Is There A Nintendo Gba/ds Emulator Out There

Altern8

Still Fresh
Hi

Are there any plans for a nintendo DS emulator? Is there a GBA out yet?

Cheers
Alt

theres a fast gba emulator out but ds would be impossible to emulate on the gp2x cause of there being only one screen

How would you emulate a 66Mhz and a 33Mhz ARM as well as graphics hardware? Have you ever heard of a device emulating another same-gen one? sigh.

I'm looking forward to this emulator! Imagine being able to play all those NDS games on the go!

damned said:
yeah but how would you emulate the touch screen?
Just a REMINDER

Jarska333 said:
Hardly because of that. I'm pretty sure the screens could alternate.
Yes, but how could it affect playability? I recall some games using both at the same time

Alex said:
How would you emulate a 66Mhz and a 33Mhz ARM as well as graphics hardware?
Dual-core nature of GP2X enters the game!
As far as I know, most titles on NDS are 2D games. Not sure if achievements on 3DO and PSX could prove useful on more complex NDS games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khan said:
damned said:
yeah but how would you emulate the touch screen?
Just a REMINDER

Jarska333 said:
Hardly because of that. I'm pretty sure the screens could alternate.
Yes, but how could it affect playability? I recall some games using both at the same time

Alex said:
How would you emulate a 66Mhz and a 33Mhz ARM as well as graphics hardware?
Dual-core nature of GP2X enters the game!
As far as I know, most titles on NDS are 2D games. Not sure if achievements on 3DO and PSX could prove useful on more complex NDS games.

Give it up, it's not going to happen.

http://wiki.gp2x.org/wiki/Emulation_Speculation#Nintendo

NDS (Nintendo DS)
Conclusion: Impossible. Won't happen ever, don't ask.

Or, prove us wrong and write one yourself. :D

saehn said:
NDS (Nintendo DS)
Conclusion: Impossible. Won't happen ever, don't ask.
So? That´s a very shallow conclusion :rolleyes:
Many people were sceptical about Mega-CD emulation (it was speculated as 'very unlikely') and Notaz proved them wrong.

Touch screen could no longer be a drawback (see topic related).

The only and bigger drawback I see is the simultaneous use of both screens and microphone support (where available). If it´s very common, it would render NDS emulation useless (Ds owners! Bring light to the matter! ;) )

Technically, I´m positive that it´s feasible for 2D games.

But why do we want it? we emulate old games, not new systems!

Buy a DS!

Khan said:
The only and bigger drawback I see is the simultaneous use of both screens and microphone support (where available). If it´s very common, it would render NDS emulation useless (Ds owners! Bring light to the matter! ;) )

The DS is a much more capable machine than you seem to be aware. While it's 'possible' (but very likely won't happen) that one or maybe both of the CPUs in the DS could be virtualised on the GP2X, the 2D hardware is extremely powerful. The GP2X struggles with some SNES games due to this and the DS' 2D hardware is much better than the SNES'.

Technically, I'm positive that it's pretty much impossible for 2D games.

Orkie said:
Khan said:

The DS is a much more capable machine than you seem to be aware. While it's 'possible' (but very likely won't happen) that one or maybe both of the CPUs in the DS could be virtualised on the GP2X, the 2D hardware is extremely powerful. The GP2X struggles with some SNES games due to this and the DS' 2D hardware is much better than the SNES'.

Technically, I'm positive that it's pretty much impossible for 2D games.

Understood...I tought DS' 2D capabilities were in the same league as GBA
Thanks for enlighten us ;)

DS is backwards compatible with GBA, sure, but it also can be much better. Just look at a typical NDS developer forum for info.

DS emu? LoL! Seems, some people live on their own planet :lol:
We don't have a full speed GBA Emu yet and the DS has much more muscles inside than the GBA. I don't even know if there is an DS emulator for PC yet.
And DS is not so retro and a very unique designed device. So why someone want a DS Emulator for GP2X? I would buy a real one instead, it's not that expensive and the lite version looks nice to. :)

I think, first every force should focus on an good GBA and a good SNES Emulator. And when we have flawless, full Speed GBA and SNES emus on GP2X (in 10 years or so ;) ) we can talk again about DS-Emulation on GP2X :lol:

fusion_power said:
DS emu? LoL! Seems, some people live on their own planet :lol:
We don't have a full speed GBA Emu yet and the DS has much more muscles inside than the GBA. I don't even know if there is an DS emulator for PC yet.
There are NDS emulators on PC since 2005. What planet do you live on? :p

fusion_power said:
And DS is not so retro and a very unique designed device. So why someone want a DS Emulator for GP2X? I would buy a real one instead, it's not that expensive and the lite version looks nice to. :)
We seem to have very different concepts of GP2X. For me it´s a device with lots of potential that lets developers expand and squeeze its functionality thanks to its open source nature and Linux support. So every project is welcome (being retro or not) if the coder thinks it´s worth trying. Of course, I was excited about NDS emulation until Orkie destroyed my illusions :p

fusion_power said:
I think, first every force should focus on an good GBA and a good SNES Emulator. And when we have flawless, full Speed GBA and SNES emus on GP2X (in 10 years or so ;) ) we can talk again about DS-Emulation on GP2X :lol:
Talk about optimism :lol:
By the way, I don´t share all that no-less-than-60-fps crazyness

Khan said:
There are NDS emulators on PC since 2005. What planet do you live on? :p
Oh, yeah? They aren't near complete and with my 2,2 GHz CPU I get awful framerate :/

Back