Ip Address

divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 11:19 PM said:
dazmanultra posted on Apr 8 2004 at 10:27 PM said:
divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
i could get radio which would give me up to 4 mbit and bit for bit its cheaper than adsl. i just couldnt convince mum to pay the £300 installation fee. plus apparently it's quite unreliable
You mean satellite internet?

Latency can be nearly a 0.5-1 second on those connections!
nope radio. entirely terrestrial(sp?). its meant for people who can't get broadband through the phoneline, like people in villages (theres a lot of them in Cumbria).
Never seen radio internet... there's not enough bandwidth for a signal at radio frequencies...

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone answered the question in the easiest way?

Win XP - go to start menu/run, enter "cmd" and press enter (without quotes) then type IPCONFIG in the DOS box that appears and press enter. This will give you the IP addresses of all the network adapters on your machine (including dialup adapters, adsl modems and network cards). The one you're looking for is the one associated with your modem (adsl or cable modem, or dialup adapter).

Win 98/ME - got to start/run and type "command". Then type IPCONFIG at the prompt.

dazmanultra posted on Apr 9 2004 at 12:25 AM said:
divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 11:19 PM said:
dazmanultra posted on Apr 8 2004 at 10:27 PM said:
divadsci posted on Apr 8 2004 at 09:43 PM said:
i could get radio which would give me up to 4 mbit and bit for bit its cheaper than adsl. i just couldnt convince mum to pay the £300 installation fee. plus apparently it's quite unreliable
You mean satellite internet?

Latency can be nearly a 0.5-1 second on those connections!
nope radio. entirely terrestrial(sp?). its meant for people who can't get broadband through the phoneline, like people in villages (theres a lot of them in Cumbria).
Never seen radio internet... there's not enough bandwidth for a signal at radio frequencies...
if it doesn't have enough bandwidth then i don't know how this works

Axeman posted on Apr 9 2004 at 01:08 AM said:

Win XP - go to start menu/run, enter "cmd" and press enter (without quotes) then type IPCONFIG in the DOS box that appears and press enter. This will give you the IP addresses of all the network adapters on your machine (including dialup adapters, adsl modems and network cards). The one you're looking for is the one associated with your modem (adsl or cable modem, or dialup adapter).

Win 98/ME - got to start/run and type "command". Then type IPCONFIG at the prompt.
only applies if you aren't behind a router... that's where www.whatismyip.com comes in handy!

frolik posted on Apr 9 2004 at 06:23 PM said:
Axeman posted on Apr 9 2004 at 01:08 AM said:

only applies if you aren't behind a router... that's where www.whatismyip.com comes in handy!
True - not that likely I'd say in this case, but good point.

divadsci posted on Apr 9 2004 at 07:17 PM said:
Axeman posted on Apr 9 2004 at 03:57 PM said:
Is that radio Broadband expensive?
nope 20 quid a month for 1Mbit
Contention is 100:1 though, so that's 100 people sharing 1mbit.

Back