Is This The End Of The Wiz

spetzie

Still Fresh
with the caanoo and pandora now out and i can't help wondering if the wiz will be forgotten about. I truly hope not as it seems to be a magical piece of hardware but generally when theres a new product, the old eventually get forgotten.

Will there still be updates and advances for the wiz or will this cease to happen!

Is this the end

I certainly hope it won't be the end...
I really like my wiz, even more than my caanoo
although the caanoo also doesn't seems to that have much going on

the forum in general seems to lack activity...

The Wiz is only dead because of GPH. They discontinued it and had the "genius" to make sure that the Caanoo was not backwards compatible even though it has the same SoC!

If they were compatible then most stuff could be used back and forth so instead of spliting the base they would have doubled it. But then again GPH doesn't always do what makes sense.

DaveC said:
The Wiz is only dead because of GPH. They discontinued it and had the "genius" to make sure that the Caanoo was not backwards compatible even though it has the same SoC!

True. I sold about 5 - 7 WIZ per day when they decided to stop it, as the Caanoo should come out one month later (actually, it came 4 months later).

Last edited:
I still like my Wiz. I like the crisp OLED screen on it. If it ever gets the pixel plague that will suck.

its a shame that they stopped production of the wiz because i have heard from alot of people that they rather the wiz for various reasons. One in particular that seems to be common is that alot of people prefer the d pad rather than analog stick thats present on the caanoo. Also they often prefer the screen.

Ive even had people tell me they were forced to buy a caanoo from their trusted sites even though they requested the wiz. A few of these people just preferred the wiz's layout where as others previously owned a wiz and wanted another or to replace a broken wiz

I think it might be dead (or dying) as well. These forums seem dead. I asked a couple question about the amiga emulator a week or two ago and only got one reply.

I recently got the WIZ and cannot believe how good a system it is. It actually is amazing for its size. My hacked pspgo and ds with ackard are collecting dust currently.

Anyway - if anyone here reading this knows how to make a save game file in It Came From The Desert for amiga LET ME KNOW! :)

The Caanoo still has not made it to the front page of this site, news topics for Caanoo and Wiz are being "ignored" by moderators. There seem to be a surplus of pandora-only moderators and they don't want any Wiz/Caanoo moderators onboard, so basically the gp2x community is slowly being dispersed. The Dingoo community is already gone, and flourishing elsewhere.

Maybe we need a new visionary like Hando to start a new community for these toys.

But yeah, as DaveC said. GPH did not make the Caanoo backward compatible. I hope there was a good reason for that.

My 2c

/Uni

I believe the Wiz is really great. The OLED screen does show that OLED rules the LCD screen. It would have been nice if they had used the same screen as say the Samsung Galaxy s phone instead of the grainy one and did a better job on the touchscreen. If the touchscreen was going to be lame they would have been better not to have even added it. Even with it's problems it's still a great system I believe and is underrated. The fact that thinkgeek(do they still sell it?) sold the Wiz for $99 made it a real buy imo

u9i said:
The Caanoo still has not made it to the front page of this site, news topics for Caanoo and Wiz are being "ignored" by moderators. There seem to be a surplus of pandora-only moderators and they don't want any Wiz/Caanoo moderators onboard, so basically the gp2x community is slowly being dispersed. The Dingoo community is already gone, and flourishing elsewhere.

Well, I approve whatever I see, but seems like not many other moderators do.
No Caanoo-Frontpage yet? Damn, seems I forgot to do that, I THOUGHT I did that already - will check it out tonight.

EDIT: Just checked. The news appear on the frontpage for months already!

But yeah, as DaveC said. GPH did not make the Caanoo backward compatible. I hope there was a good reason for that.

No idea. I know I told them it HAS to be backwards compatible last year when they first showed me the Caanoo...

Last edited:
I beleive no Wiz backward compatability was a very bad move and sealed the caanoo's doom. Also taking the D-pad off in favor of the analog controller was another bad move. What happened, did GPH go, ok lots of people liked the dpad on the wiz so let's take it off.

EvilDragon said:
DaveC said:

True. I sold about 5 - 7 WIZ per day when they decided to stop it, as the Caanoo should come out one month later (actually, it came 4 months later).

As far as I know, in France, we buy Caanoo on Play-Asia or Ebay because prices are better (sorry)and there is often the Jelly case or SD offered (sorry again).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me the Wiz actually has a nearly perfect status according to the main reason i bought it: Emulation. But also the list of homebrew applications is amazing and some of them had become very important for me. I own the Wiz since it came out and use it nearly every day until now. I can't think of any machine i bought before where my money was better invested. So for me the Wiz isn't dead and even when I will receive my Pandora it won't be useless because of its smaller size. The only wish i have is a newer optimized version of PCSX4all which let me run Tekken 3 fullspeed. ;)

It seems like with the general dissatisfaction of the Caanoo, there should be more development going on for the Wiz.

I sure hope it isn't dead. I got mine last year after I came back from Army Basic and Advanced training, and wound up taking it to Camp Ripley for a couple weeks. I played the thing so much on my free time that I didn't touch my PSP at all. I even convinced a sergeant from another company to buy one! Whenever I get deployed, this thing is gonna be a lifesaver... if it isn't declared legally dead by then.

Although... I haven't touched either since I got my new Android phone.

EvilDragon said:
u9i said:

Well, I approve whatever I see, but seems like not many other moderators do.
No Caanoo-Frontpage yet? Damn, seems I forgot to do that, I THOUGHT I did that already - will check it out tonight.

ED you do an outstanding job. But the fact is there are not many (if any) members of the moderator team that approves news in the Wiz section. I cannot speak for Caanoo, because the "Discussion board" for the Caanoo has not been featured on the frontpage before now (thanks for fixing that). With the Wiz you would see the news item in the discussion board list when it is announced, but the link will be broken until the item is approved. That is how i know how long it usually takes for Wiz-news to get approved.

EvilDragon said:
EDIT: Just checked. The news appear on the frontpage for months already!

Sorry, i meant the "Discussion board."

EvilDragon said:
No idea. I know I told them it HAS to be backwards compatible last year when they first showed me the Caanoo...

I'm sure they had a good reason :blink:

BAFelton said:
As far as I know, in France, we buy Caanoo on Play-Asia or Ebay because prices are better (sorry)and there is often the Jelly case or SD offered (sorry again).

The SD Card is also included in my offer and end-customer prices are usually fixed by GPH - they tell their distributors to keep that price.
The Caanoo is not even cheaper at PlayAsia - currently it's 102 EUR (though USD exchange rate changes daily). Add VAT to it (19% in Germany), and you're up to 122 - 125 EUR, which is exactly the same price you pay at my shop.
If you import the Caanoo from Asia, you have to pay the VAT at the customs.

Last edited:
In fact, Ebay is where most of them buy. Here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230533044701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

and there was here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/CAANOO-WIZ-2-GP2X-Linux-Handheld-Game-Emulator-Console-/120631298834?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item1c162f8b12#ht_3920wt_1139

but for this last, he increased his price. I had a white caanoo + jelly case for 135€ (no VAT and free shipping).

But I had my first Blue Caanoo at your shop ;)

For me in Ireland at least. Ordering the Caanoo from ebay more or less ended up costing the same amount than it would have from ED's shop. If there's even the smallest chance you think that you might get caught from customs I'd recommend getting it from ED since you'd have an easily accessible person if anything went wrong.

BAFelton said:
In fact, Ebay is where most of them buy. Here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230533044701&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Well, that one is gp2xstore USA, so there is VAT added by customs (otherwise it's illegal).
So that one is even more expensive than buying from me (110 EUR + VAT + Shipping)

and there was here : http://cgi.ebay.fr/CAANOO-WIZ-2-GP2X-Linux-Handheld-Game-Emulator-Console-/120631298834?pt=UK_VintageComputing_RL&hash=item1c162f8b12#ht_3920wt_1139
but for this last, he increased his price. I had a white caanoo + jelly case for 135€ (no VAT and free shipping).
But I had my first Blue Caanoo at your shop ;)

Soo... 177 EUR for a Caanoo + Jelly Case + Screen Protector?
All that would cost 142.20 EUR at my shop - you could even get the WiFi Dongle included:
Caanoo + WiFi + Jelly Case + Screen Protector = 160.05EUR in my shop...

So... basically guys buy from more expensive sources and want to tell me they're cheaper? :D

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
So... basically guys buy from more expensive sources and want to tell me they're cheaper? :D

You didn't notice the part about the prices changing. A week or two ago it was Caanoo with 4GB SD card, their branded wifi dongle, screen protector and jelly case for less from that particular vendor in Korea.

None of which has anything to do with the Wiz so say we drop it?

Back