1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Introduce yourself

Discussion in 'Offtopic Discussions' started by Wally, Sep 8, 2012.

1. blimpsgo180

blimpsgo180 Member

Hello, I'm blimpsgo180.

I have been interested in emulation since first learning about it in high school (maybe fifteen years ago). I was an active member in the Dreamcast emulation/homebrew scene back in the early aught's. I thought it was the coolest thing that my Dreamcast could also double as a NES, Genesis, Gameboy, etc. As time went on, the Dreamcast scene waned in popularity, and I moved on to the OG Xbox scene (installed a modchip and everything), then the GP2X scene, then Pandora, and now Pyra.

All of my work hours are spent volunteering. I volunteer at a library and with Habitat for Humanity, so my current income is $0 a year. I do love what I do though, and Habitat in particular is providing me really good experience.

My other really nerdy hobby is concert taping and trading (they're not bootlegs... this is a totally legal hobby). I used to browse lists of people's concert collections on db.etree.org, email them asking if they wanted to trade, and send and receive padded envelopes of burned CD-R's (and later DVD-R's) with concerts on them. I had two shoeboxes of burned concert discs -- one shoebox full of jazz music, and one shoebox full of rock music. One day (with the advent of the terabyte hard drive) I transferred every single burned disc in my shoeboxes to a hard drive and that is where my collection now resides. I have a car head-unit that plays FLAC files (the preferred file format of concert tapers and traders), and listen to shows in the car. Oh, and I've taped and shared four shows -- Animal Collective, The Wrens, Toby Keith, and Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy music).

All concert trading these days is done on BitTorrent. BitTorrent is about a million times faster than snail mail, but something special has been lost.

FBnil, Failbert, levi and 1 other person like this.
  2. dracmas

dracmas Still Fresh

Hello,
    Dracmas here. Not sure what all to put here. As far as emulation gaming I've toyed with it off and on since the late 90's only a few times for the nostalgia of it lately. I don't game as much anymore since I don't have the time for long winded games, but the pyra will let me do that when I'm out and about. Linux enthusiast since Windows Vista came on the scene and my new computer failed spectacularly running it. Since then I tinker with open source software as a hobby also trying out new distros to see how they run. I'm the family tech guy everyone goes to when windows stops working properly even though I know less and less about it as my familiarity with the OS fades. I'm a grease monkey that does car maintenance though I'm honest in saying I can't do more complicated work. Also a no brainer that I keep the computers up to date at work only because it makes my life more difficult to look up parts in the books instead of an online database.

Lastly my gaming goal is to reach floor 500 on Gnu-Jump. Super simple game but I always seem to fail after getting to 400 which isn't too often. Cheers everyone

3. ladyerrant

ladyerrant Newbie

Hi,
    I'm lady errant. I'm an embedded systems engineer / software developer / RF weirdo. I've had my pandora for a few years, I take it with me pretty much everywhere. Recently I've been involved in a lot of discussions about writing software with the intent of running on slower systems, and I've started porting some of the software I use on a daily basis to the pandora to make it more of a general purpose machine I can use instead of carrying my laptop around. Non-technically, I love books, coffee, tea, anime, and my little pony. I'm sure that places me directly in the middle of SOME stereotype.

benoitb, ClockworkCoder, rygD and 3 others like this.
  4. ptitSeb

ptitSeb Serial Porter

Welcome here!

Without wanting to remove all the fun to port yourself stuff, you can try the "codeblocks" pnd if you want (yeah, shameless plug...), not sure you are aware but it's a full compile environnement directly running on the Pandora. It's much more than just the Code::Block IDE, and contains many compiler (latest stable GCC, Rust, some Basic...) and plenty of libs / software ready to use.
    You can find a version on the repo: codeblocks or a newer version on my beta thread.

5. TrashyMG

TrashyMG Sarcasm Dispenser Staff Member

@ladyerrant - Always nice to see more developers interested in this community.

Just to add to ptitseb's plug of the Code::Block IDE PND. I have to say it's a really good collection of utilities. I don't actually use the GUI Code::Block IDE itself, but it does have a command line launcher that gives you all the tools you need there. I use VIM or Geany for the most part for quick coding on the Pandora.

levi likes this.
  6. PowerGod

PowerGod Advanced Member

Hi,
    it's always good to see more devs around !! :)

(Also stereotype assigned) :D

7. FBnil

FBnil Guess I'll wait 2 more months.

Hey... your target base just expanded by a few million machines!

Klumpen, gpsqueeek and NetBLOKS like this.
  8. Farox

Farox Certified Guru

Hi
    And Welcome

Would be nice to see your port works (any other devs that publish new software ports on Pandora is really welcomed)

9. bestazy

bestazy Newbie

Hello,my name is Dayana im from UK.
    Just want to thank for your forum. :)

rygD likes this.
  10. levi

levi Still fresh, damnit!

This is our forum, you are welcome to it ;)

rygD likes this.
  11. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

Welcome. The weirder the better, though that is far from weird around here :)
    Sounds good, though I don't care much about your little pony. Any specific genres and/or series of books?

Hi Dayana, welcome to the boards. What brings you to our little niche community?

rygD likes this.
  12. Eight Bit

Eight Bit Advanced Member

I don't think I ever wrote something in this thread...

13. Caine

Caine Advanced Member

I beg to differ :)

rygD likes this.
  14. Eight Bit

Before today I mean... D0h :$
    --- Double Post Merged, Jan 15, 2018, Original Post Date: Jan 15, 2018 ---
    I'll get it over with then. After almost 10 years... :D

I'm a 43 yr old sound, light and video technician, working in a medium sized (730 seats) concert hall in Amsterdam. My specialty is sound but I'm very all-round so I have done sound & lights on big festivals for instance too.

I have two daughters aged 9 and 5. I like electronics in general and especially all things Commodore 64.
    From 1989 until now I've been (sort of) active in the C64 demo scene, lately more as a co-organizer of the C64 only X parties than actually making demo's. ;)

I've had a Pandora since 2010, I was a 1st day order-er and actually got my unit delivered by CraigX's company.
    After a couple of years I upgraded to a GHz and never regretted that. I still use my Pandora daily and it's the first thing I pack when I go on a vacation.

Though it's not yet obsolete, I'm now patiently awaiting my Pandora upgrade.

15. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

Welcome, new members!

Yeah, that is how they got me to post here the first time, too.

Welcome, although you have been here longer than me. :p

Eight Bit likes this.
  16. Eight Bit

You posted more though so I'd say you're more "experienced" ;)

17. rygD

rygD Nihilistic Mystic

More experienced posting here, maybe. Nothing else. :p