Interesting Valve/OpenGL, mobile gaming article..

I hope this future is far away.

Don't want to have Steam behind every game.

I want the games to stand on their own. When I purchase the DVD/BlueRay I want to own the copy and no Steam account.

Let's hope GOG finally supports Linux and will become the DRM free source against all the Steam stuff.

Let's hope GOG finally supports Linux and will become the DRM free source against all the Steam stuff.
GOG has been clearly saying they don't want to support Linux (and for bullshit reasons) so they really have no interest in the platform. I'd rather support steam than GOG because of their stupid stance.

Not only do they NOT support Linux, they modify on purpose their windows installer so that it does NOT run on Wine either. What a bunch of bastards.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy just wrote an article including everything I've been thinking about for the last 2 years or so. Steam on linux/windows, in the living room and the bus. Cloud saving and the ability to play what you want when you want wherever you are. Can't wait.

I hope Nintendo will never die (even if it's close to suicide what they do with Wii U right now) as they are the only ones where you still get a console for just gaming and are not forced to link your account to anything.

I very much hope, for Nintendos sake, that they finally do away with that model. I would love a nintendo account where all my games are tied to. Also they are moving their mobile and console teams into one building. I would hope to see them make games that run on both the console and handheld with one purchase, also with cloud saves. That would make nintendo actually ahead of the curve.

My Vision for nintendo. They adopt a steam like distribution model. All the games are tied to an account, including retro games.

They develop a powerful single screen ARM based console and a powerful single screen arm based handheld. They create one development kit for both devices. Developers can simultaneously develop a game for a home console and a handheld. One purchase would get a person a copy of the game for either system with perhaps a small additional fee to play seemlessly on both console and handheld (think 40 dollars for a game and 5-10 dollars to unluck the handheld version.) Cloud saving would be integral to this experience. Then I would like to see nintendo monetize roms in a simliar way to how itunes got people to buy mp3s. Make it incredibly convenient and cheap. Then let the roms be played on both the console and handheld with cloud saves.

Nintendo could really get a jump on the rest of the industry by going arm on the console front and unifying the nintendo gaming experience into one cohesive unit.

Since most people will probably own the handheld and console because of this functionality, they can easily introduce second screen menus and things to the console versions by using the handheld as a controller. 

I would at least keep the dual screen.

Batman and Lego City are awesome with 2 screens.

Also ARM on both consoles would be the right way I think.

Cloud saves are only good if you can still save offline.

I want play with my Handheld in the train and save there.

Also I want to play with my console if my Internet breaks and I'm offline.

Also I don't think those steps are necessary.

If Nintendo would have launched with a good Mario or Zelda Game then there wouldn't have been any problems.

And if they wouldn't have announced games like Bayonetta 2 and didn't release it within one year everything would be a great success.

Nintendo deserves much credit for being mavericks in this industry. The WII U gamepad was the first with a screen and interacting with the game both visually and physically. The 3DS with the 3D screen was a real breakthrough in handheld video gaming. 

I still think [not quite certain] that Nintendo's toast & jam is the handheld market. They still seem to lead the crew here.

** With the plethora of games Nintendo has ,it would be grand if the company could develop a streaming site containing their entire library of games for purchase on PC.** 

Last edited:
The benchmarks of Tegra K1 vs Snapdragen 800 and core i5 4200U from last week were "manipulated". The K1 was running in a specialy cooled housing. So it was at least unfair againt the Snapdragon working in a tablet or smartphone -.-

no offence but Nintendo as a company is horrible! I'm not saying their games are bad, management and attitude is. They release everything they make for their own platfrorms. Now theyr'e choking on it - no surprise..

Read this thread and despair

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/linux_support_on_gog/post1220?staff=yes

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/linux_support_on_gog/post1220

I'd take my chances with the Humble Store. Maybe they are becoming DRM-free at some point,

at least they are labeling DRM-free games specifically by now.

GOG has been clearly saying they don't want to support Linux (and for bullshit reasons) so they really have no interest in the platform. I'd rather support steam than GOG because of their stupid stance.

Not only do they NOT support Linux, they modify on purpose their windows installer so that it does NOT run on Wine either. What a bunch of bastards.
Yes, it has gotten very fishy. By now I am ready to believe, that they get money from Microsoft for this behaviour.

I know GOG doesn't want Linux.

I still hope they will change their mind someday when Steam converted the world to Linux.

And yes, Humble Store is a good alternative (as long as it doesn't sell Steam only licenses).

Yes, it has gotten very fishy. By now I am ready to believe, that they get money from Microsoft for this behaviour.
Actually wouldn't surprise me.

But I wanted to note that that it's not that that "Humble" stuff might slowly remove DRM, it's that they started completely, utterly DRM-free and only recently started also offering DRM-only games.

I think it probably already worsened their reputation quite a bit, on the other hand it increased their profits - only they know whether in the end it paid off.

PS: There is also Desura.
I didn't use Desura a lot.

All I know is that I need an account and some client.

Maybe I'm too afraid that some day those client maintainers say: No, let's kick him

Other example:Rome Total War

In Rome Total War you could simply copy some lines in one file and unlock every nation, no matter if they are intended to be played or not.

You could modify any file you like.

In Rome 2 there needs to be some patch/hack to do the same.

That's what I mean.

You can't do what you want with your game any more as some guys can ban you or protect the game better.

Also some guy got online banned in Dungeon Defenders because of cheating in the Offline Game which doesn't have an affect to the online gaming.

Steam noticed the cheating and the poor guy can never play online again.

That's what I mean.

It's some freedom that Steam takes away.

I want to be able to cheat and hack the game.

That's when the real fun stuff begins.

I wholeheartedly agree and never used Desura or Steam.

Since I stopped giving money to GoG (and having all the old games I want now anyway),

I only use Humble Bundles and the Humble Store and very seldom (because most of their games are quite crappy) "Indie Royale".

Nintendo deserves much credit for being mavericks in this industry. The WII U gamepad was the first with a screen and interacting with the game both visually and physically. The 3DS with the 3D screen was a real breakthrough in handheld video gaming. 
If I had been eating while reading this, I would have choked myself hard!

Ha! "Mavericks in this industry" ? This must be a good joke. Apart from the Wii, there's hasn't been much innovation in what Nintendo does for dozens of years. The WiiU gamepad was nothing new, the same technology was already existing on tablets way before the WiiU was launched, and the touch technology they used on it was crap, too, and the whole thing feels like a toy. The 3DS's 3D screen ? Useless. It did not change how we play games or anything. It's a gimmick that most people turn off after a while. I haven't seen any good reason to keep it on, and guess what, they made the 2DS recently, because they realised people don't really care anyway. 

Nintendo is the least innovative company around, they're from the most conservative part of Japan as well (Kyoto), and that matches very well with their attitude. And in terms of games, they just keep rehashing the same IPs and characters and series over and over again. Mario 36, Zelda 53, Mario Kart 12, Mario Party 79, no thank you. 

Also some guy got online banned in Dungeon Defenders because of cheating in the Offline Game which doesn't have an affect to the online gaming. Steam noticed the cheating and the poor guy can never play online again.

So what ? Steam has clear usage guidelines, it's not like they are hiding them or anything. If you don't like the Steam guidelines, don't use steam and keep buying physical games.

I see Steam as a compromise:

- ok, you mostly get DRM

- you can't cheat and you have to be online sometimes even if you want to play offline

But, at the same time:

- they support Linux all the way

- they sell games cheap, and have sales often

- installing games is straightforward

- you can install the games on several computers at home

- online gaming is free

- cloud saving is easy and painless

- they have a community hub for people who want to mod games and profit from it

So, it's still a pretty good deal. I can play games for very cheap, without having to worry about ordering them and installing them one by one from DVDs or something. 

And, gaming was never about freedom. Even when you buy a physical game there's likely to be DRMs, or online registrations required to activate them. You never get the source code for most games. Most games can't be modded easily. I don't really get what people are complaining about regarding Steam. Plus, they only ban people who are repeated cheaters, usually bans are only temporary otherwise, from what I have heard. 

You don't get 75 millions of users if your service is crap. 

I care about 3D and Iove it. You just have to get into it just like anything else. I will not buy a single 3DS games that don't have 3D. I hope the 2DS won't kill 3D feature on future 3DS games. I will shit on Nintendo President's grave if this happens.

Agreed, I used to love the 3D feature and would never turn it off. It made games a little more fun and in some cases a lot more playable than standard 2D.

Back