I''ve Just Got A Wiz

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
I've just received what is supposed to be the final Wiz, ie the production one, from GPH.

I need to ask some questions from those of you in the know.

The Dpad on my unit it basically unusable as it has no pivot, it's just a cross put across 4 buttons, you can even press the whole thing down at once, I thought they were putting a pivot in? Have they sent me an old wiz here?

I need to know before making any further comments about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
ED didn't mention anything like that:
www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?s=&showtopic=46378&view=findpost&p=722942

Give him a call?

The one I have doesn't have that problem. I hope that they didn't change it to this :/

'craigix' said:
I've just received what is supposed to be the final Wiz, ie the production one, from GPH.

I need to ask some questions from those of you in the know.

The Dpad on my unit it basically unusable as it has no pivot, it's just a cross put across 4 buttons, you can even press the whole thing down at once, I thought they were putting a pivot in? Have they sent me an old wiz here?

I need to know before making any further comments about this.
Odd as I can't press all points on my pad, but they are sending me another version soon. I will comment on that.

Craig's was supposed to be a final production unit, but I'm wondering if they didn't just cobble one together out of spare parts. I hope that's the case, because otherwise the actual shipping units will be virtually unusable for most games.

'Chip' said:
Craig's was supposed to be a final production unit, but I'm wondering if they didn't just cobble one together out of spare parts. I hope that's the case, because otherwise the actual shipping units will be virtually unusable for most games.
Chip have you played with Craigs unit?

WarmFluffyUK said:
'Chip' said:

Of course he hasn't. Answer my question instead ;p

Sorry but I own a wiz and it's soo much fun on the games I play. I was just wondering that Chip put his expert knowledge of the Wiz First hand or was it based on a rival. Do you see what I mean?

WarmFluffyUK said:
Now that's a loaded question!

No, there is the minor issue of the Atlantic Ocean that prevents me from playing with any of Craig's toys. He did go on at length over IM about how the pivotless dpad that he has is borderline useless though. As I said, I hope GPH just sent him an old unit they had lying around and not the final design, because having a pivot under the dpad is vital. You yourself have said that the pivotless version was very difficult to use.

WarmFluffyUK said:
Sorry but I own a wiz and it's soo much fun on the games I play. I was just wondering that Chip put his expert knowledge of the Wiz First hand or was it based on a rival. Do you see what I mean?

Was my question really so difficult? I asked if you had a production unit, not "a Wiz." A number of us have prototype units (of at least two different types) and obviously there's a pivot in our dpads. But unless you have the same latest model, meant for production, that craigix has then you can't verify that they didn't modify things. And I thought it'd be a little strange if GPH sent you one in addition to the prototype, not sure why you'd need it, but maybe they really love you.

You should possibly read Chip's post more critically, because he wasn't saying what GPH is definitely doing. He was offering a possibly explanation/justification that was in fact in GPH's defense. With that in mind do you think that a sarcastic jab at him was really appropriate?

We can all conclude that one (and only one) of these scenarios is correct:

- craigix is lying or somehow horrible mistaken

- GPH sent craigix a version that is intentionally or unintentionally inferior from what they'll be shipping

- GPH made a design change (ie, we're fucked)

Do you see what I mean?

WarmFluffyUK said:
I don't think Craig likes GPH....

So you're picking scenario a, I take it. And I think it's very unlikely that he'd find one of ours unusable and it doesn't sound like he was jumping to conclusions after playing it for 10 seconds. So you think that he's lying.

Don't forget, craigix is selling these in his shop. He doesn't want them to suck. If he's overly critical of them it's probably because of that, not because he's trying to sabotage them. And lying about such a thing would be pretty crazy, since he'd be exposed pretty quickly and suddenly a lot of people would doubt his credibility.

You routinely come off like a GPH salesperson. I think it's more likely that you would inevitably not admit a flaw than it is that craigix would make up one out of thin air. Not that this is what's happening now but if I had to weigh craigix's bias against the Wiz vs your bias for it...

I think Craig just got a duff one if he's telling the truth, and I don't see why he wouldn't. Maybe I'm missing something there...

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that ED would mention they'd "roughened up" the d-pad surface, but then not notice a lack of pivot in such a fast paced game as Sonic.

'Exophase' said:
'WarmFluffyUK' said:
Odd as I can't press all points on my pad

Is yours a new (production) unit?

I received a new Wiz today with games on the Nand (though oddly not mine). I believe it may be a production unit for this reason and also the fact that it has even better buttons and D-pads (even the plastic has a different texture. The D-Pad feels even better than the previous pivoted one and I believe also has a pivot though I have not directly tried to press it in the middle.

Sorry Exo but my comment about I don't think Craig likes GPH.... was posted before yours, But obviously after. I started typing it before your post and I got distracted and came back to it and then posted.

Sorry for being out of phase.

'Peter R' said:
'Exophase' said:
'WarmFluffyUK' said:
Odd as I can't press all points on my pad

Is yours a new (production) unit?

I received a new Wiz today with games on the Nand (though oddly not mine). I believe it may be a production unit for this reason and also the fact that it has even better buttons and D-pads (even the plastic has a different texture. The D-Pad feels even better than the previous pivoted one and I believe also has a pivot though I have not directly tried to press it in the middle.

May I ask if Myriad was included?

Back