Is the Pandora's ABXY layout confusing?

Is the ABXY layout confusing?

• Yes, I get messed up in emulators periodically

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Yes, I get messed up in many games and apps (not just emulators) periodically

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Yes, I got messed up at first but adapted and now have no problem

Votes: 7 8.0%
  • Yes, I never got messed up but personally know someone who does periodically

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe, I never got messed up and don't actually know anyone who has but can see how someone might

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • No, there's sufficient context that I don't see any potential for confusion

Votes: 55 62.5%

• Total voters

It does kind of invalidate the poll. :(

Either you have trouble or you don't. If you didn't have trouble and then were somehow convinced that you did that raises questions about the accuracy of every answer.

Except i didnt, i went from a Yes, i got messed up at first, but adapter, and now have no problem.   To a yes across the board.

Notice how the straight no has a subjective truth to it, maybe after reading into it, or giving it a thorough thinking, more people will see the issue.

It takes no more than being exposed to different systems than the gp2x to be confused.

Except i didnt, i went from a Yes, i got messed up at first, but adapter, and now have no problem.   To a yes across the board.

Notice how the straight no has a subjective truth to it, maybe after reading into it, or giving it a thorough thinking, more people will see the issue.

It takes no more than being exposed to different systems than the gp2x to be confused.
Then you are not the person I was referring to. I specifically mentioned that the number of votes for the "No" answer had gone down.

-God Ginrai

Maybe thats what i had, who knows, I could be wrong, just as someone who might have voted before, now wants to stay out as they are unsure what to vote.

You are also implying

1. that someone cares enough to try and game the system, when

2. you cant ask contextual questions in a non distinguished manner.

1. that someone cares enough to try and game the system, when
 As I said before. That is only the case assuming the person who deleted their "No" vote changed to a yes vote. That hasn't been confirmed.

2. you cant ask contextual questions in a non distinguished manner.
Not sure what you mean here. But WizardStan's question was not contextual. It's simple yes or no. There is a big distinction between the two, and switching directly between any Yes option and the No option pretty much invalidates the whole thing.

-God Ginrai

A few jumpers wouldn't really invalidate the poll. We can clearly see what the majority is.

A few jumpers wouldn't really invalidate the poll. We can clearly see what the majority is.

Either you have trouble or you don't. If you didn't have trouble and then were somehow convinced that you did that raises questions about the accuracy of every answer.
-God Ginrai
And? You can't question accuracy to the point it changes the majority in this poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to ruin your faith, but the poll is next to worhless.

There are no options for being confused, there are only options for getting messed up, which is another matter entirelly.

A good button layout is logical and is fast in terms of connotatios made by the brain.

I would suggest you didnt know this if you hadnt looked at the research or knowledge in empirical testing. Of which we know nothing by looking at numbers and graphs.

Similarly, you dont know something is confusing untill someone tell you how, one might forget that both colours and letters are arbritrary.

Also, a 4 cluster was never made with a 4 cluster in mind, it draws on the logic of something else. The accident that happened, is far from perfect.

One might also forget (when voting) that the implementation of this has been done in exclusivly different versions to each other.

Someone changing their vote isnt indifferent to the result, nor is the time it occurs. Did you read my post or not, for example. I think anything less is inherrently confusing.

I cant for the life of me understand how anyone cant be atleast on some level confused as to why there are so many different layouts of the same broken design.

As you get into the _that they are different, rather than how, which is also mind-boggling. You being to question the sentence which has "I don't see any potential for confusion"

How you ask the questions isnt unimportant.

There is no option for 100% wrong, which leads those people to not have something to vote for, and may opt out of voting.  The only solid answer here is the ones that do get confused.

The ones who dont are more likely to be false positives by how the question is asked.

Indoctrination also plays an effect, mostly seasoned users hang out at the forum, and there is a technical bar to overcome to do so, not an even voting poll to sample.

being used to the pandora, i wouldnt say im confused, unless i really thought about it. And when I do, for the case of argument, the labels could be anything, and i still would probably be likely to not be confused after a while.

When it comes down to it, I cant think of anything much more confusing than random ABXY, in itself, with respect to what the pandora is, and in the knowledge of what the others are.

I think asking what kind of mental mapping do you prefer, latin characters, symbols, colours, is a better vote, but the vote would be so great it goes back to the reasoning that you cant ask something less than the whole picture.

If you have to ask the question, you dont know what the final picture looks like, and a poll doesnt help matters in deciding it.  Merely having to ask is a warning sign to something being wrong if you ask me.

What is a good design, how could it be better, is a discussion. A vote is swayed by things such as nostalgia or agreeing majority more than anything, thats what i would be worried about in terms of getting solid answers.

Also i think looking at the majority here is all but right in the context of getting something out of the answer. A huge percentage opting for getting messed up, is _not_ good.

This poll's been open for over a week.  It's possible that due to discussions during that week that someone was reminded of some trouble they once had that they've now got over.  Or possibly someone's not voting strictly personally and some of the posts have convinced them that it could have been then them getting confused, but they were somehow lucky.

Dunno, either way it doesn't matter much what one person votes when there are over 80 votes in the system, but it's a vaguely interesting discussion point.

I think asking what kind of mental mapping do you prefer, latin characters, symbols, colours, is a better vote
No. Did you make any attempt to read anything about this poll? None of those questions would answer anything at all. The question I've asked is exactly the question I wanted to ask with the answers I needed.If the screen says something like "press X to jump" do you or do you not understand that it means the game button? Do you sometimes hit the X on the keyboard when it meant the X game button or vice versa? That is the extent of the confusion I was asking about. What does it even mean to "not know until someone tells you"? Either you're hitting the wrong button or you aren't and it should become pretty apparent that things aren't working when you do. How can you be confused about which button to press but never actually make the mistake? Do you just sit there looking at the buttons and then give up and walk away, never to press any button at all?

I don't care one iota as to people's personal opinions on what symbols or colours would be better, I just wanted to know if this one particular argument held any water.

^lol Well, the X on the keyboard didn't work and there's a X on the action button... You know what? I give up. :lol:

I think asking what kind of mental mapping do you prefer, latin characters, symbols, colours, is a better vote
Except maybe colors, we already went through that.

Also i think looking at the majority here is all but right in the context of getting something out of the answer. A huge percentage opting for getting messed up, is _not_ good.
Coming on now, the poll option isn't "do I want to get mess up".  :lol:

It isnt, I wish it was better, either.

Similarly, you dont know something is confusing untill someone tell you how, one might forget that both colours and letters are arbritrary.
That's what the maybe answer is for. "I haven't gotten messed up, but I see how people could"

-God Ginrai
Objectivly that is always the right answer, whereas not seeing it, is subjectivly false.
Interpreting the intentions of the poll-maker is another lossy process at the end, and invalidates to a great extent any answer you take as input.

there's sufficient context that I don't see any potential for confusion
This sentence would make sense to ask if it was "there is insufficient evidence to suggest there is potential for confusion"

What im getting at here, is the non declared subjectivness of someone answering, the vagueness of "context", and also the trust in an omni-potent being that cant even read the prior poll options...

My favorite confusing label of all time was on the door of a local bar.  In red letters it said:

~PUSH~
    other side

Back