I''ve Just Got A Wiz

It has to have a pivot. Not even GPH would do something that dumb with a dpad. I hope... :p

I'm with the "Craig just got a bum unit" theory.

Anyway - those with final production units - start posting detailed impressions ASAP. I'm still slightly on the fence with buying a Wiz right away, but if certain things have been addressed (tearing is fixable via new methods, controls work well etc.) then I may jump in at launch.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm becoming more and more unsure about my Wiz Purchase. (I purchased it over a month ago).

I really hope I'm not dissapointed, I don't happen across $180 very often (First time in years since I've had that much money).

I just tried on my Wiz prototype. Since the d-pad is a bit on the tiny and shallow side it does sort of feel like pushing on the middle pushes it all down, but it definitely has a pivot. If you press on one side the other side goes up. craigix might just be mistaken, although I don't really see how anyone can find it almost unusable if it's the same as ours.

'Exophase' said:
I just tried on my Wiz prototype. Since the d-pad is a bit on the tiny and shallow side it does sort of feel like pushing on the middle pushes it all down, but it definitely has a pivot. If you press on one side the other side goes up. craigix might just be mistaken, although I don't really see how anyone can find it almost unusable if it's the same as ours.

Craig, can you take a picture to show us what you mean?

Craig, you may have a flawed unit, I suggest you take it apart and see if the underside's pivot is missing loose and then post pics of it.

<<what is going on with everyone, since I've got back chip want everyone to move to and unfinished forum, the mods are fighting like 12 year olds, members are pitting GPH vs OP team yet agian...somethings got to give.....>>

'Game_over' said:
<<what is going on with everyone, since I've got back chip want everyone to move to and unfinished forum, the mods are fighting like 12 year olds, members are pitting GPH vs OP team yet agian...somethings got to give.....>>
Yeah it's kind of a sad state of affairs. A lot of stuff has been going on lately, especially with the Wiz launching soon as well as the Pandora. You can actually feel the tension in both forums sometimes. (even though that should be physically impossible) Regardless I hope it is just a flawed unit Craigix received. Hopefully it's not a situation where quite a few units have missing pivots.

Those who know GP32Spain, Anarchy recently posted the following impression of the final production Wiz he received (translated via google):

Wiz Today I received a "final" (the production date is April 15), and has left me feeling that is unbeatable. I am absolutely amazed with the final product quality. The screen is incredible, the tactile response is excellent, the viewing angle and contrast are acojonantes. And for those who doubted the buttons, they tell you that well, both the pad and buttons, tested thoroughly with the MAME.

Sounds rather good.

It will be interesting to hear more impressions as people receive these production units.

Source:

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n...history_state0=

I didn't expect to wake up to this many replies.

I've tried to do circular motions in the Myriad game and I can't, and this is coming from someone who didn't mind the F100 stick :)

I'll take it apart and see what's going on before doing any review, but I've got to admit the controls are not exactly comfortable so far, although I'm told you naturally adjust to a different playing position after a while.

I may well be making the Pandora, but I sell the Wiz and the Dingoo which are very different machines to the Pandora and we make a lot more profit from the Wiz over the Dingoo, but I'm going to be a more cautious in my reviews after previous events.

Prophet said:
Wiz Today I received a "final" (the production date is April 15), and has left me feeling that is unbeatable. I am absolutely amazed with the final product quality. The screen is incredible, the tactile response is excellent, the viewing angle and contrast are acojonantes. And for those who doubted the buttons, they tell you that well, both the pad and buttons, tested thoroughly with the MAME.
Sounds great, thanks!

'pandora' said:
'Prophet' said:
Sounds great, thanks!

Those square buttons are preposterous, isn't anarchy the Spanish distributor?

Prophet I can probably get a Wiz to you and DaveC for a proper review if you like, I'm not a joypad guru, but someone who really knows their joypads needs to have a proper look at the Wiz to give a hardcore opinion.

Well I don't have the very latest model but I'm very happy with the dpad on mine. It does have a pivot (which wasn't included on the very first prototype I might add and only added when myself and everyone else who had the first model said it was needed, along with the proper buttons). The only thing it took me a little while to get used to on my unit was that the buttons were too easy to press, very light - but it just took time to adapt a little. I hear though that the buttons are firmer on the new unit so even that doesn't apply anymore.

I want more information please. A review or something. Photographs would also be good.

Most importantly I want to know when I will actually, finally, receive my Wiz.

'craigix' said:
Aren't you the guy behind the Pandora ;)

My production Wiz is currently at Uni but from what I have used it for I can only tell you that if Craig has a production model then he is outright lying.

'craigix' said:

Prophet I can probably get a Wiz to you and DaveC for a proper review if you like, I'm not a joypad guru, but someone who really knows their joypads needs to have a proper look at the Wiz to give a hardcore opinion.
Thanks for the offer. If someone wants to send me a final production unit, I would gladly write up a review with photos. I would just need a place to host it. Maybe Guyfawkes @ Emuholic, he's an old friend and they post hardware reviews sometimes

Peter R. - I don't think Craig is lying. In all fairness he is selling the Wiz, so why would he want them to be seen negatively? Personally I think the Wiz and Pandora are extremely different, and I don't see them as direct competitors. It's like the GBA Micro and the DS - lots of people own both. The Dingoo is the Wiz's real competitor - they are very similar - that's the one GPH has to watch out for.

'Prophet' said:
...The Dingoo is the Wiz''s real competitor - they are very similar - that''s the one GPH has to watch out for.
Plus dingo, is NOT only variant of that handheld, i saw 2 different companies producing this handheld but using under diffrent names. So situation will be hot for GPH this time....

I`m happy with the controls on my Wiz too. I had a blast playing through the first two episodes of Quake and they worked just as they should have.

Back