It's software this time!

Should davesha skip the queue so he can work directly on the Pyra?

• Yes

Votes: 174 99.4%
  • No

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

and the employer gave a day's wage to the hired hand who came at the end of the day. so when it came round to the employee who had worked all day, they thought they would receive more -- but alas they too received a day's wage. "but boss, we have born the heat of the day, and you gave those who worked only an hour the same as us."

the boss replied, "did you not agree to a day's wage for your work?" "i guess", replied the hired hand. "then don't be upset that i am generous, for you shall receive a 4GB pyra as per our contract."
I don't quite see, how the effort for that employer to scale the wage compares to the effort for ED to scale the RAM of only 22 devices in mass production. Now of course, one could propose, that all devices get produced with 4GB and 22 devices get half their RAM destroyed after, but that seems quite silly to me.

I don't quite see, how the effort for that employer to scale the wage compares to the effort for ED to scale the RAM of only 22 devices in mass production. Now of course, one could propose, that all devices get produced with 4GB and 22 devices get half their RAM destroyed after, but that seems quite silly to me.
Just ask the 22 people to please pay more. If they genuinely can’t, then ED upgrades them for free. If they can, they’re getting more than they ordered for and it’s reasonable that they pay more for it. I imagine most people who have one of these preordered aren’t so pinched that the difference would really hurt, but if it does, I think a free upgrade is totally reasonable and I don’t mind it as a 4gb preorderer.

Reactions: rSl
+1 for the red pyra, schade...

Yes, just like
pyrared.png
!

Just ask the 22 people to please pay more. If they genuinely can’t, then ED upgrades them for free. If they can, they’re getting more than they ordered for and it’s reasonable that they pay more for it. I imagine most people who have one of these preordered aren’t so pinched that the difference would really hurt, but if it does, I think a free upgrade is totally reasonable and I don’t mind it as a 4gb preorderer.
Valid enough. Though, answering with "I genuinely can't" would always raise the suspicion, that maybe the answerer is just greedy. Than ED would just have spared them that pre-emptively. ?
Yes, just like
pyrared.png
!
Nah, more like Neelix'
pyra_darkrednoisy_black-png.27510

Yes, just like
pyrared.png
!
I have no doubt those will be buyable as a post market 3d printed expensive replacement case. However, for the standard mass production one, cost need to be low. That means as few colors as possible and as simple as possible. That means standard colors, which means black at this time.

The other colors wwill come out in 2 months....

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Valid enough. Though, answering with "I genuinely can't" would always raise the suspicion, that maybe the answerer is just greedy. Than ED would just have spared them that pre-emptively. ?

Nah, more like Neelix'
pyra_darkrednoisy_black-png.27510
At the end of the day as a 4gb order I don’t care if 22 people get more without paying as much as I did. If it’s a bigger pain for ED, he needs to do what’s easiest and I think it’s only the worst human tendency for everyone who was preordered to pay more to get more to complain that that few people pay less the get as much. Who cares. They didn’t know it years ago when they ordered.

I just want my Pyraaaaaa

I'm just chiming in to say that I did not receive an email. I pre-preordered in 2015, no. 199!
You did remember to uprgade your pre-preorder to a mainline pre-order starting in May 2016, right? You'll need to do that before you can pay for a final unit, but luckily you can still do that today. There were reportedly a good few dozen people who never upgraded their pre-preorders all along, so I guess it makes sense you see one pop up from time time time now.

I got a slightly less silly solution.

If I'm not mistaken there are 4 RAM chips on the board.

If any of the preorder boards have one or two defective memory chips those could put aside and shipped as 3 or 2 GB devices with the defective chips disabled in the firmware.

Hopefully none of the RAM chips end up defective but if it happens this could work out just fine.

Why would 2gb vs 4gb require different codebases? If you install win 10 or Linux on your desktop, then as some extra ram, you don't have to do anything... At least afaik

Tradition PC memory has an EEPROM chip on it (SPD) that contains the size and the timings.

That would be overkill for an embedded board like the Pyra. What the Pyra CPU board has is a resistor that can be fitted or not fitted depending on whether the board is 2GB or 4GB.

The bootloader should be able to autodetect that and set things up accordingly, but I don't think anyone ever made that work due to the decreasing interest in 2GB units, so there are just different bootloader builds for 2GB and 4GB.
Post automatically merged:

That could work, but the resulting units would have half of the memory bandwidth.
Indeed, that's not an ideal situation given that GPUs tend to enjoy having lots of memory bandwidth; and TILER does, unavoidably, somewhat eat into available video memory bandwidth due to the overhead of rotation.

Back