Funnily enough, I have the Android version, but I get your point about dimensions on the lowrez.
I've had an interesting mechanic, but not sure how it could be turned into a game.
Basically, you create a window of 64x64, but it's not fullscreen, and not scaled. Then, you use the Window's X,Y position to reveal a different portion of the map.
- A maze is generated the 90% size of your monitor resolution (to allow for window decorations)
- A player is put somewhere in it
- An exit is put somewhere in it
- "Monsters" are put somewhere in it
- And a timer
- You control the player with the keys (WASD and arrows), and the window (viewport) with the mouse via standard windowing
- Maybe some hotkeys to centre back on player and exit?
So it's a race to get out, you can scout ahead with the window, but then can't see your player (though he will still move)
Looks like you could use love.window.getDesktopDimensions
For maze generation, could either go full procgen, or could just define about 16 predefined blocks that we stitch together, then just make sure it's traversable to the end?