Jntetri 0.8.5

Jan-Nik

Simple Tetris clone using OpenGL.

wiz.png

Performance still isn't good when you reach the top, other than that it works. Multiplayer isn't finished and I also haven't added any sound yet.

http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,25,407

Hi Jan-Nik

I am not much of a tetris fan, but it's a nice game. I really like the way i can visually see the blocks rotate. And the fact you can play in landscape and portrait modes. It is also cool that the pieces find a place at the top so it isn't game over until you are really clogged up :)

Some things i had trouble with: When i was writing my name in the highscore i missed my last character of my name... twice... I saw my full name, and hit B, but then the last character wasn't really included in the name. I think it should be. Also, the X button is quite annoying. I think it is probably just because it is difficult to see where it will fall. I had many frustrating moments even hitting it accidentally. Maybe it would be nicer to swap the X and A, as the rotate function becomes more important when you are pressed for time. Just a thought. Another think you could add to the drop function is to show the block falling, like you show when they rotate. It would fitt better with the flow of the game i think, just like you can see how the block rotate and how you see when you change between portrait and landscape views.

That multiplayer thing sounds interesting. Looking forward to it. Any chance of sharing the source code?

/Uni

Nice, what are the changes to version 0.8.4, Jan-Nik?

Forgot to mention, it would help a lot with some visual aid for the drop function (so i don't make so many mistakes ;) )... Anyways keep up the good work.

/Uni

u9i said:
Hi Jan-Nik

I am not much of a tetris fan, but it's a nice game. I really like the way i can visually see the blocks rotate. And the fact you can play in landscape and portrait modes. It is also cool that the pieces find a place at the top so it isn't game over until you are really clogged up :)
Thanks :) Spend quite a lot time on that rotation code so I'm happy you like it.

Some things i had trouble with: When i was writing my name in the highscore i missed my last character of my name... twice... I saw my full name, and hit B, but then the last character wasn't really included in the name. I think it should be.
You're right. I will fix that.

Also, the X button is quite annoying. I think it is probably just because it is difficult to see where it will fall. I had many frustrating moments even hitting it accidentally. Maybe it would be nicer to swap the X and A, as the rotate function becomes more important when you are pressed for time. Just a thought.
Hm ... I'm using the B button to rotate the blocks but I can see that you could hit X accidentally when using A.

Another think you could add to the drop function is to show the block falling, like you show when they rotate. It would fitt better with the flow of the game i think, just like you can see how the block rotate and how you see when you change between portrait and landscape views.
I thought about this too, but imagined that it could become really annoying. Also I don't know how to implement this. Should the game logic logic pause for the animation? What if you are faster then the animation?

That multiplayer thing sounds interesting. Looking forward to it.
It will be 1on1 only and I'm not sure the Wiz will handle it. Don't expect anything soon ;)

Any chance of sharing the source code?
Of course: http://github.com/jhasse/jntetri
I'm using my own game library which is currently in the works: http://jngl.watteimdocht.de

sbock said:
Nice, what are the changes to version 0.8.4, Jan-Nik?
Name input for highscores and some other minor things I can't remember.

u9i said:
Forgot to mention, it would help a lot with some visual aid for the drop function (so i don't make so many mistakes ;) )...
Ok, I'll add that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan-Nik said:
Another think you could add to the drop function is to show the block falling, like you show when they rotate. It would fitt better with the flow of the game i think, just like you can see how the block rotate and how you see when you change between portrait and landscape views.
I thought about this too, but imagined that it could become really annoying. Also I don't know how to implement this. Should the game logic logic pause for the animation? What if you are faster then the animation?
I imagine it should be very fast. Just not instantaneous like it is now, but so fast that you could stop the logic if you like, but i'm not sure it is necessary though. Maybe even some kind of animated trail would be enough, and that could animate/fade away. It is just something to think about. The drop-block function was the only thing that felt somehow out of place. Everything else was nicely animated.

I noticed that it was very heavy (18fps) when in normal mode with all the text. Do you have any idea why?

u9i said:
Jan-Nik said:
I imagine it should be very fast. Just not instantaneous like it is now, but so fast that you could stop the logic if you like, but i'm not sure it is necessary though. Maybe even some kind of animated trail would be enough, and that could animate/fade away. It is just something to think about. The drop-block function was the only thing that felt somehow out of place. Everything else was nicely animated.
You're right, I will see how complicated it is to implement this. Could take a while ;)

I noticed that it was very heavy (18fps) when in normal mode with all the text. Do you have any idea why?
I think it's just too many polygons for the Wiz 3D chip to handle. Every letter consists of 2 triangles.

Back