Internet Radio

RajBoab

Still Fresh
I was thinking about getting an wifi internet radio but it suddenly dawned on me that my Pandora (when it comes) may fulfil this role. I may need some powered speakers but it should be well up to the job. Are there ant internet radio applications available or would using a web browser be the only option. Don't really know much about it!

i'm not sure, but i suppose mplayer can also handle mp3 and wma audio streams.

but i wouldn't mind a dedicated web radio player, either. something nice and simple like fstream for iphone...

If you limit yourself to last.fm then you can at least bet on using 'vagalume', which was originally written for the Nokia tablets. It's now in standard Debian and shouldn't be difficult to get working for the Pandora. Python app, btw.

bartleby said:
i'm not sure, but i suppose mplayer can also handle mp3 and wma audio streams.

but i wouldn't mind a dedicated web radio player, either. something nice and simple like fstream for iphone...
VLC can tune into any internet radio stream, and even has the shoutcast top 500 built into it's playlist generator. You can also set .pls files used by many internet radio sites to open with VLC by default and tune into any station you can surf to. Mplayer can do this as well, and a dedicated background daemon for this task likely exists as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, that what I wanted to hear. It sounds as if there's a few options available now with probably more in the future.

Thanks for the info!

Stuart

Back