Ipod Touch 2g

plopperz

Huh?
Website
Visit site
I just got an early Christmas present, an iPod Touch 2G (FW 2.2). After realizing that all the free apps are crap, I've decided I want to jailbreak (correct term?) it.
I want to know how risky a thing it is to do, I've a bricked PSP already. I don't want to brick my Touch as well. From my understanding I need to get an app called QuickPwn?
Also, if I do it, how do I update it without bricking?

Sorry, I'm very nervous about the whole thing, I don't want to break my shiny new toy, but I feel like I'm missing out on the homebrew side.
Thanks in advance.

Hi! Well done on getting the iPod, great little toy :) .

I'm afraid the G2 touch cannot yet be jailbroken :(. The team that worked on the 1st one seem to be currently more interested in the iPhone 3g at the moment.

This link has so far kept me up to date on progress, I suggest you check it every now and then.

Edit: Just found this. More bad news for you I'm afraid...
http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118623

Edit 2: Just re-read your post. From experiance I've had with my G1 touch, the whole 'jailbreaking' process seems very stable. As for updating the firmware, most of the time you have to do a 'restore', update, then jailbreak again. (this long and annoying process put me off updating untill an actually usefull firmware update came out).

Hope this all makes sense :). Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get your jailbreak. It's just a matter of time.

Thanks for the links.
I guess I'll be playing Tap Tap Revolution for a while yet.
*Sigh* Life is hard.

im about to get one of these (16gb) tomorrow for xmas of the mrs, it was only £148.99 from argos and they sold out pretty quick but luckily it was the 1st gen version (hence the low price) but to be honest i havent really had a good look into what i need to do to jail break it, do i upgrade to the 2.0 software before i jail break, is it true i can jail break it direct via the ipods web browser? wheres the best sites for emulators etc?

The updating from browser technique was lost after 1.1.4 (it used a tiff expliot, which apple has now patched)

Google 'quickpwn' for how to jailbreak 2.0, the website I posted previously is great for emulators. (in my first post, that is)

im currently on firmware 1.1.5, but i keep being advised to update for free to 2.2, obviously i dont really want to do that,is there any way to update to 2.0?

Go to 2.2

The (rather messy) quickpwn website tells me in a recent blog post that a 2.2 jailbreak is possible.

Google for the method - it's easy

I used a program called wnpwn (I think) and managed to brick my first gen Touch. All the usual methods wouldn't work, I had to use the other jailbreaking app to put it into recovery mode.

winpwn seemed by far to be the most complicated method I ever used. Which 'usual methods' did you try that failed?

Well I managed to upgrade to 2.2 after days of apples servers being down after unexpected high demand for 2.2, I got some games on it and I have to say the controls on most stuff is crap, rolando is quite good but exactly like loco roco, on the other hand the web browser is best mobile one I ever used (I'm posting this from it) but yet to try emulation yet, how does ps1 run on it? I shall definitely get the icontrolpad thing if it ever comes out

Back