Introducing Me

Miika

Only Amiga makes it possible
Website
Visit site
Hello there!
I just registered to these forums, I gotta say I didn't know that the community was REALLY this huge.
Whatever, I am Miika from Finland, I live in Norway at the moment and I'm going to order an GP2X Value Pack from play-asia very soon. I already have a DS lite with everything you need to run homebrew on it and reeeally love it, so I know GP2X is a dream system for me. As I have read some posts about Gamepark bankruptcy, new consoles and that I am quite confused. If I buy the GP2X now, does anyone have an idea if the system starts to get outdated or something? I appretiace all answers and hellos here ;)
Also, play-asia has not the power adaptors for GP2X in stock yet, does anyone know where to get an adaptor that suits GP2X, with cheap shipping.
Thank you,
Miika.

Gamepark and Gamepark Holdings are two different companies. Gamepark made the GP32 and was making the XGP when they filed for bankruptcy. Gamepark Holdings is a company that split off and makes the GP2X. You'll be fine.

Also, just get one of the recommended ones off the wiki.

Miika posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:54 PM said:
Hello there!
I just registered to these forums, I gotta say I didn't know that the community was REALLY this huge.
Whatever, I am Miika from Finland, I live in Norway at the moment and I'm going to order an GP2X Value Pack from play-asia very soon. I already have a DS lite with everything you need to run homebrew on it and reeeally love it, so I know GP2X is a dream system for me. As I have read some posts about Gamepark bankruptcy, new consoles and that I am quite confused. If I buy the GP2X now, does anyone have an idea if the system starts to get outdated or something? I appretiace all answers and hellos here ;)
Also, play-asia has not the power adaptors for GP2X in stock yet, does anyone know where to get an adaptor that suits GP2X, with cheap shipping.
Thank you,
Miika.

Well you can use any power adapter that can output 3V and 500 mA. You just have to be very careful of polarity and make sure it is right or you will fry the GP2X. If you liked the DS for emulators you should love this. The screen resolution of the GP2X is higher (and bigger) so most of your emulators can now run full resolution, no more scaling down :p

Tip: get the biggest SD card you can. I recommend 4 GB. 8 GB don't quite work yet, but there will be a firmware upgrade to fix that in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It needs to be 3V negative.

The GP2X screen is *almost* perfect for perfectionists!

One of the BIG pluses about the GP2X is the community and spirit.

For example, you can get FS0 perfect GBA emulation on a correctly flashed PSP, but I much prefer watching, and playing, the development of GPSP2X (GBA emu) for the GP2X.

In fact, when you return to the PSP version, you realise just how better it looks on the GP2X.

Thanks for replies! If everything goes like I've planned, I can order my GP2X Value Pack 12th April. Value Pack has the MK2 right?
Can someone recommend me a cheap 4GB microSD card? I don't know where to buy yet, so meanwhile I may just take the Transcend 512M microSD + SD adapter from my phone and see if it will work.
I'd appreciate if someone linked me to a fast and cheap microSD card, cheap shipping is a plus.

Regular SDs are cheaper (2gb for the price of a 1gb Micro).

edit: sorry, I can't recommend a purchase place as I'm in Australia and get most of mine off eBay here.

i recomend buying freom http://gp2x.co.uk/ cause you can get everything there (power adaptors, the unit, cheap sd cards and commercial games etc) and its probably will have better support than play-asia.....

also about gameparks bankruptcy, ignore it, it really has no major effect on the 2x (since its made by a similar, but different company that sprouted from gamepark), the new handhelds you are talking about (im assuming the XGP lineup) are also from gamepark and will probably never be released sadly....

but enjoy the community, if you need any help tho, i recomend asking here:

http://gpnewbie.com/

its more help oriented and has lots of useful info to newbies and vets alike! but yeah, welcom to the forums.....

Miika posted on Mar 24 2007 at 01:17 AM said:
Thanks for replies! If everything goes like I've planned, I can order my GP2X Value Pack 12th April. Value Pack has the MK2 right?
Can someone recommend me a cheap 4GB microSD card? I don't know where to buy yet, so meanwhile I may just take the Transcend 512M microSD + SD adapter from my phone and see if it will work.
I'd appreciate if someone linked me to a fast and cheap microSD card, cheap shipping is a plus.

I don't know if Micro SD works. SD can be weird at times.

512 MB? don't waste your time on something so small. Honestly I have a 4 GB SD and it is full, I want 8 GB. With emus like Sega CD, CPS2, NeoGeo, SNES, plus all of the PC games like Doom and all of the WADs, Descent, Duke Nukem you run out of space FAST. You can shuffle things back and forth from the PC if you need to but that is kind of a pain. Don't try to go cheap and small on the SD card, that is just my advice.

DaveC posted on Mar 24 2007 at 03:37 AM said:
Miika posted on Mar 24 2007 at 01:17 AM said:

I don't know if Micro SD works. SD can be weird at times.

512 MB? don't waste your time on something so small. Honestly I have a 4 GB SD and it is full, I want 8 GB. With emus like Sega CD, CPS2, NeoGeo, SNES, plus all of the PC games like Doom and all of the WADs, Descent, Duke Nukem you run out of space FAST. You can shuffle things back and forth from the PC if you need to but that is kind of a pain. Don't try to go cheap and small on the SD card, that is just my advice.
Does GP2X support SD's bigger than 4GB? I thought it only supported upto 4GB.
I thought about getting this: http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php?p...70chcgjcrgtnho0
Is it any good?

4 gig is the biggest (as of now) hopefully something like Open2x will change that, but yeah thats a good sd card.....

Miika posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:55 PM said:
I thought about getting this: http://www.gp2x.de/shop/product_info.php?p...70chcgjcrgtnho0
Is it any good?

Only 4GB, but in the future, maybe 8GB ... and yes, if that shop sells that card, it's good. (EvilDragon from this forum runs that shop, and he's great :))

* Kicks Miika in the sac * :)

TelcoLou posted on Mar 24 2007 at 04:05 AM said:
Miika posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:55 PM said:
Is it any good?

Only 4GB, but in the future, maybe 8GB ... and yes, if that shop sells that card, it's good. (EvilDragon from this forum runs that shop, and he's great :))

* Kicks Miika in the sac * :)
Thanks for reply.
What's up with all this punching and kicking? :p

My 2 gig card just died, and since I'm low on cash I bought a 1 gig card. I was only using 1 gig anyway.

moral of the story: Not everyone needs 12 terabytes.

Remember: Miika is not DaveC, Miika is not DaveC, Miika is not DaveC.............And I am still on dialup :(

*picks Miika up off the floor*

Miika posted on Mar 23 2007 at 10:54 PM said:
Hello there!
Thank you,
Miika.

r u a gurl if so culd i have a s l pixplzkthx

u can come over to my place and i can show u my pokemans

http://showmethepoke.ytmnd.com/

let me show u them

Hey Miika,

I would strongly recommend you DON'T order from Play-asia...

I ordered my GP2X from there, and it was faulty, their returns policy is a complete joke, in the end I was without a unit for about 2 months whilst they messed me about, in the end I demanded a refund and ordered from gp2x.co.uk.

They are cheap at Play-asia, but once you factor in tax (not sure what the regulations are where you live), and any postage costs you may have to put up if returning, and the long waits... I would definately think long and hard about it.

I realise I was unlucky, but I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Enjoy your GP2X. :)

I recommend play-asia (free candy with every order :) ) and I honestly found it much cheaper from them that it was worth the risk of having a bricked unit.

I wouldnt go with gp2x.co.uk I orderd my gp2x from them aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago and they kept lying to me about how they were goin to send tomorrow then it was next week then i canceled my order and got it form lik-sang and back then gp2x.co.uk were really takin the piss with the price but i havent checked recently so they might not be as bad . I have Bought stuff from play asia before and they are ok.

Back