Just a bunch of pics

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
I received these pics last week already, but I haven't found the time to upload them now.
These reflect all the changes that have been discussed and made.
As they probably look mostly the same than before for most of you, I'll try to explain what has changed here.

IMG_20180207_115539.jpg IMG_20180207_115550.jpg IMG_20180207_115555.jpg IMG_20180207_115607.jpg IMG_20180207_115617.jpg

Here you can the changed Stylus holder. What has changed here is that small cut (you can see it clearly on the left side on the third picture.
This has been changed because it was almost impossible to remove the stylus otherwise.

IMG_20180207_115648_ALT.jpg

This was the biggest change: The moulds weren't properly aligned, so ALL holes were a bit off. The have no been moved to the middle!

IMG_20180207_115704.jpg

The plastic inside the battery compartment has been thickened a bit, as it couldn't be properly filled with the mold before.

IMG_20180207_115718.jpg IMG_20180207_115724.jpg

The opening of the frame has been changed a tiny bit, as the LCD wasn't properly aligned in the middle.

IMG_20180207_115748.jpg IMG_20180207_115752.jpg

The clips have been strengthened a bit.

IMG_20180207_115802.jpg

The height of the bridges has been changed a bit so that it closes properly.

IMG_20180207_115841.jpg IMG_20180207_115846.jpg IMG_20180207_115850.jpg

Sholderbuttons have been fixed to properly work (hopefully!)

IMG_20180207_115930.jpg

Just showing the full set :)

IMG_20180207_120553.jpg IMG_20180207_120558.jpg IMG_20180207_120607.jpg IMG_20180207_120611.jpg

These are the moulds for the speaker sealing.
They are made of silicone and the parts will be produced on Monday, which is why we only see pictures of the moulds with the changes applied.

These have been changed to properly fit on top of the speakers.

Well, so much for the current state of the cases.

One more information about the whining noise the Pyra does (I've already posted about this in the other thread, so most of you will already know):

As it looks like, we don't need to use Tantalum capacitors.
Nikolaus found a different solution by replacing somr parts.
Here is his detailed explanation (from the other track):

we will try to split the function of the tps2505 into two chips.
Fortunately, such chips exist:
  • tps2561a for the USB-power switch and current limiter and
  • tps630250rnd for the buck/boost converter to make 5V out of the battery voltage.
Interestingly the chips are smaller so that the total area they need is approx. the same as for the tps2505,
The tps630250rnd uses a different scheme for low-power-consumption clients than the tps2505.
It can run in PWM mode at 2.5GHz while the tps2505 did reduce the recharging frequency until it became audible by the piezo effect of the capacitors.

So basically, the tps2505 (the "wonky chip") drives the capacitors with an audible frequency - which is causing the noise. By replacing it with different ones, we can change the frequency into a non-audible one.

The only thing we need to check is that the new circuit can provide enough power for the USB port.
Fortunately, that can be tested with a simple PCB.

This has already been designed, layouted and is in production. The parts also have been ordered.

While waiting for it to arrive, Nikolaus will change the layout on the mainboard already, so that we can put it into production right away as soon as we confirm it to be working.

So yep, the next prototypes will already have that new circuit included (if it works, but we're 99,9% sure it will).

So much for today. Not too many news, but a few nice pictures :)

Well, if you guys can sidestep the tantalum cap problem while still having things work, that solves the problem, and in a way where we won't need to wait months for a fix, as well.

Hopefully things keep going to plan!

Well, the proposed change does require a new set of boards to be ordered from china, while using tantalum could probably be done using the same PCBs just substituting the component I think. But those boards haven't be ordered in mass quantities yet, and even if they were ordered next week or so they wouldn't get made before the chinese new year shutdown. This will add another prototype PCB run for the mainboard therefore, but I guess there are other things on the project plan which were due after the mainboard was meant to be ready, so an extra prototype revision doesn't push the deadline out as much as you might think.

Well, the proposed change does require a new set of boards to be ordered from china.

No. We need to order a new set of boards from China anyways to build the next prototypes, as these have had more changes since the last revision.
If you read my posts from months ago, I always mentioned that we'll produce a new set of CPU boards (with the 4GB fixes) and a new set of mainboards (with a lot of other small fixes).
These will be the ones the prototype orderers will receive.

I even mentioned the timeline there: First finish the CPU board layout, then work on Wifi / the noisy capacitors because the CPU boards need longer to be produced than the mainboards.
As the CPU boards need 6 weeks to be produced but the mainboards only 3 - 4 (even less if we use express), we always had 2 - 3 weeks more time to finish the mainboards.

This is nothing new, it doesn't need anything else than planned and it's not delaying anything, as they will arrive the same time the CPU boards arrive.

Yay more pictures!
So uh...how much will you be selling the clear cases for? Don't think I'll be able to afford a Pyra for a while, so I at least want the case to fond-I mean, examine in the meantime.

Great updates, it is another step closer to the completed Pyra.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Yay more pictures!
So uh...how much will you be selling the clear cases for? Don't think I'll be able to afford a Pyra for a while, so I at least want the case to fond-I mean, examine in the meantime.
My idea! Maybe it will be possible to squeeze a Raspberry Pi in there! ;-)

@ED great progress and congrats on avoiding the tantalum dilemma!

You know that the nubs aren't part of the case, right? ;)

Now you know where the tide pod challenge originated from :p
Pretty sure that Willy Wonka encouraged you to eat scrumdiddlyumptious candy, and not peroxides and chemicals that could eat a hole through your esophagus.

I'm pretty sure it was teenagers being dumb that invented the tide pod challenge, or stuff like the cinnamon challenge, the salt and ice challenge, or the dry ice challenge before it.

In a way I'm kinda glad they weren't around in the 90s. Half the stuff we had back then would've killed these kids, with the utter lack of judgment they seem to have for their own well-being...

Do we get to see a destruction test of a clear case, or do we have to wait for the fiberglass reinforced ones?

Back