iPod Touch 5

vcoleiro1

Hardcore Member
I have an iPod touch 4th gen which is great. I was thinking of updating to the new iPod touch 5 that was just launched, however, it starts at $299. I cant believe in this age where tech prices are dropping that Apple has uped the price on the touch. Needless to say I won't be buying it. Who can justify getting a touch for $299 over a Nexus 7 for $199.

Just crazy and a real bad move by Apple. Especially considering they are about to launch the iPad mini which would have to be about the same price. Crazy man , crazy

Have you even looked at the specs of the iPod Touch 5? Its pretty beefy compared to the Nexus 7

Last edited by a moderator:
What specs do you think better the nexus 7 specs and justify the $100 price difference?

The retina display / Pixel Count

Bluetooth 4.0

5 Mega pixel camera with awesome filters & 1080P Video capturing

Quite a large App Store also ;)

The nexus 7 has a pretty decent display also and a large app store. Bluetooth 4 and camera vs bigger screen And Tegra 3

$100 diff, um , no thanks

Also, don't forget that the iPad mini will have to be priced around the same amount to compete in the tablet market. So you will have the iPod touch at the same price level as the iPad mini - crazy.

Pretty decent yes but not matching PPI.

I haven't seen any evidence from Apple that an iPad Mini exists yet ;)

Give it 4 weeks, that will change - there will be a mini

Just noticed the tech sites like Engadget are ripping into the iPod touch 5 price. Check out there podcast , they say the same things I have.

to be honest, i thought iphone would be like $499 base model and go up to $699, or is my image of apple wrong?

What's worse is that they still keep selling the 4G. Is so old, it will only hold iOS back of fragment the market.

Pretty decent yes but not matching PPI.

I haven't seen any evidence from Apple that an iPad Mini exists yet ;)

PPI? The Nexus is 1080p over the sub 720p of the iPhone/iTouch 5. Anyway, none in their right mind should chose an iPod Touch 4G at $200-$250, which is what Apple is selling atm.

About the new Apple devices and BT4...

Will that be full use BT this time, to file share, or limited to just pairing up with hands-free kits?

I'm not planning to buy any new iOS but just wondered as I always thought it was bit lame having BT but unable to send files over it... Which was the case back when I did have an iPhone, back when was 3GS/3.1.3

Apple has a lot in common with (some) artists:

They start off producing real, carefully designed work

Then when everyone agrees they're infallible, they hike up the price and churn out repetitive rubbish

Then they die

The problem with Apple pushing up the hardware specs is that they are pretty much alienating the people that made the AppStore what it is - the homebrewers and bedroom coders just don't have the talent/time/inclination/funding/reward to fill the screen with wonderful imagery and it will eventually fall to the big guys, who will begin to charge a lot more for the apps (fair enough as there is a LOT more work required). At which point everyone will say "Nope, not paying that - might as well just buy it on a handheld console with proper controls" (maybe). At the moment the low prices are kept low because there's so much competition. When that competition disappears the prices will rise. The cost of apps is totally unrealistic based on the amount of time that goes into them. Devs can't/won't keep this up for ever. How can hours/days/weeks or months of work be worth just 60p (or whatever). A chocolate bar costs more, but generally won't last as long.

Seen this new advert from Samsung too... Ouch!

SAM12172-PrintWSJ10.87x21_copy_610x1179.jpg

^Yeah, Apple really does make an inferior product at this point, and the tide is slowing turning but they still have their blind droves of followers.

I bought an ipod touch 3rd gen a few years ago, and I have no plans to ever buy another Apple product again. It was good when I bought it, but for the most part it has been fazed out(or is being fazed out). There is no way I would give them another $300 dollars for the same closed up device again. NO WAY! :angry:

Chris

Back