Is Multiplayer Possible On The Pandora?

zzaz3

Still Fresh
So, is it possible for the Pandora to connect to another Pandora? They both have blue tooth and wifi, so I would assume that they would, but just to make sure...

Also, if it is possible. How likely would it be for the developers to put a multilayer option in emulators such as GBA or PS1, ect...?

Previous conclusions were it has wifi and bluetooth so it's posible, but is it likely? With such a niche device, how many people are going to know and live near another Pandora owner? Are developers going to create multiplayer options to cater for such a small audience?

As always with open source, if a developer wants it / wants to do it then it may happen.

TaG said:
Previous conclusions were it has wifi and bluetooth so it's posible, but is it likely? With such a niche device, how many people are going to know and live near another Pandora owner? Are developers going to create multiplayer options to cater for such a small audience?

As always with open source, if a developer wants it / wants to do it then it may happen.
I'm not so sure it is a small audience. Depending upon the game there may well be people connecting Pandora to Linux or Windows for gaming via WiFi. And players could definitely do that between Pandoras over WiFi as well.

But in terms of bluetooth, that I'm not sure is going to be too worthwhile, although admittedly that's probably not that much more work than networked play is.

Last edited by a moderator:
hedwards said:
TaG said:

I'm not so sure it is a small audience. Depending upon the game there may well be people connecting Pandora to Linux or Windows for gaming via WiFi. And players could definitely do that between Pandoras over WiFi as well.

But in terms of bluetooth, that I'm not sure is going to be too worthwhile, although admittedly that's probably not that much more work than networked play is.

Just a note. There still may be a need with niche devices. I have 2 zodiacs and 2 gizmondos for multiplayer gaming. Admittedly gizmondo was not the best as the bluetooth is still somewaht locked down and not properly usuable. However, the zodiac was awesome for multiplayer,

Edit: Even for non niche devices I have 2 psp's for the samething.

TaG said:

Well, the multiplayer option could also support playing via internet. Pandora + WLAN + AP + internet connection = online play. In that regard, any Linux games with online multiplayer that get ported to the Pandora should be able to keep their multiplayer modes.

Bluetooth/ad-hoc WLAN multiplayer would essentially be a special case of netplay, although it would be nice if the Pandora interface had something to make setting up a game easier (maybe based on Zeroconf?).

You should be able to play multiplayer over USB (I'm not sure how it would work for 3+ people, but it would be potentially easier for 2 to accomplish).

Also remember that you're not limited to playing Pandora games with another Pandora. Games like Wesnoth and Freeciv run on lots of things (Laptops, Zauruses/PDAs, etc.) that could be connected to the Pandora.

I heard someone was working on a matchmaking client for the pandora similar to xbox live
edit: It was called TINXL

TaG said:

I talked two of my friends into pre-ordering the Pandora with me. I also have 3 or so more friends who will consider buying from a later batch if they like mine.

Not to mention, like dsleaf67:

dsleaf67 said:
Just a note. There still may be a need with niche devices. I have 2 zodiacs and 2 gizmondos for multiplayer gaming. Admittedly gizmondo was not the best as the bluetooth is still somewaht locked down and not properly usuable. However, the zodiac was awesome for multiplayer,

Edit: Even for non niche devices I have 2 psp's for the samething.
I have 2 DSes that I use for multiplayer.

-God Ginrai

j6cubic said:
TaG said:

Well, the multiplayer option could also support playing via internet. Pandora + WLAN + AP + internet connection = online play. In that regard, any Linux games with online multiplayer that get ported to the Pandora should be able to keep their multiplayer modes.

Bluetooth/ad-hoc WLAN multiplayer would essentially be a special case of netplay, although it would be nice if the Pandora interface had something to make setting up a game easier (maybe based on Zeroconf?).
I agree with you regarding internet play, and TINXL as others have said. That didn't appear to be the question. :)

I've been assuming a client-server model, so that you could play versus a pandora in the same room just as well as one across the planet.

Unless the pandora reaches DS type production levels, or there's a Pandora owners convention, I'm not seeing much point in developing anything peer-peer.

It *might* be nifty to develop a cross platform app that could connect to a DS. I might be interested in that. That might theoretically springboard to Pandora-Pandora connectivity.

Wifi anyone? with internet you can connect to anyone on the internet, so you don't need a person right next to you to communicate.
EDIT: Oh... ok Trevor Bradley agrees with me.

Isn't this all handled by the OS?

Use standard protocol, then allow the hardware to connect however it likes, Wifi Bt, USB, Serial.

I wonder just how hard it is to Bt connect, since it is Linux it should be pretty simple to port a simple app or use a script to connect.

I believe this may be of interest here, although I haven't been following the project actively and don't know what its status is.

Trevor Bradley said:
I've been assuming a client-server model, so that you could play versus a pandora in the same room just as well as one across the planet.

Unless the pandora reaches DS type production levels, or there's a Pandora owners convention, I'm not seeing much point in developing anything peer-peer.

It *might* be nifty to develop a cross platform app that could connect to a DS. I might be interested in that. That might theoretically springboard to Pandora-Pandora connectivity.
Client-server would create so much unnecessary lag for people who ARE in the same room, not to mention you would need to have net access to do it.

-God Ginrai

Bluetooth is more efficient for ad-hoc multiplayer.

WiFi-wise infrastructure performance will vary from game to game in terms of latency.

Some PSP homebrew support multiplayer emulated games.

For games made especially for the pandora, a unified multiplayer platform like POND is possible.

Game_over said:
Bluetooth is more efficient for ad-hoc multiplayer.

WiFi-wise infrastructure performance will vary from game to game in terms of latency.

Some PSP homebrew support multiplayer emulated games.

For games made especially for the pandora, a unified multiplayer platform like POND is possible.
Really? I thought that bluetooth can't send enough data as fast as you want it for multiplayer. (Remember, your Pandora will be functioning as more than a controller)

-God Ginrai

Possibly, I'm looking at it from a point of view that of other systems using bluetooth for multiplayer (n-gage, zodiac, etc.) I may be mistaking, but I think there are profiles that can be built for the task. What class of bluetooth are we using?

TaG said:

That's what I was going to say, unless you're a niche asshole who has 3 friends lucky enough to own Pandoras.

Multiplayer will most likely be over long distance wifi, opposed to the DS way of 100 feet multiplayer.

Back