Ip Address

finty

what is this
Website
Visit site
whats a dynamic IP address and how can i check my own IP address? sorry for the stupid question.

does it cost more to get one? im on BT broadband and mine ends in a 0 so i get low ID in emule.

EDIT: i think i might have one because its differant today than what it was yesterday, but when i restarted my computer yesterday it stayed the same.

Some IP's change occasionally (daily, weekly, hourly, everytime you turn your PC on, if you unplug your modem for 10 mins, etc...) most people pay extra for a static IP address. Even dynamic IP addresses really are not too dynamic, they follow strict patterns based on your ISP, and most ISPs supply two IP addresses so the one you "see" changes while the other one doesnt. It is possible to determine if you have two IP addresses and show both of those (I think _all_ dynamic IP address DSL and aDSL have two IP addys)

But just because your IP address changes, doesnt make much of a difference, your ISP keeps logs, and the IP change is based on technical algorithms so can easily be traced back to you if someone knows what they are doing.

i wasnt really trying to do anything shady, i was just curious, i have adsl so maybe mine changes every once in a while. why would you pay for a static IP?

I dont get this bt broadband is crap milarkey i get the fullspeed is should be getting eg aroudn 61k a second + 30k a second upload ?? wheres the problem... My pings are in the 20's am i just the lucky user of btbroadband dont forget either that btopenworld and btbroadband when i was first signing up are completely different services suposedly

finty101 posted on Apr 8 2004 at 10:52 AM said:
i wasnt really trying to do anything shady, i was just curious, i have adsl so maybe mine changes every once in a while. why would you pay for a static IP?
You might want to set up a webserver, or mud, or email server, or ftp server, or anything that requires someone to connect to your PC like maybe a UT server, and you dont want to have to give out your new IP address to everyone, everytime it changes. So you get static ip addresses which usually cost a bit more.

There are solutions for this if you have a dynamic IP address and want people to be able to connect like you have a static IP, these are usually in the form of small programs that you run, that sit in your system tray and keep a domain referer updated with your current IP address so your friends can just type your refering address and it connects them everytime.

Example : http://www.dynip.com/

I dont get this bt broadband is crap milarkey i get the fullspeed is should be getting eg aroudn 61k a second

Simple, I can answer that, on my broadband connection, I get 300 to 350K a second (continuous, not burst speeds). Comparativly 61k is crap. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
unlucky posted on Apr 8 2004 at 02:34 PM said:
I dont get this bt broadband is crap milarkey i get the fullspeed is should be getting eg aroudn 61k a second + 30k a second upload ?? wheres the problem... My pings are in the 20's am i just the lucky user of btbroadband dont forget either that btopenworld and btbroadband when i was first signing up are completely different services suposedly
when i had it i got typical speeds of 50 and below. with nildram i usually get 60k/s. also my downloads tend to start of in the 200k/s area and take about 2 seconds to go down to 60 so i get a nice speed boost.

Well i'm currently getting desert combat 0.7 from jolt at 58.9 k + its being going for an hour how much longer do i need 2 wait for it 2 settle :/ 61 seems 2 be the rate for only a short while so i'm wrong there but still 58k hardly anything 2 complain about. Normally choosing a really good server is all that matters for me :/

Klown posted on Apr 8 2004 at 08:13 PM said:
I get a consistant 55kb/s on most GOOD servers. I also have used 8gb of bandwidth both ways this month and nobody is complaining.

Bt is pretty good.
i like that about BT, on NTL they cut you off if you use too much.

Akuma no Houkon posted on Apr 8 2004 at 02:36 PM said:
Simple, I can answer that, on my broadband connection, I get 300 to 350K a second (continuous, not burst speeds). Comparativly 61k is crap. :)
There's only one broadband product in the UK that offers such speeds, and that's Bulldog's extremely central london service which goes up to 6mbit down.

I'm just outside this zone and can only get the 2mbit service. :(

i could get radio which would give me up to 4 mbit and bit for bit its cheaper than adsl. i just couldnt convince mum to pay the £300 installation fee. plus apparently it's quite unreliable

divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
i could get radio which would give me up to 4 mbit and bit for bit its cheaper than adsl. i just couldnt convince mum to pay the £300 installation fee. plus apparently it's quite unreliable
You mean satellite internet?

Latency can be nearly a 0.5-1 second on those connections!

dazmanultra posted on Apr 8 2004 at 10:27 PM said:
divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
You mean satellite internet?

Latency can be nearly a 0.5-1 second on those connections!
nope radio. entirely terrestrial(sp?). its meant for people who can't get broadband through the phoneline, like people in villages (theres a lot of them in Cumbria).

Back