Is There An N64 Emu You Could Actually Port?

zacaj said:
Ive noticed they all seem to use OpenGL
Makes sense though doesn't it when the N64 was a 3D console? Why would anyone want to do software 3D and waste processor power when a £20 graphics card will do it all for you?

Last edited by a moderator:
N64 emulation on Linux isn't far enough along yet. I couldn't even get it working, although that's probably my fault. :lol:

No one said you COULDINT port A N64 emulator to the GP2x; but noone said it would run eather. :p According to what I've heard, the N64 is A much harder system to emulate than the Playastation, and thats mostly why theres A PS1 emu for the GP2X. If your really willing to develop A N64 emu for the GP2x, go for it, but it will never run full speed. Heck, Project64 runs full speed... but with ATLEAST... what.. 400MHz? anyhow....

Classic Team said:
Heck, Project64 runs full speed... but with ATLEAST... what.. 400MHz? anyhow....
400 MHz and a 3D card. In pure software, it would require much more than that.

Just forget it. This is impossible (a decent speed). It has been said one billion times on this forum, it is even a joke on one of the member's signature.

Wait for the Craiginator.

Squidge said:
zacaj said:
Ive noticed they all seem to use OpenGL
Why would anyone want to do software 3D and waste processor power when a £20 graphics card will do it all for you?

This question I would ask the official PC-MAME developers. :lol: Because MAME has alot good 3D Games to, the Emu never felt like taking much Advantage of current 3D Hardware or D3D or OpenGL. Even simple 3D Arcade Games on MAME need High End Processors while I can play N64 or PS1 Full Speed at my 6 Year old PC. ^^
Its an good Example of Hardware-optimized and Hardware-unoptimized Emulators for PC. .)

That's because the MAME project isn't there to play the games ... it's there to preserve them. So the MAME developers emulate the hardware as close as possible ... this involves pure emulation of the 3D capabilities and (much more important) the absence of speedhacks in the code. :)
For instance the most N64 emus don't emulate the 64bit CPU properly ... they take advantage of the fact, that most game developers used only 32bit code.

god_at_hell said:
That's because the MAME project isn't there to play the games ... it's there to preserve them. So the MAME developers emulate the hardware as close as possible ... this involves pure emulation of the 3D capabilities and (much more important) the absence of speedhacks in the code. :)
For instance the most N64 emus don't emulate the 64bit CPU properly ... they take advantage of the fact, that most game developers used only 32bit code.
someone should just make a quick port so people stop asking(jk)....as long as it runs better then 4fps like the jaguar emulator its good... but seriously it would be a waste of time to make ....just buy a psp(i dont even think its fast on it) there is none even for ppc yet so it would be pointless and dumb it would be more of a concept like how the zod played ps1 games lol!

predatorramboxxx said:
Squidge said:
Its full speed if you use frameskip 25 ;)
ahh so what does it run without frame skip 8fps i would try it but iam gp2xless until the f200 comes out couldn't take the joystick pain anymore

There isn't any sound either. To me that was a huge part of what made Tempest 2K good were the sound effects. I imagine that is due to the GP2X not being powerful enough.

DaveC said:
There isn't any sound either. To me that was a huge part of what made Tempest 2K good were the sound effects.

You're right, it does lose a lot from not having the music and sound effects.

So far I've completely ignored the sound in order to concentrate on getting the rest of the emulator to go as fast as possible. It was just the easiest thing to leave off in order to tackle the rest.

Once I've squeezed as much performance as I can out of the emulation of the Jag's processors and graphic chips I'll see if I can't do something about the sound.

You all seem to be forgetting about Corn, which played Mario 64 decently in software at full speed on my celeron 333 way way back, I seem to remember it having half decent compatibility...

Let me see if'n I can't find some information linkage...

http://www.smiff.clara.net/emulators/corn/index.htm
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/corn.html

It seems I was mistaken about it's "half-decent compatibility" still, with system requirements like that a port might be possible...good luck getting the source though >.>

Player 2 said:
You all seem to be forgetting about Corn, which played Mario 64 decently in software at full speed on my celeron 333 way way back, I seem to remember it having half decent compatibility...

Let me see if'n I can't find some information linkage...

http://www.smiff.clara.net/emulators/corn/index.htm
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/n64/corn.html

It seems I was mistaken about it's "half-decent compatibility" still, with system requirements like that a port might be possible...good luck getting the source though >.>

You seem to be forgetting that..

a) The Corn author has been missing for years and years, getting source would be close to impossible, if it even exists anymore
B) Even if it were it'd be very x86 specific and would have to be largely rewritten
c) A Celeron 333 is generally a lot more powerful than a 200MHz GP2X (or even a 300MHz one)
d) GP2X has no FPU, take another big, big hit to the speed

Back