Is The Gp2x Gonna Be Here Oct

OMG! How am I'm going to survive a couple of weeks delay!?? ARGH, I'm going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No seriously, what Prophet said makes perfect sense :)

While us early adopters (err who've paid for them already) can probably handle a bug or 5 and wont mind firmware updates (as long as they are released in good order, maybe by the time the units arrive, I'd personally be OK with a few issues if the majority of it worked..) I can also see thats always a potential issue for the sales of goods act so I guess it's back to GPH to make a call on that during October..

If they did ship end October, when would we get them?

Maybe a few more videos as promised earlier would soften the blow of a delay.

Eolair posted on Oct 1 2005 at 12:05 PM said:
OMG! How am I'm going to survive a couple of weeks delay!?? ARGH, I'm going to die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you die, can I have your GP2X? *laugh*

Last edited by a moderator:
I pre-ordered this thing because I want to get it as soon as possible. But I'm happy to wait as long as it takes (within reason) to get a product that works properly out of the box. It's not like the GP32 I already have is going to disappear at the end of October.

hepcat posted on Oct 1 2005 at 10:06 PM said:
I pre-ordered this thing because I want to get it as soon as possible. But I'm happy to wait as long as it takes (within reason) to get a product that works properly out of the box. It's not like the GP32 I already have is going to disappear at the end of October.

Precisely... and besides, the longer before Reesy gets his 2X the longer he's likely to be working on the GP32 version of OS9x alone - which'll mean better SNES emulation on the old console for everyone who isn't yet convinced to upgrade... and *possibly* better Snes emulation on the 2X as and when it eventually (and inevitably) gets ported!

Its not like right now is turning out to be a slow time for the GP32, tbh. Although I must say, I've been incredibly impressed with Squidge's amazing port everything policy re: the 2x lol. Gonna mean a lot more out of the box... including, it seems, UAE, which is one of those make-or-break emus for a lot of people, I seem to recall.

supaimposter posted on Oct 1 2005 at 07:52 AM said:
i think the chances of us having the GP2X by the end of October are looking pretty slim right now.
We have yet to see what the final unit looks like and we havnt seen much running on it yet either.

Hiya mate !

You've got one ordered from Craig ... so have i .....

let me know what you think of the unit and i will do the same....

in the meantime what you up to?

I would wait within reason but if it is to be a month delay I would say release it unless unuseable.

The thing is we don't want to have to flash the FW ourselves unless completely necessary as a bad flash would make the GP2X unuseable.

What would we do with a bunch of bad flashed GP2Xs? No one can JTAG them back yet as we don't even know how to do it nor do we have the software to do it.

I think that some devs that want to start codin' should be able to get them early if they want though with the knowledge that they could be buggy. We don't want reviewers or the "mass market" to get them and start bitching about bugs though.

If it takes TOO long though people may start to lose interest and look elsewhere for their new handheld like a PSP, Gizmondo, DS etc.

So HURRY UP GPH and get the bugs out and the units OUT.

I agree with dave.

But I thought they were sending some units out on the 4th to reviews. I can't remember where I read that, so really either way they would get a bad review (IF the FW was bad), plus i don't think average joe is going to walk into a store or go on lik-sang the first 2 months they are out and say "hey that looks cool, might as well buy it" Then get all pissed off at the machine.

The thing I want to know is why give yourself such a narrow margin for release? I mean once you finalize the hardware then you can say "All right now we take a couple of months to check the software." so you can relax and be sure. Their closest competition the XGP isnt due out for a good long while.

Saying "end of october" so early seems like shooting themselves in the foot if they still need to test it at the BEGINING of october...

I suppose I can stand waiting a couple extra weeks. On the bright side it means that some of the devs with the kits like Squidge get a little extra time to work on projects before the community starts asking for them. But if they'd just said mid november I probably wouldnt have minded at all.

As long as it`s out before christmas i`ll be happy, I expect a lot of the younger people and non-working people here will be too. As most of them will not be able to afford the large sum that the GP2x costs in one go, And so will likely have it at the top of their christmas list.

Any later than that, And they would have missed the boat, So to speak. ;)

Trooper

as long as the first units get shipped out to devs within the next week or so, that would be the best policy and then get the rest out to the rest of us once everying is stable and emus start to materialise.

What firmware are we talking about? If it's the bootloader, I suppose that one has to be absolutely bug free... However, if we are talking about the Linux that will supposedly get updated a lot anyway, I wouldn't worry too much about a few bugs. Basic bugtesting should be done (The GP2X shouldn't be shipped without being able to play videos... :p ) but a few crashes now and then don't bother me much after years of using Windows and PalmOS... :D

The korean language review (atleast in translated form) suggests that a firmware patch to fix certain bugs will be offered if they cant finish it. I think it was specifically talking about the media player but that google translation is almsot as bad as a bable fish translation.

Back