Is anyone else afraid of their pandora?

stustaff

It's sat waiting for me at my house (I'm away in London at the mo)

When I open it up I have a pair of SD cards ready and bookmarks of all the useful pages and guides.

But lots of them sound like the author expected the person reading it to not be an idiot, or someone who knows how to get to a command line and probably be able to type things into it and stuff.

Or know what the keck a pnd is or have at some point used Linux or maybe even seen it before...

I'm excited but also trepidious about getting started.

I don't know if I just invented trepidious or not!

Pnd is the most idiot friendly method of installing ever. The whole OS is very user friendly, don't worry :)

Ah ! Necessity is the mother of invention.... Start with walking, before your RUN...

I like to read, so this is very useful, all the time. Forums are great, also the wiki pages are an invaluable aid in getting me up to speed, quick.

I am curious, as to what your going to play with first on your pandora...

Pnd is the most idiot friendly method of installing ever. The whole OS is very user friendly, don't worry :)

OS... Which one ;) or do you mean minimenu that seems to be a OS on top of the OS.

Am not worried I am looking forward to it and some great work seems to have been done in regard to tutorials etc

And of course people here will be as helpful as usual.

@dude hmm what first... After set up of media players and browsers etc I'm going to do one emulator amiga, thenmstart playing with all of the pandora software.

@chosen don't worry it will fly by now and you will have yours soon.

It's actually an interesting one getting it as what I wanted it for 2 years ago probably isn't what I will use it for now.. I will see how it slots into my life.

OS... Which one ;) or do you mean minimenu that seems to be a OS on top of the OS.

Am not worried I am looking forward to it and some great work seems to have been done in regard to tutorials etc

And of course people here will be as helpful as usual.
Minimenu is not an OS but an application launcher. A sort of generic front-end. It's just an application running on the OS.

The other option, XFCE isn't an OS either. It's a desktop environment. In windows there is basically only a single desktop environment therefore many of its users don't make the distinction. And yes, even the full desktop environment is just an application.

I don't want to get too technical here, but Linux also isn't the OS but just a very important part of it (known as the kernel). It's not fully correct, but lots of people refer to any OS built around the Linux kernel as Linux (or GNU/Linux for purists).

Minimenu is not an OS but an application launcher. A sort of generic front-end. It's just an application running on the OS.

The other option, XFCE isn't an OS either. It's a desktop environment. In windows there is basically only a single desktop environment therefore many of its users don't make the distinction. And yes, even the full desktop environment is just an application.

I don't want to get too technical here, but Linux also isn't the OS but just a very important part of it (known as the kernel). It's not fully correct, but lots of people refer to any OS built around the Linux kernel as Linux (or GNU/Linux for purists).

Your in cahoots with my pandora aren't you! I bet you have a top hat and a cane ;)

Thanks for the knowledge.

Not afraid at all. Have quite a bit of linux expertise. :)

More excited than afraid really... waiting for it still. xD

Thanks for the knowledge.
You're welcome.

Linux is a bit different from what you are used to, but not really that much. As long as you are open to acquiring new knowledge there is nothing to be afraid of. Many things are well documented and this community is filled with knowledgeable and helpful members who can and will guide you whenever problems occur.

You have a very direct line of communication with both the hardware and the software developers here, your problems and ideas can help shape the future of the device. This makes the Pandora project really one-of-a-kind.

I'm not afraid of my Pandora. If I do have mishaps, I'll come here; I expect that my experience with the GP2X and Wiz (both of which are based on Linux) will get me through.

Not afraid at all. Have quite a bit of linux expertise. :)

More excited than afraid really... waiting for it still. xD
Me too. The fact that it comes with Linux is part of the reason I got the thing. I'm also somewhat tired of the big companies like Nintendo trying to snuffle creativity out of customers like me with their "firmware upgrades"

Linux is nothing to be afraid of.

TiVo? Linux.

Android? Linux.

MacOSX? Technically Unix, but close enough.

Over Christmas I had the fear. I was worried these new nubs would be a calamity and we would be buggered.

However I'm pleased to report I'm in love with the Pandora again and I really think we have achieved something fantastic, the Pandora is a unique and amazing little computer. I'm discovering it all over again.

Linux is nothing to be afraid of.

TiVo? Linux.

Android? Linux.

MacOSX? Technically Unix, but close enough.
Linux is nothing to be afraid of, but Android also uses Java, which is worth being afraid of, and TiVo is a locked-down hardware platform, which is a terrifying thought.

Not by itself, because I don't own a DVR, but it's like a zombie. You know there's going to be thousands soon, and you can't fight all of them by yourself.

Linux is nothing to be afraid of, but Android also uses Java, which is worth being afraid of, and TiVo is a locked-down hardware platform, which is a terrifying thought.

Not by itself, because I don't own a DVR, but it's like a zombie. You know there's going to be thousands soon, and you can't fight all of them by yourself.
Android on most phones don't allow root access without voiding the warranty, which is also not fun. Only the absolute power over your system is fun.

Back