Just a think

MarTinazzI

I remember that many users of pandora asked a version of Opera for Pandora and Opera gave us a minimum number of users for them to mobilize to make a version for us.

Ok, just.

But if instead we make the request only to the community of the Open Pandora, we ask for the community Angstrom, not only for the Angstrom, but all communities based on it. So have a number of users calling greater attention to private developers not only to us but benefiting the entire community.

As I said, it's just a thought, but it would be interesting to get some questions about it.

MarTinazzI, rafael​

Angstrom users can already run Opera, provided they're using an x86 build of Angstrom.

That said, as far as I know if we had an ARMv4T build of an Opera binary, it should be possible to run it on our ARMv7 pandoras as well as a lot of other handheld decides dating back 15-20 years or so.

ED said he had the n900 version running but it was unusable because of maemo specific stuff.

Actually Opera software is not using the Presto engine anymore... and stepped to webkit/blink (Chromium)... and the result is that the new versions of Opera browser lacks almost ALL the functions that the old browser (v12.16) had ... (irc protocol, notes, bookmark manager, filters for EVERY single function with a list of something, text files for the configuration of the ENTIRE browser+menu+interface, the macros that were used for every single function and were able to even use directly JS code, dragonfly that was one of the best html/js debugger around, integrated ip block list... and many many many more...)

Starting from the first new release based on Chronium for now the only "Opera" function added is the Opera Turbo... renamed in Off-Road mode... the rest is either an alfa function to be manually activated or a plugin with even less functionality...

With the old version plugins weren't even required... all the functions were there...

For what it counts, I think at this point should be better to ask for an open source release of the Presto engine...

I'm always watching the development progress of the new browser, but I have not so many hope... with my "old" version I can navigate with always more than 100 tabs open (even with irc channels), and it starts faster than the last version with "just" one tab...

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, that was exactly the reason I quit using Opera on my desktop and phone.

And I was an Opera User since V3 (I even bought it back then, when it was still commercial or free with Ads)

Opera 12.16 runs fine and uses the old Engine. You talk about "Opera Next" which has not much more to do with Opera, it's more like Chrome.  I will use Opera 12.16 as long as possible. It's grown onto my System since years and still runs great, even when some Pages don't like Opera from time to time.

Again, nothing can replace the "fit to width" button that only Opera has (and No, there is no working plugin for Firefox that can do this behaviour, I've tried them all! )  This would be actualy the main reason why Opera could be so great for Pandora: The full an auto re-formating of Websites to fit onto the screen WITHOUT zooming. :) Firefox Engine just can't do this, that's the problem and that's why there are no working plugins for Firefox that really re-format a website on the fly. Same for Chrome I'm afraid.

Opera user here as well, since V3 or so. I too am disappointed by the current "Opera Next", but I can understand that they don't want to keep maintaining a rendering engine that no web developer cares about, while everyone is using webkit.

For now I'm mostly staying on 12.16, and hope they'll eventually turn Opera Next into something that has at least the same features and as good performances as 12.16. But it will probably take some time...

... a rendering engine that no web developer cares about ...
The not so understandable thing here is that Presto was following at 100% the web standards... Opera Software was so much into the standards that they were using external scripts to render non standard pages, just to not burden the core with the not standard tags used by other browsers...

Now all the internet pages MUST CONTAIN at least webkit and moz tags to be rendered correctly... or a web designer must specifically put in the page "Best viewed with <insert browser here>"

It's like a deja-vu of the Internet Explorer story...

Back