Questions About The Pandora

Squidge said:
Not all apps on the GP2X need root.
This is actually a question I had been holding off on asking (about the Pandora), I'd also strongly prefer if applications would run unprivileged by default. It is better practice from a security standpoint, and I like the idea of logging on to the Pandora to use it. Some will find it a pain, and quickly disable some of the security (using autologin), but I'd much rather be prompted for the username / password like I am on any other Unix system.

Last edited by a moderator:
jmetal88 said:
WizardStan said:
Yeah, I'd say it's much more Indie Rock, and that's about as far removed from Gangsta as you can get.
"Glamorous Indie Rock and Roll is what I want..."

"Its what i need. Indie rock and roll for me!"

AireTamStorm said:
and I like the idea of logging on to the Pandora to use it. Some will find it a pain, and quickly disable some of the security (using autologin), but I'd much rather be prompted for the username / password like I am on any other Unix system.
I don't see a problem with autologin to a standard low-priviledge user account. But if you want to mess with the files in nand, or hack memory directly, then I think it should be required to enter a root password. Those who don't care about security can always have a blank password (but if they then trash the os by 'surfing naked', then they'll have to fix there problems themselves).

AireTamStorm said:
Squidge said:
Not all apps on the GP2X need root.
This is actually a question I had been holding off on asking (about the Pandora), I'd also strongly prefer if applications would run unprivileged by default. It is better practice from a security standpoint, and I like the idea of logging on to the Pandora to use it. Some will find it a pain, and quickly disable some of the security (using autologin), but I'd much rather be prompted for the username / password like I am on any other Unix system.

+1 :D

Squidge said:
I don't see a problem with autologin to a standard low-priviledge user account. But if you want to mess with the files in nand, or hack memory directly, then I think it should be required to enter a root password. Those who don't care about security can always have a blank password (but if they then trash the os by 'surfing naked', then they'll have to fix there problems themselves).

Agreed 100%. Since there will probably be an SD card union on top of NAND for installing WMs / Applications, will the Union have open privileges? I've noticed with certain window managers, they really do not like for /home to be on FAT32, as it does not have any (Unix) ACLs.

Isn't this thing supposed to be un-brickable? If you do find yourself with a Virus just boot from SD and re-flash the NAND.

Pleng said:
Isn't this thing supposed to be un-brickable? If you do find yourself with a Virus just boot from SD and re-flash the NAND.
Ever heard the saying "Prevention is better than cure" ?

(Plus, how do you know you have a virus? If it's just sitting in the background sending your personal data across the internet, you might not notice it for a good while)

Squidge said:
Pleng said:
Ever heard the saying "Prevention is better than cure" ?

(Plus, how do you know you have a virus? If it's just sitting in the background sending your personal data across the internet, you might not notice it for a good while)

Oh yea :blink: Clever me!

taintedclarity said:
Interesting topic, I'd also love to know. But am I the only one who hates sudo?
Probably. ;)

The reason you hate it, I assume, is for convenience. Well, you forget that root actions aren't supposed to be exactly convenient. You're supposed to do as little in root as possible, and sudo encourages this.

On top of that, the permissions system for sudo is just plain better.

All in all, I'd rather having sudo than su on my Pandora. Hopefully that comes by default so I don't have to change anything.

Are there many viruses for arm linux? I know there are win ce and palm os viruses, but I couldn't find any other info. Also, is spyware likely?

javaJake said:
On top of that, the permissions system for sudo is just plain better.
HIGHLY debateable. The sudoers file is probably the least tolerant text config file I've seen on a Linux system. I hate it. That being said, I do prefer sudo over su.

javaJake said:
All in all, I'd rather having sudo than su on my Pandora. Hopefully that comes by default so I don't have to change anything.
Thus, agreed. :D

Back