It's A Gp2x Free-for-all

kimini

Still Fresh
I'm selling off all my GP2X stuff.

Why? Well, it just wasn't for me, you know? The main draw of the GP2X is thousands of retro games and free homebrew but... a lot of it isn't that good.

Sure, I guess I had a lot of fun with the classics; the original Mario, Earthbound, all those weird and wonderful Atari games I didn't have the joy to grow up with - but, I had to deal with the abysmal battery life, spend a good ten minutes configuring things, and carefully maintain my SD card, updating all the apps, making sure I didn't break anything, reconfiguring things to take advantage of updates...

As for the homebrew, you guys have some really really great stuff. SQDef, Ghostpix, anything Alex has made... But for every great piece of homebrew, you have 5 or so half finished barely-games, or just-about-adequate ports/interpreters with awkward controls that haven't been updated in a year.

I'm not saying the GP2X is awful. It just wasn't for me. So instead of letting it rot away in my draw, I flung it up on eBay, so someone else can enjoy the niche retro fun.

I've also chucked in all the other accessories I've bought for it as well (16 batteries, Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD, TV out, official case).

edit: Updated with new auction.

Link

What is the point of you posting in "General Talk" instead of the marketplace? Is it part of your twofold plan of getting more attention for your ebay auction AND an insult to the people releasing "crappy" homebrew?

Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD card
The fastest SD card on the market. Definitely NOT loaded with over 3000 ROMs for the 2600, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Mega Drive/Genesis, NES, SNES, Sega CD, with carefully pre-configured emulators installed. Also, does NOT have over 40 of the finest homebrew games and interpreters the community has to offer, including full versions of Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, Cave Story, etc. Y'see, if it DID have these things, it would be a breach of eBay rules. So it COMPLETELY, TOTALLY, DOESN'T. Maybe.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yrx said:
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD card
The fastest SD card on the market. Definitely NOT loaded with over 3000 ROMs for the 2600, Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Mega Drive/Genesis, NES, SNES, Sega CD, with carefully pre-configured emulators installed. Also, does NOT have over 40 of the finest homebrew games and interpreters the community has to offer, including full versions of Quake, Doom, Duke Nukem, Cave Story, etc. Y'see, if it DID have these things, it would be a breach of eBay rules. So it COMPLETELY, TOTALLY, DOESN'T. Maybe.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
Super lol!

I hope someone else enjoys this stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
kimini said:
I'm selling off all my GP2X stuff.

Why? Well, it just wasn't for me, you know? The main draw of the GP2X is thousands of retro games and free homebrew but... a lot of it isn't that good.

Sure, I guess I had a lot of fun with the classics; the original Mario, Earthbound, all those weird and wonderful Atari games I didn't have the joy to grow up with - but, I had to deal with the abysmal battery life, spend a good ten minutes configuring things, and carefully maintain my SD card, updating all the apps, making sure I didn't break anything, reconfiguring things to take advantage of updates...

As for the homebrew, you guys have some really really great stuff. SQDef, Ghostpix, anything Alex has made... But for every great piece of homebrew, you have 5 or so half finished barely-games, or just-about-adequate ports/interpreters with awkward controls that haven't been updated in a year.

I'm not saying the GP2X is awful. It just wasn't for me. So instead of letting it rot away in my draw, I flung it up on eBay, so someone else can enjoy the niche retro fun.

I've also chucked in all the other accessories I've bought for it as well (16 batteries, Sandisk Extreme III 2GB SD, TV out, official case).

Link

True enough I guess, but how does that differ from any home brew gaming scene, like dos or windows or linux or any console's home brew? The easier you make it to develop for the more chaff with the wheat, cuts both ways, harder it is the less there are getting started. Compos tend to stir that sort of thing up. Not necessarily a bad thing.

LOL

Listing removed. Perhaps advertising that it doesn't have all of those games & emus wasn't such a great idea...

Back when I was in middle school, I bought an eBay lot that advertised thousands of classic games that you could play on your computer. It turned out to be MAME with like 5 CDs full of ROMs. And that's how I got introduced to emulation! lol

don said:
What is the point of you posting in "General Talk" instead of the marketplace?
My tired eyes must've missed that forum. I apologise on that count, but:

don said:
Is it part of your twofold plan of getting more attention for your ebay auction AND an insult to the people releasing "crappy" homebrew?
Now hold on a sec: where in the post do I say "crappy"? I guess my tired eyes must've missed that too.
My main issue with homebrew is that most authors just don't have the time or resources to create a completely polished game. I have seen many a homebrew game with interesting gameplay but let down with placeholder graphics, music, annoying bugs, and not been updated in months; and it seems the author just dropped off the face of the earth.

Sphinxter said:
True enough I guess, but how does that differ from any home brew gaming scene, like dos or windows or linux or any console's home brew? The easier you make it to develop for the more chaff with the wheat, cuts both ways, harder it is the less there are getting started. Compos tend to stir that sort of thing up. Not necessarily a bad thing.
The other consoles are undoubtedly much more popular than the GP2X, and this results in more authors. And because there are more authors, there's a greater chance of some truly astounding homebrew being made.

Also, if you get tired of it, there's always commercial games to fall back on, something the GP2X sorely lacks.

iprice said:
LOL

Listing removed. Perhaps advertising that it doesn't have all of those games & emus wasn't such a great idea...
eBay has no sense of humour. I've relisted it as a buy-it-now after being asked to: Link

I agree with a lot of your points. Hopefully the pandora will introduce a better system for automatically installing configuring and managing apps. I think people will eventually get fatigued with systems like the GP2X.

Back