Joystick Proplem

Targus

Website
www.romnation.net
ok this is a weird problem I had ever since i got my gp2x... I dont know if its normal or not uhhh its hard for me to explain so please be patience with me i know alot of you in this forum are and vary good helpers so i am not worried.

ok the joys stick goes right and up fine like i just need to push on it right and it goes right or push up and it goes up. but left and down act kind of weird they work but if i push down nothing happens and it i push left nothing happens unless i push really hard or put my thumb at the edge of the top and press down same with going left got to go to the right ledge and press left... is this normal? :unsure:

i dont know really i mean the joystick is poo, what f/w you running also is this happening in emus or just the main menu? sounds to me like the normal crap joystick but i could be wrong

i dont know really i mean the joystick is poo, what f/w you running also is this happening in emus or just the main menu? sounds to me like the normal crap joystick but i could be wrong
uhh well running the linux is the worst.. on the sega gen emulator its... its the same *sniff* :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine does exactly the same. Up and right are fine but left and down are playing up.

When I play Quake or Doom I have to push left several times before it reacts.

Same on the main menu as well. Right is working well, left I have to push several times.

Mine does exactly the same. Up and right are fine but left and down are playing up.

When I play Quake or Doom I have to push left several times before it reacts.

Same on the main menu as well. Right is working well, left I have to push several times.
good to know its not just mine is this a defect should i send it back i dont know if its worth it... though but hell its gets anonying sometimes

Do you have the stock cap. It sucks. Either mod a replacement yourself, or buy DaveC's cap ... it's seriously an amazing improvement.

*note, your cap's shaft may be hitting up against the sides of the joystick opening; if so, try to file a small flat spot on the side that is making contact so it will clear the hole ...

Yeah, I ordered DaveC's cap, hopefully there will be an iprovement 'cause this is driving me nuts.

How do you take off the cap? Do you just twist it or something? Didn't want to try in case I break it...

Do you have the stock cap. It sucks. Either mod a replacement yourself, or buy DaveC's cap ... it's seriously an amazing improvement.

*note, your cap's shaft may be hitting up against the sides of the joystick opening; if so, try to file a small flat spot on the side that is making contact so it will clear the hole ...
I dont know what a capshaft is but is sounds do able right now i do have the gamecube mod thing on the joystick it isnt helping to much makes the feel alittle better and it dosent make an indent on my thumb when it has to go agiest the top edge to press down lol i would like to know more about the spoon thing though if you dont mind

Have you tried twisting the joystick a few times?

I did that and it seems to work a little better.
wow that worked! thanks lol they should make that a sticky now it works fine thanks alot man!

They did, you ignored it.

If all else fails, prove the stick itself works by twisting up and pulling the cap off (don't lose it!) and then trying the games or test menu again with just the brass stick. If that hurts you, wear a glove, we are just out to prove the fault is with the cap you took off, and not the actual stick. As long as you have the cap off replace it with something better, I really like the one where you put a 6mm bead in place of the stick, also a good thing would be a cap from an old controller that fits, or if you have the money, DaveC's caps look like the ones to beat.

Edit, on the subject of beads, I think eBay has a good deal 144 for $2 Search eBay 6mm acrylic

Have you tried twisting the joystick a few times?

I did that and it seems to work a little better.
wow that worked! thanks lol they should make that a sticky now it works fine thanks alot man!

They did, you ignored it.

If all else fails, prove the stick itself works by twisting up and pulling the cap off (don't lose it!) and then trying the games or test menu again with just the brass stick. If that hurts you, wear a glove, we are just out to prove the fault is with the cap you took off, and not the actual stick. As long as you have the cap off replace it with something better, I really like the one where you put a 6mm bead in place of

The stock cap can be pushed to low so it's touching the front panel. This it's major cause of such problems (I had similar). The second (much less frequent but I had this one too) is too much rubber on the chipset pushing the lcd from the back. Both can be fixed fortunately and newer gp2x don't have any rubber apparently (after removing it I couldn't see any difference in anything so it was there for no purpose - except for making problems).

They make replacement PSP joystick caps, little plastic nubs similar to some of the mods I've seen here, I'm wondering if one of those could be put on the gp2x, I might pick it up and see if they fit.

Anyone try those replacement PSP joystick caps yet? I want someone else to bite the bullet and find out if it fits on the gp2x stick ;)

I don't think it is just the cap that is causing problems. At least for me even removing it and playing with the bare metal stick did not work right. It is better, because you can hold it quite firmly then, but the trouble with pressing diagonals instead of vertical/horizontal is a real nuisance. Hopefully someone will think up a way to mod this too...

Back