Ipod Question

Radio

Website
Visit site
The ipod minimum requirements state that you need usb 2.0 connections. Does this mean that it will not charge at all with the older usb slots or just not as efficiently

It'll probably still charge, as USB is backwards compatible, but it'll take you f. ages to download any music to it...
How long is ages though. As long as we are talking a resonable time I'm not too worried. I'm mainly concerned with charge times and whether I'd be better off buying a separate mains charger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't give you exact figures, but USB 1.1 is about 40 times slower than USB 2. I can tell you it takes about 20 mins to copy 10GB via firewire to my iPod and firewire is faster than USB 2.0 so you're probably looking at something like 15 hours to transfer a similar amount!

My friend has his ipod mini on a usb 1 connection,a nd it only charges 10% i think. Im not sure if he can transfer music accross at all (he seems to do it at my house all the time)

Luckily I'm not talking that amount of music but still it sounds like a long transfer time. At least the advantage is that I'd only have to do the bulk of it once.

Seems like I'd be better off investing the money on a USB 2.0 card instead of the charger.

When I plug an iPod into a USB1.1 port, Windows says "Device unrecognised", but plugging it into a USB2 port and it works fine. We have a load of iPod's at work too, and they have the same problems. So much for backwards compatibility...

My friend has his ipod mini on a usb 1 connection,a nd it only charges 10% i think. Im not sure if he can transfer music accross at all (he seems to do it at my house all the time)
Can afford an Ipod, but can´t afford a 10€ USB 2.0 card ?
Strange fellow.

My Ipod mini arrived today. :) I was lead to believe that it didn't come with one but it has a power outlet adapter which plugs into the firewire cable so you can charge the ipod without connecting it to the computer. So that solves that problem. :D

I've yet to test whether it will work on my usb connections but I've ordered a usb 2.0 card anyway.

Incase anyone is interested they are on offer at http://www.argos.co.uk for 109.99 pounds. They are ex display and I think they are the first generation so not so good on the battery life but not bad for the price when you just want a little bit more space for songs than a cheaper player will offer.
Normally I wouldn't go for the ipods as they are too expensive IMO but I didn't think it was too bad a deal.

My Ipod mini arrived today. :) I was lead to believe that it didn't come with one but it has a power outlet adapter which plugs into the firewire cable so you can charge the ipod without connecting it to the computer. So that solves that problem. :D

I've yet to test whether it will work on my usb connections but I've ordered a usb 2.0 card anyway.

Incase anyone is interested they are on offer at http://www.argos.co.uk for 109.99 pounds. They are ex display and I think they are the first generation so not so good on the battery life but not bad for the price when you just want a little bit more space for songs than a cheaper player will offer.
Normally I wouldn't go for the ipods as they are too expensive IMO but I didn't think it was too bad a deal.

Very interested... dya know if they only do silver or do they do a blue one?

I think they only ever stocked the pink and the silver one. The offer is only on the silver one though.

I'm probably going to buy a skin or case for it anyway so it could completely change the colour of it if I want it to.

how can i tell iif i have usb 2 or one?

both charges, the requirements for a high-powered usb i think only matters if you have a laptop or something. i only have usb1.1, so i do transfers/charge overnight, until i can maybe get a new computer. but until then, it works ok - though i still regret ever getting an ipod, it's not really that useful, just trendy to have i guess.

how can i tell iif i have usb 2 or one?
I found this page; http://www.computer-chat.com/dell/USB_ports_229921.html

Should be listed as "enhanced" USB controllers in device manager....
....To check;

1) Right click on "my computer" on the desktop.
2) Click the "Hardware" tab.
3) Click "Device Manager".
4) Expand (Click +) "Universal Serial Bus controllers"

Any controllers with "Enhanced" in the description are USB 2.0.
I have 2 labeled "VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller" (for USB 2.0)(each
enhanced controller drives 2 plug-ins), and 4 "VIA Rev 5 or later USB
Universal Host Companion Controllers" (for USB 1.1)(1 plug per controller).
Ignore the USB Root Hubs, as they are drivers associated with all the USB
ports, whether 2.0 or 1.1.

If you have any non-enhanced controllers listed, plug a device (camera,
scanner, etc...) into any USB port, and the device should show up listed
under one of the ports in the device manager window. Just check each port
like this to see which ones ar 2.0 or 1.1.

Look like one of my ports is a usb 2.0. :blink: Whoops. Must have been upgraded when my motherboard was replaced.

nuts i dont have a high spped 2.0 :( that is probably why my wireless internet is quite slow.

where can i buy one cheap?

Back