Is it possible to run "Don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story"

doragasu

I have found this game with CC license: don't take it personally, babe, it just ain't your story and it has Windows, Mac and Linux versions available. It's coded in Python (the main executable is a .py file) so I was wondering if it's possible to repack it in a PND with Pandora's version of the required libraries and run it.

Any python experts here? Could you please post some comments about it?

Hmmm...

Very nice :wub:

screenshot3-thumb.png

screenshot1-thumb.png

screenshot2-thumb.png

I don't think Python would be the problem: it's more that the rendering engine uses opengl (whereas Pandora uses opengles). I guess it would be a case of seeing how well software rendering would work, porting using nanogl, or trying to convert the Android version they've made.

Someone should get Digital; A Love Story on the pandora

just an awesome game, you retro guys would loooove it

Someone should get Digital; A Love Story on the pandora

just an awesome game, you retro guys would loooove it

That depends on your definition of "retro" - I class games from 1985 and earlier as "retro", and all else as "modern". This game doesn't look like it would run very well on an 8bit; more correctly it seems styled on the Amiga, which is certainly not a "retro" computer unless you're twelve years old ;-)

D.

A video:

It would be really nice seeing this game running in Pandora.
I don't know about this game ... can you play as Pedobear for extra points? :blink:

Oh, @ZXDunny: and I think the Amiga certainly counts as retro ... unless you're above 40 :p ;)

Even most DOS games go under "retro" by now, and I think rightfully so. I wouldn't call anything else from the 90ies "retro", but computers age a lot faster. I'm not going to argue much about this though, since I guess (and you basically said it, too) it depends a lot on your perspective :)

Well, SNES and Megadrive are considered as retro consoles by most, and they were sold in the nineties (in Europe, at least).

Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2 and XBOX are still modern consoles. But they will probably fall in the "retro realm" when the next generation of consoles will be released.

As F_Slim said, computer (software and hardware) ages faster than lot of thing.
wink.gif

(But when looking at the 80's clothing, some things don't age fast enough
laugh.gif
)

Well, SNES and Megadrive are considered as retro consoles by most, and they were sold in the nineties (in Europe, at least).

Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2 and XBOX are still modern consoles. But they will probably fall in the "retro realm" when the next generation of consoles will be released.

As F_Slim said, computer (software and hardware) ages faster than lot of thing.
wink.gif

(But when looking at the 80's clothing, some things don't age fast enough
laugh.gif
)
1. Retro depends on the individual and the age of the person.

2. Soon, there'll be no such thing as a 'Console Generation' anymore. Wii 1 didn't help with Gen Categorizing...and Wii 2 will end the so called, 'Console Generation'.

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/CONSOLERAMA/The-Death-Of-The-quot-Console-Generation-quot/td-p/12776416

1. It plays its role, but saying a SNES is a retro console is accepted by the vast majority without regards of their age. PS1, N64, etc. are not that well defined, they're borderline of going retro, at the moment, they're mostly "old".

2. What I call a "generation of consoles" is a bunch of consoles that were released within a short amount of time (before it was quite a few years, lastly it's been reduced to ~3 years) like those three : Wii - 2006, PS3 - 2006/2007 , Xbox 360 - 2005. I don't know what it means for you, but it seems different.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Wii II, PS4 and Xbox 2160 (EDIT: 2080 wasn't a 360 multiple, sorry) will be out within 3 years and be in the same generation ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Downloaded Ren'Py sources and it looks like it has a lot of nasty dependencies (ffmpeg, pygame and some more).
Pygame comes with Pandoras by default, FFmpeg is included in the codec pack (I think), and fribidi is in the Angstrom repos (implying it's easy to build for Pandora). Those dependencies don't sound nasty. Are there any others?

I didn't know Pygame was ported... Does Frets on fire work?

I haven't the sources right here now, but I think the other dependencies should be no problem: python, bzip2, libjpg, libpng...

I had another look to the sources of renpy and it looks like it's 100% Python. There are a lot of .py and .pyo files. I don't know anything about python so... what are pyo files? Are they compiled .py files? Are they platform independent (like for example java compiled programs) or do they need to be compiled for every platform?

About the dependencies, I see java stuff, but I think java is only needed to create the games, not to run them. More dependencies: glew, some SDL stuff, pyobjc and freetype. I can't find a list of all the required/optional dependencies, and these I have listed are extracted from the renpy-deps file (downloadable from http://www.renpy.org/latest.html).

I might try to run it on my pandora, buy I know nothing about nothing about Python, I'm pretty busy and I have not a Pandora working development environment set up...

Back