Iphone Emulation?

Mithrildor

I Haz Custom Title
Website
Visit site
Is it possible to emulate the iPhone (not all games , just a few and the menu)? Or is this completly impossible? iPhone seems to have alot homebrew and it would be nice to have those on the pandora and the games too.

Wait, you want to emulate the iPhone for the HOMEBREW?
Ahahhhh hehehehe hohohoho :blink: hahahaha

iphone/touch does not really have a lot of homebrew; some really good stuff, but not a lot of it. (And its good stuff mostly from having a big pile of ready to use code from Apple in it, such as the webkit renderer and all that.) Emulation isn't os much an issue here as porting the OS or re-implementing the API .. to get some App Store stuff like Katamari

A right royal PITA :)

jeff

There are loads of homebrew apps for the iphone

Ok so you have to crack the OS with an app called ziphone - this is essentially what the app store modelled itself on.

Once loaded you can literally loads of hundreds of homebrew apps - even from Zottd (SNES/PSX emus, etc)

But I doubt there would be much call for turning the Pandora into an Iphone - there would be more fun in making a Windows Manager for Pandora which had kinda similar iphone-esq features (like TouchFlo on WM6 phones)
=====
gp32_console + :gp2x and hopefully a :pandora1:

http://gp2xwizandpandora.blogspot.com/

RajTakhar said:
There are loads of homebrew apps for the iphone

Ok so you have to crack the OS with an app called ziphone - this is essentially what the app store modelled itself on.

Once loaded you can literally loads of hundreds of homebrew apps - even from Zottd (SNES/PSX emus, etc)
ziphone was for the old firmwares. Are you talking about jailbroken programs before 2.0? The modern jailbreaker for the newest firmwares is from the iphone dev team. Its a very different story now, since 2.0. Unluckily, there are far less than hundreds of jailbroken games for the iphone. The games section on Cydia on my iphone reads only 16 games, and about half of them are things like rock paper scissors, while the other half are emulators and games from zod. Almost all games are on the appstore, now.

The only benefit of trying this would be trying to load programs from the appstore onto the pandora. But, most games require either multitouch or an accelerometer, and apps are severely limited by apple's restrictions. So, the end result wouldn't be that great.

For the possibility of actually doing it, I'm not sure how we could load apple's iphone OS without the source code. I'd say the difficulty, or more likely, impossibility of the problem leaves it not worth trying.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think, in this case, actually getting an iphone/touch would be a much better decision than emulating it on a Pandora.

Some of the homebrew stuff *might* be open source though, although I have no idea how easy/hard porting it would be. Also, there may be similar programs that would be available on Pandora.

Without multitouch or motion sensing, the Pandora lacks the both of the iphone's two input methods.

The iphone OS, like all things Apple, is well locked down and would need to be reverse-engineered to be able to "emulate" the environment. There are likely some security measures preventing non-legitimate iphones from accessing the app store, so you'd be limited to jailbroken apps - apps which are usually open source and could more easily be recompiled for the Pandora directly.

In short, an iphone emulator would be very difficult (if not impossible) to code, and would be almost completely useless if it did exist.

Once I played with a my friend's iPhone and I remember (I'm pretty sure) that almost all the applications and game was based on te Multitouch function that is not "difficult", is impossible to emulate because of hardware problems...
I'm not an expert but... how many benefits do you get from the emulation of this device? You will be able to use 1/4 of the homebrews or the games...?

No offense to the OP, but this question has been answered and now this is a pointless thread. The answer is absolutely no. No way, ever, will an "iPhone emulator" (or interpreter) be created for the Pandora during it's lifecycle (i.e., before a new system replaces both of them).

Now, a question that I would not be so quick to dismiss would be about a Windows Mobile compatibility layer. The interface is a lot simpler and I know that the Microsoft-authorized development environment (free for the non-.net version) had an "emulator" of sorts.

jbr said:
Now, a question that I would not be so quick to dismiss would be about a Windows Mobile compatibility layer. The interface is a lot simpler and I know that the Microsoft-authorized development environment (free for the non-.net version) had an "emulator" of sorts.
This is actually a real possibility. One of the Ubuntu devs I've been dealing with also runs the Wine-on-ARM project. Aparantly what is needed to create a Windows Mobile / CE envirnoment on ARM is very similar to what is needed to create a Windows environment on x86. He feels that when properly developed, Wine for ARM could provide exactly what you're looking for.

Chip said:
This is actually a real possibility. One of the Ubuntu devs I've been dealing with also runs the Wine-on-ARM project. Aparantly what is needed to create a Windows Mobile / CE envirnoment on ARM is very similar to what is needed to create a Windows environment on x86. He feels that when properly developed, Wine for ARM could provide exactly what you're looking for.
Yes, that is exactly what I was asking about. I just didn't want to use the word "WINE" because I thought it would incur the wrath of dozens of people waiting to pounce on anyone who asks if they can use WINE on Pandora. I remember someone mentioning the idea of an "ARM WINE" but I didn't realize that it actually existed! I would be really excited if this project was carried over to the Pandora.

I haven't even mentioned it before because it is still in the very early stages of development, and I didn't want people expecting this any time soon.

Still, if ARM netbooks running Ubuntu actually do take off, the Wine-on-ARM project is likely to receive a lot more attention and could potentially allow us to run Windows Mobile and CE applications on the Pandora.

You'd save licensing fees by using an ARM Wine thingy, but it'd also possible to run full CE, sometime.
Roshua said, that he wants to port Win CE to Pandora.
It's running on Beagle already:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJSLK5IJqO8

Back