Is Armagetron Advanced port necessary for Pandora support?

Soup's

Still Fresh
Hi, I'm new here! I've Just learned about the Pandora only today, and I'm still reading awesome things about it! I know it's open source and can run-Oh, who am I kidding, I'm still a complete noob when it comes to this. :p Anyways, It has the power to run PSX, N64, and all that, and I have two questions, just because I'm curious. Theoretically, does the Pandora Have the power to run DS games full speed(that was something I just thought of)? And also, I've been wondering about this one for a whopping 10 minutes...There's this Open source Tron clone(It's called Armagetron Advanced: http://armagetronad.net/) that runs on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. Does it need to be ported(stupid question), or can I just stick it onto my SD card with limited problems? Okay, now you know that I have no Idea what I'm talking about :D

EDIT: And no, I'm not a bot. :|

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Soup's:

Welcome to the forums.

At the moment (possibly forever) the Pandora isn't able to emulate the DS at any reasonable framerate. As for Armagetron Advanced, there's a bit more to getting software to work. Pandora has a different processor than laptops/desktops (ARM, commonly found in smartphones and tablets) and the game would need to be recompiled specifically for the ARM processor/architecture. And even then, some changes may need to be made for the screen resolution, graphics, etc. Certainly possible, and there are many devs around who do port games such as that. But it's a tiny bit more than just downloading the application from Armagetron Advanced's site.

Also, GLtron (which appears to be similar) was just ported today by lunixbochs. You can find a whole host of games and other software up on the repo (repo.openpandora.org) that have already been ported.

Well, feel free to look around and ask questions; the Pandora is a pretty awesome device (just played through VVVVVV about an hour ago on it; I'm a happy camper).

Oh, thanks for taking the time to answer! I was just curious, because I'm new to this kind of thing, and I plan on ordering one($650, hopefully) by the end of 2012. :)

-Soup's

GLTron lacks most of the great features (multiplayer). Armagetron Advanced uses openGL, so won't run natively. Voodoo did some work on GLES port and it is close to complete. Only two errors when compiled for GLES. Software GL rendering on maemo gets around 12 fps and around 200 ping, so would be close to playable (comparable to playing on overseas server) if it got HW acceleration.

Back