardly a 3 myr more expensive than there) it's just that the IT and tech that are vastly different in pricing...

Pandora is 2.5k myr...
a 2.3 ecoboost mustang is half a million (435,000 myr if I recall)

inflation? GDP? PPP? Don't know, sadly it's not in my field of study. xD But its an expected case for a country like M'sia.

But in my defense of wanting the Pyra, the costs matters little when you already had your sights AND know what you want to do with such a brilliant device... I think:mad:

Thanks for the welcome!

Pyra will have 4g connectivity?? Wait, how? It's already set in stone, consideration or pure speculation? I must read more of this! :eek:
How?, simple it will an all in one cellular module, including GPS and such. There will a different chip for North American and European versions as frequencies are different. there will be a SIM/uSD combo slot under the battery compartment. Also there will also be a version without Cell capabilities, which is most likely what I will get as I don't think I'll need such things.

How?, simple it will an all in one cellular module, including GPS and such. There will a different chip for North American and European versions as frequencies are different. there will be a SIM/uSD combo slot under the battery compartment. Also there will also be a version without Cell capabilities, which is most likely what I will get as I don't think I'll need such things.

Hmm...
IMG_2261_1.jpg

xD at least the pyra is small! But in all seriousness, it is really worth considering. Not many tablets nowadays have SIM slot for connectivity (like my Microsoft SP1), much less able to use it like a phone...

Hi, Weisz. I am an expatriate from Indonesia, working in your home country

I too, am waiting for this niche device. I will using it for emulating dreamcast, psp, and hopefully sega saturn.

Nice to see, another people from Asia is interested in this device

:)

Hmm...

xD at least the pyra is small! But in all seriousness, it is really worth considering. Not many tablets nowadays have SIM slot for connectivity (like my Microsoft SP1), much less able to use it like a phone...

The feature is mostly for Internet on the go, but phone calls can be made, Using a bluetooth or Wired headset preferably.

You can hold it up against your face, if you want. I actually intend to get something like this. The only way it could be better would be if it had an actual pen ejecting from that stylus nub.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Weisz. I am an expatriate from Indonesia, working in your home country

I too, am waiting for this niche device. I will using it for emulating dreamcast, psp, and hopefully sega saturn.

Nice to see, another people from Asia is interested in this device

:)

Yes indeed! Really nice to see a fellow neighbor interested in the same thing too xD lets 'bookmark' each other for future troubleshooting on Pyra! hahah

The feature is mostly for Internet on the go, but phone calls can be made, Using a bluetooth or Wired headset preferably.

I can see it being used for calls with Bluetooth headset. In fact, I'd wager the Pyra can be an easy setup for in-car usage... Just need to find one of the phone holders that clips to the side of the Pyra and kept telling myself not to look at the tiny screen while driving :mad: (I'm driving a car that predates MP3 Bluetooth functionality, haha)

You can hold it up against your face, if you want. I actually intend to get something like this. The only way it could be better would be if it had an actual pen ejecting from that stylus nub.

Ooh, that's nice, never thought it exists! I might actually think of getting that if I hadn't set my eyes on the Plantronics' Voyager.

http://www.x-rates.com/graph/?from=MYR&to=EUR&amount=1

That graph shows indeed that the pandora is 20% more expensive sinds apr 2015...

:(

... And the government kept going on and on about the depreciation of the nation's currency like a raving lunatic soothsaying about the end of the world (actually they claim it more or less like that). One of them even had the guts pointing finger at us and said we did 'nothing' and its-

Ugh! The gall! The nerve!

Sorry I'll drop it here. Not a place for politics discussion :D /endrant

Anyways, I'm glad to be accepted in a welcoming community such as this! I'm not that awfully savvy with Linux, but I'm quite keen on what I can get and learn from all of you :)

I can see it being used for calls with Bluetooth headset. In fact, I'd wager the Pyra can be an easy setup for in-car usage... Just need to find one of the phone holders that clips to the side of the Pyra and kept telling myself not to look at the tiny screen while driving :mad: (I'm driving a car that predates MP3 Bluetooth functionality, haha)
Get yourself one of those bluetooth to FM transmitter things that plugs into your cigarette lighter port. I've used those to play mp3s from my phone to the car radio before.

Back