Introduce yourself

Hello, I'm blimpsgo180.

I have been interested in emulation since first learning about it in high school (maybe fifteen years ago). I was an active member in the Dreamcast emulation/homebrew scene back in the early aught's. I thought it was the coolest thing that my Dreamcast could also double as a NES, Genesis, Gameboy, etc. As time went on, the Dreamcast scene waned in popularity, and I moved on to the OG Xbox scene (installed a modchip and everything), then the GP2X scene, then Pandora, and now Pyra.

All of my work hours are spent volunteering. I volunteer at a library and with Habitat for Humanity, so my current income is $0 a year. I do love what I do though, and Habitat in particular is providing me really good experience.

My other really nerdy hobby is concert taping and trading (they're not bootlegs... this is a totally legal hobby). I used to browse lists of people's concert collections on db.etree.org, email them asking if they wanted to trade, and send and receive padded envelopes of burned CD-R's (and later DVD-R's) with concerts on them. I had two shoeboxes of burned concert discs -- one shoebox full of jazz music, and one shoebox full of rock music. One day (with the advent of the terabyte hard drive) I transferred every single burned disc in my shoeboxes to a hard drive and that is where my collection now resides. I have a car head-unit that plays FLAC files (the preferred file format of concert tapers and traders), and listen to shows in the car. Oh, and I've taped and shared four shows -- Animal Collective, The Wrens, Toby Keith, and Distant Worlds (Final Fantasy music).

All concert trading these days is done on BitTorrent. BitTorrent is about a million times faster than snail mail, but something special has been lost.

Hello,
Dracmas here. Not sure what all to put here. As far as emulation gaming I've toyed with it off and on since the late 90's only a few times for the nostalgia of it lately. I don't game as much anymore since I don't have the time for long winded games, but the pyra will let me do that when I'm out and about. Linux enthusiast since Windows Vista came on the scene and my new computer failed spectacularly running it. Since then I tinker with open source software as a hobby also trying out new distros to see how they run. I'm the family tech guy everyone goes to when windows stops working properly even though I know less and less about it as my familiarity with the OS fades. I'm a grease monkey that does car maintenance though I'm honest in saying I can't do more complicated work. Also a no brainer that I keep the computers up to date at work only because it makes my life more difficult to look up parts in the books instead of an online database.

Lastly my gaming goal is to reach floor 500 on Gnu-Jump. Super simple game but I always seem to fail after getting to 400 which isn't too often. Cheers everyone

Hi,
I'm lady errant. I'm an embedded systems engineer / software developer / RF weirdo. I've had my pandora for a few years, I take it with me pretty much everywhere. Recently I've been involved in a lot of discussions about writing software with the intent of running on slower systems, and I've started porting some of the software I use on a daily basis to the pandora to make it more of a general purpose machine I can use instead of carrying my laptop around. Non-technically, I love books, coffee, tea, anime, and my little pony. I'm sure that places me directly in the middle of SOME stereotype.

Hi,
I'm lady errant. I'm an embedded systems engineer / software developer / RF weirdo. I've had my pandora for a few years, I take it with me pretty much everywhere. Recently I've been involved in a lot of discussions about writing software with the intent of running on slower systems, and I've started porting some of the software I use on a daily basis to the pandora to make it more of a general purpose machine I can use instead of carrying my laptop around. Non-technically, I love books, coffee, tea, anime, and my little pony. I'm sure that places me directly in the middle of SOME stereotype.
Welcome here!

Without wanting to remove all the fun to port yourself stuff, you can try the "codeblocks" pnd if you want (yeah, shameless plug...), not sure you are aware but it's a full compile environnement directly running on the Pandora. It's much more than just the Code::Block IDE, and contains many compiler (latest stable GCC, Rust, some Basic...) and plenty of libs / software ready to use.
You can find a version on the repo: codeblocks or a newer version on my beta thread.

@ladyerrant - Always nice to see more developers interested in this community.

Just to add to ptitseb's plug of the Code::Block IDE PND. I have to say it's a really good collection of utilities. I don't actually use the GUI Code::Block IDE itself, but it does have a command line launcher that gives you all the tools you need there. I use VIM or Geany for the most part for quick coding on the Pandora.

Hi
And Welcome

Recently I've been involved in a lot of discussions about writing software with the intent of running on slower systems, and I've started porting some of the software I use on a daily basis to the pandora to make it more of a general purpose machine I can use instead of carrying my laptop around.

Would be nice to see your port works (any other devs that publish new software ports on Pandora is really welcomed)

Hello,my name is Dayana im from UK.
Just want to thank for your forum. :)

I'm lady errant. I'm an embedded systems engineer / software developer / RF weirdo.
Welcome. The weirder the better, though that is far from weird around here :)
I love books, coffee, tea, anime, and my little pony.
Sounds good, though I don't care much about your little pony. Any specific genres and/or series of books?

Hello,my name is Dayana im from UK.
Just want to thank for your forum. :)
Hi Dayana, welcome to the boards. What brings you to our little niche community?

Before today I mean... D0h :$
[doublepost=1516043927,1516042195][/doublepost]I'll get it over with then. After almost 10 years... :D

I'm a 43 yr old sound, light and video technician, working in a medium sized (730 seats) concert hall in Amsterdam. My specialty is sound but I'm very all-round so I have done sound & lights on big festivals for instance too.

I have two daughters aged 9 and 5. I like electronics in general and especially all things Commodore 64.
From 1989 until now I've been (sort of) active in the C64 demo scene, lately more as a co-organizer of the C64 only X parties than actually making demo's. ;)

I've had a Pandora since 2010, I was a 1st day order-er and actually got my unit delivered by CraigX's company.
After a couple of years I upgraded to a GHz and never regretted that. I still use my Pandora daily and it's the first thing I pack when I go on a vacation.

Though it's not yet obsolete, I'm now patiently awaiting my Pandora upgrade.

Hi,

my name is Jan, I am 24 years old, coming from germany.

Why am I here?

I've started with the open handheld stuff in late 2010, when I've got my first linux experience with a shitty Hercules e-Cafe EC 800-H20G/S. Damn, that thing was a pain in this ass. No proper driver for any operating system but Mandriva. That was a really bad first experience with linux.

After that, I was interested in this open handheld stuff I've heard of. I bought a GP2X WIZ, later a Caanoo. Damn, that was the shit these days. I've tried to emulate some games with my PSP before, but I've never had such a pleasent experience while emulating before the GP2X handhelds..

Then, I fell in love with the Open Pandora project. But hey, I was just an apprentice without money, so I tried to save some for the Pandora. Without success. When I had the chance to buy a Pandora in 2013, I wasn't that happy with the device. Don't know why, maybe it was to late and the price was to high for the hardware I've got. I've sent the device back to ED and finished with the Pandora in my mind. I think in 2015 I had a Pandora again, but had no time for the device and sold it again.

Now in 2018, I am still in love with this piece of shit. I don't know why, I think I have some problems with my geeky mind and device like this. So I will get my first 1Ghz Pandora in the next days and will never sell it again. After such a long time, I know that I really would regret it. Today, money isn't that big deal anymore, so I don't have to sell the Pandora when my pocket is empty.

Really, don't know why I am so obsessed of this open handheld stuff. Maybe its the community. Maybe its ED as a person I admire (not in everything, he should be more lazy sometimes) or maybe its just my obession for handhelds. Don't know. But who cares. :)

What do I usually do?

I work as an customer support engineer. Together with a small team, we support several big shots and their Cisco UC environment. So, my personal interests are also voice over ip, telephony and network stuff. In the late summer, when my move into another flat is finished, I will start with my own Cisco/Ubiquiti homelab for more experience. I want to do some certificates and stuff like that. Not the basic ones, I mean the harder ones (like several CCNPs and so on). For me it was hard to find my way into the work life as an adult. I wasn't sure what I want to do and was working in several different jobs, before I've started my final apprenticeship. I think this Cisco stuff isn't that bad.
.... even if everyone told me to be a developer. Yuck! I hate coding.

But I love my dog, her name is Polly, She is lazy af, like me. Attached is a pic of my love :D .

I also love to read mangas. In this topic, I am really a god damn otaku. Which mangas you say? For example: Berserk, Gantz, Hellsing, JoJos Bizzare Adventure, everything from Tsutomu Nihei (hail sensei), of course the mainstream stuff like One Piece or Naruto. Some more like Kingdom, Vagabond, Akira, Oyasumi PunPun (and all other mangas from this mangaka) ... and so on. I have an endless list, but I mostly read cyber punk and seinen. (so called "dark mangas" for outsiders)

And why do I write this long text? Because I sit at work. And sunday is chillday. :D

Thats all I think! :)

Attachments

• my dog polly.png
    my dog polly.png
    616 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Back