It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

It's here! More photos after dinner :D
20200722_175907.jpg

While the hardware is finished and we're only waiting for the arrival of some stuff, we have awesome news regarding the Pyra lowlevel stuff!

3D in combination with TILER works now!

According to ptitSeb (who created the video), it runs a lot smoother in real life, but the camera had some weird shutter / framerate issues (which also explains the heavily flickering keyboard LEDs).

So, what happened?

davesha (a member here on the board who also preordered a Pyra) bought himself an OMAP5 uEVM Devboard to help out with the issues. Well, and you can see the result!
He fixed the stuff without owning a Pyra (with the help of aTc, zmatt and tmlind, you were replying to questions and helped out testing it on a Pyra on IRC as well)

And he's not yet done - he's currently working on optimizing even more.

This is pretty awesome news - it means that the software will be a lot more mature as we expected when delivery happens :D

Now, there's one thing: It would help if he had a Pyra to work on. It would make debugging, etc. a lot more easy for him - and it would help us to get a more mature software in faster time.
I've got a few retail units here already (without packaging, etc. though) and would love to send him his unit already - but he's a bit further down the queue.

I think it would be great if I let him SKIP the line - and finish his order right away (sending him packaging and the rest of the experience later on).
He already proved that he can help and I'm pretty sure it would bea good thing for all of us.

But I don't want to decide that myself. You supported the Pyra, you helped out and you're the ones still waiting for it! So here's a poll - please let me know if davesha should be allowed to skip the queue and become the first delivered preorder - or not.
Let him get one immediately. A new horse can run faster

Reactions: rSl
Let him get one immediately. A new horse can run faster

He just got it!

The Pyra is now on British soil, in Dartford. I suspect it ended up on the slow land/sea route due to the lithium battery.

This means it should arrive tomorrow.
Fuck, no. Not Dartford!

Spent my 80s there at school and weekends (my sister lives there, still). It's no place for a nice Pyra to be.

• Haha
Reactions: rSl
True, but we revealed the Pyra before any design work had started whereas the Pandora was at board revision 3 at that time already, so a lot further developed.

Indeed. That's why I qualified my Pandora calculation with "that users were aware of". But both of these are estimations of how long users have been waiting, even if the Pandora had some development before users were aware. In many ways, comparing the Pyra's development to the Pandora's is like comparing apples to oranges. But my point is that we shouldn't try to make the apple seem bad to make the orange appear better.

-God Ginrai

He does not.
It's still that he's waiting to get all the housings coated AFAIK.
And as soon as that has happened I'll help him assemble the first 500 Pyras.

Its from daveshah , s thread, but i ditnt want to derail its thread..

Sounds great, even if whe ditnt know yet how long it will take until the Cases are Coated, as the Coating Company is still in Germany, it shouldnd be that long..

Even if the Assembly of the first 500 Pyrae is a bit slower, im fine whit the first 30 Pyrae ready after the first few days..
Its quite cool that there are Hand Assempled, even if this means lot of work

Sounds great, even if whe ditnt know yet how long it will take until the Cases are Coated, as the Coating Company is still in Germany, it shouldnd be that long..

Doesn't really sound great. Last updates were on May 4th ("Coating company will resume work tomorrow") and on June 25 ("Still waiting for coated cases"), so no progress has been made for nearly three months.

Doesn't really sound great. Last updates were on May 4th ("Coating company will resume work tomorrow") and on June 25 ("Still waiting for coated cases"), so no progress has been made for nearly three months.

There's not been much reported for a while, that's true, but we do have complete production units being made, and one that's been dispatched and received.

The fun thing is by reading all the dev posts,chats and mailinglists I already feel much more invested and knowable about my pyra (and pandora) than any other devices, even before I even actually have one. That was the case with the pandora as well, that makes these devices such good investments. For me they are so much more than another handheld in the cupboard but somehow this feels like a continuation of computer traditions of the 80s like Ive come to know when I was young. There the investment came more from reading magazines in the library than internet in my case though.

Last edited:
Cases ARE already being coated and assembly will start in about 2 - 3 weeks.
We will first assemble the upper part and then the lower one, so don't expect shipments to happen right away, but we're getting there.

I'll also create a survey to every preorder soon to figure out how many black and dark chrome coatings I need.

Back