Iphone To Beat Out The Gp2x In Retro Emulation?

What the blazes is going on with your "avatar" picture??????? From here, it appears that a W, and two i's are in a prison shower, and the i on the far right has dropped his soap, leaving himself vulnerable to an attack from the remaining i, who is poised to strike.

It that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
What the blazes is going on with your "avatar" picture??????? From here, it appears that a W, and two i's are in a prison shower, and the i on the far right has dropped his soap, leaving himself vulnerable to an attack from the remaining i, who is poised to strike.

It that it?

:unsure:

Yes, thats somewhat like whats going on.

I think the i on the far right is doing it voluntarily though ;)

No dropped soap though, just an alteration of the Nintendo Wii trademarked logo.

I wanted one until I found out that it was going to be a closed device and that you couldn't just download cool apps off the net by random people and throw them on your phone. I'm sure it will be cracked so when that happens I'll consider it but for now, no dice. Also, like markiej, my experience with Apple's build quality is not so good, so while the thing may look incredibly nice, I'm sure it won't last long in my jacket pocket.

It sure looks nice though and has a lot of good ideas. I'm sure if it's successful we'll see many more smartphones like it.

I wanted one until I found out that it was going to be a closed device and that you couldn't just download cool apps off the net by random people and throw them on your phone. I'm sure it will be cracked so when that happens I'll consider it but for now, no dice.

Yeah, I agree. Remember that 3rd party folks wrote the original pda-like apps for the ipod before Apple included it as a default feature set.

I mean, haven't we all seen videos of linux and other ports of doom, heretic, etc running on the ipods?

As for buttons, it'll have bluetooth so a separate controller would be great.

Steve Jobs said:
“We define everything that is on the phone. You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”
So even if this thing gets cracked like the PSP, I fully expect the whole cat & mouse syndrome where Apple will be releasing security patches every time someone finds a new back door.

ruckage said:
I think Apple are highly overrated and this will undoubtedely be overpriced - complete case of style over substance. If anyone else made this there wouldn't be half the interest and it definately won't be any good for gaming.
Seconded.

However, some games might work well on the machine... After all, look at all the DS stuff that uses the touch screen. Trying to play NeoGeo games in an emulator would be horrible, but plenty of puzzle games would work great with a stylus and touch screen.

--Zero

OT: I don't care about Apple's latest products. Their early stuff however was very innovative. If they had merged with Commodore we'd probably all be using their machines.

On topic: Expect this to be the latest "bling" for the rich and stupid for a while. Then watch it crash like the Gizmondo (it wouldn't be the first Apple product to go down in flames). Or become insanely popular with people selling their organs to get one (yeah, right).

I do like the idea behind the iPhone, especially because when the Apple fan boyz requested one got made, Apple were all like *no, we won't be making a phone* ref : http://www.appleiphone.blogspot.com/ (pictures no longer load) and yes, there has been a Linux project for the iPods for as long as there has been iPods, but the more recent iPods (nano 2nd gen, and 5G second gen) have encrypted firmware, making the installation of iPod Linux (and rockbox) all but impossible. Thats something I'm sure they will impliment into the iPhone, making homebrew all but impossible.

Time will tell, but i'll be sticking with a phone that thinks its a phone ;) I already have an iPod that thinks its a PDA, and a GP2X for my gaming fix :)

[edit]

It does look damn neat though http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21451

If it's going to be BSD based like OSX and has plenty of horsepower ... man.

What everyone had to say to complain about it, and Jobs himself stated that it will be closed, development wise, to (probably) everyone. <_<

Then again, the PSP/DS wasn't suppopsed to do homebrew... The only thing that I think will work on the system is some cool multi-touch games. Something along the lines of rubber bands or maybe bubble wrap. :D

I'm mostly drooling over the N800 about now...

there has been a Linux project for the iPods for as long as there has been iPods, but the more recent iPods (nano 2nd gen, and 5G second gen) have encrypted firmware, making the installation of iPod Linux (and rockbox) all but impossible.

Ummmm, i'm triple booting firmwares. . . . . Ipod Linux, Rockbox, and normal firmware.

It's called iPhone, so I assume Apple wants to bring a phone on the market and phones are ment to call people with. Not to game with cause then you should buy a game-boy or something like that.

And for a phone I think the iPhone will be one of the most wanted phones in the next couple of years.

NoidZ posted on Feb 11 2007 at 01:05 PM said:
It's called iPhone, so I assume Apple wants to bring a phone on the market and phones are ment to call people with. Not to game with cause then you should buy a game-boy or something like that.

And for a phone I think the iPhone will be one of the most wanted phones in the next couple of years.

No doubt about that. They do look sexy after all (plutonic of course lol :lol: ).

I assume the iPhone won't be open source too and it'll run on this kind of Pocket Tiger OS, like Windows Mobile for PPC's only customised.

And believe me, I tried to play NES games on a touchscreen... it sucks. Don't count on ony emulation support.

omfg, all you guys will get is another ipl which will have horrible emulation and homebrew..... and yeah, sadly apple is getting to overrated for me, even tho i have a mac and ipod i dont plan on upgrading them anytime soon..... but hey, their overratedness is doing wonders for their stocks, so i aint tellin them to stop! and they are making nice products, so i wont complain to much at their new popularity :)

Goemon4 posted on Feb 12 2007 at 02:08 PM said:
omfg, all you guys will get is another ipl which will have horrible emulation and homebrew..... and yeah, sadly apple is getting to overrated for me,

sure.... but they're so yummy!!!!!!!

Back