Just Bought A Gp2x And Have A Lot Of Easy Questions.

kgonepostl

Still Fresh
1.) The guy I bought it from said he got it a few months after release. I think it's a fx-100 which is why it looks like shit in the sun and there's nothing I can do about it. Is there anything I can do abou it? Is the mk2 the same with the terrible in the sun problem?

2.) I obviousely need to buy another "joypad". Is this the joypad that comes with the new mk2 models? Or is play-asia lyin? This doesn't look right. I may be wrong. Please let me know
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-d1-77-...2x-70-1fp3.html

3.) Is it just me? Even with headphones, the gp2x can't handle trebble at all. I get this distorted sound even with headphones! If I turn the volume up enough it sounds pretty bad. Classical music works just great though, especially with piano instumentals. However, when I blast some rap or heavy metal with some hard beats it sounds like garbage. Maybe there's a fix I don't know about?

4.) What is the lcd option for in the options? I can't quite figure out what it's for. Besides me being able to see hardcore scanlines with movies when I crank it to max. :p

I know it may seem that I'm asking too much at once. But if you even know 1 of the questions I asked you will still be a extremely great help!

Thanks!

1. Look at the sticker on the back it will tell you what model it is.

2. You just need a new cap. Yes, that's a good one.

3. What firmware do you have? I remember one of them sounding like crap. Update the firmware.

4. When you update the firmware you will see a pretty picture and you will be able to tell the differences (hopefully)

About the label on the back for distinguishing the models, my label is entirely Korean on the left hand side of it. It does not say MKII on it, but I am pretty sure it is a MKII. How can I tell?

The model number is on the top on the left...you could translate it online (google, babelfish, etc.)

but an easier way would probably be to just turn it on and then tilt it left and then right. The viewing angles suck on the MKII's and you should see discoloration and such.

Korean label means mk2, and its normal for back light screens to perform bad at direct sunlight, there's nothing you can do about that.

Be very careful when you update the firmware. Make sure you:

1). Use an SD card, not an MMC.
2). Make sure it's correclty formated.
3). Make sure it's empty - apart from the necessary update files.
4). Use freshly charged NiMH batteries or better still use an AC power adapter.
5). Read the associated instructions carefully.

Also, depending on your firmware, you may need to upgrade in steps.

At the least, you should upgrade to 2.0 before going to 2.1 (as a bonus, 2.0->2.1 is much quicker/easier than in the past).

Claym99 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 07:53 PM said:
1. Look at the sticker on the back it will tell you what model it is.

2. You just need a new cap. Yes, that's a good one.

3. What firmware do you have? I remember one of them sounding like crap. Update the firmware.

4. When you update the firmware you will see a pretty picture and you will be able to tell the differences (hopefully)

1.) Yep, GP2X-F100

2.) THANKS!

3.) I have 2.0 currently. I updated it from a previouse firmware 10 minutes out of the box. Maybe I should upgrade?

4.) Specifically what differences will I be able to notice? Thx again.

I don't know, don't get me wrong I appreciate the fast responses and I know I came off wrong in this forum at first. I made a mistake but I'd like to rectify the situation. I'd like as much as all of you to see future builds become n00b friendly and we can all tell our friends "hey check this thing out" and after you show them what it can do they will beg for a store to buy it from.

That's why I bought the thing. I knew the framerates sucked on the psx emulator, and that there were bugs with many apps, but that's what thrived me to buy it. I know from experience that these things come with time.

It's a great feeling to know you were there, before it hit the mainstream. Basically I want to be one of the people that even in a small way contributed to the success of a console that has potential.

I really need help with the audio though. Rap and heavy metal becomes really distorted even with headphones attatched. Is this at all fixable? Or should this not even be happening and I'm like a select few kinda thing? I understand built in speakers have this problem. That just makes sense.

But I'm not sure why it happens with my headphones!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
try another mp3 player of those available in the archive, I hear everyone sayin how good craigAmp is, haven't tried it (although it is a must do once am back home) so you might have a solution there :)

sehs33 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:04 PM said:
try another mp3 player of those available in the archive, I hear everyone sayin how good craigAmp is, haven't tried it (although it is a must do once am back home) so you might have a solution there :)

I have. It's the same problem. Honestly, none of you are getting this distorted terribly sounding gunk when you turn the volume to max? This is very bad...

If you're using headphones you shoulden't be turning it up to the max. But it might be your headphones. If I turn my iPod up all the way with the stock buds it gets distorted, but with my much better headphones it's fine.

Oh, well actually all programs get bad sound because of high volume. It's a type of sound distortion that is caused by the soundwaves being too near the top of the graph:

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Waveforms.png

Basically making waves like the Square wave. Not very good for the ears nor the sound itself mind you.

In other words, you're listening to it too loud anyway, turn it down =D

gone postal posted on Oct 30 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
1.) I have 2.0 currently. I updated it from a previouse firmware 10 minutes out of the box. Maybe I should upgrade?

2.) Specifically what differences will I be able to notice? Thx again.

1. I have 2.0 so it might be your headphones or a bad port...What headphones are you using? and How loud do you have the volume?

2. If you have 2.0 then you already have the pretty picture (Mona Lisa) along with a black to gray bar and a horizontal line box and a vertical line box. Just look closely and hit B when there is less jitter (The "jitter" is more noticeable at the top on mine). Also, it get's lighter the further left and darker the further right.

Claym99 posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:36 PM said:
gone postal posted on Oct 30 2006 at 08:43 PM said:
1.) I have 2.0 currently. I updated it from a previouse firmware 10 minutes out of the box. Maybe I should upgrade?

2.) Specifically what differences will I be able to notice? Thx again.

1. I have 2.0 so it might be your headphones or a bad port...What headphones are you using? and How loud do you have the volume?

2. If you have 2.0 then you already have the pretty picture (Mona Lisa) along with a black to gray bar and a horizontal line box and a vertical line box. Just look closely and hit B when there is less jitter (The "jitter" is more noticeable at the top on mine). Also, it get's lighter the further left and darker the further right.

1.) I have to turn it to the max or I can't hear the music that well. And I'm using these. They are pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

http://www.amazon.com/Aiwa-HP-CN6-Noise-Ca...s/dp/B000220DCG

I've used another pair of headphones on the gp2x and they have the exact same problem as well. The main question I should be asking is. When "you" turn the volume all the way up through your headphones, does it become extremely distorted?

I'm asking because I'm using the very same headphones on my "mymusix" mp3 player. I sometimes crank that thing up so loud and I don't run into the same problem I do with the gp2x.....

Shikaku posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
Oh at well actually all programs get bad sound because of high volume. It's a type of sound distortion that is caused by the soundwaves being too near the top of the graph:

Basically making waves like the Square wave. Not very good for the ears nor the sound itself mind you.

Let me clarify this: because the GP2X has no hardware volume control like your other devices. This is the cause of the distortion, along with the causes above. PLEASE READ.

Shikaku posted on Oct 30 2006 at 11:58 PM said:
Shikaku posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:28 AM said:
Oh at well actually all programs get bad sound because of high volume. It's a type of sound distortion that is caused by the soundwaves being too near the top of the graph:

Let me clarify this: because the GP2X has no hardware volume control like your other devices. This is the cause of the distortion, along with the causes above. PLEASE READ.

So it's a hardware issue that can never be fixed. Am I correct?

For me, it does that on the speakers but not through headphones.

Try turning the "Volume Limiter" on or off (depending what it is set at on your unit) -- it's in the settings from the main menu.

Also, firmware 2.1 has extra equaliser settings in the built-in music player, which might help a little. I use Oldplay personally, check it out.

It is possible that there is a fault with your headphone jack, as the early Mk1 units had faulty soldering there.

Please someone else back me up on my statements, I'm not "elite" enough to say that this is a hardware limitation without anyone believing me....

Try turning the "Volume Limiter" on or off (depending what it is set at on your unit) -- it's in the settings from the main menu.

This works, but it might be too low for your deafness-- err tastes.

gaterooze posted on Oct 31 2006 at 12:02 AM said:
For me at it does that on the speakers but not through headphones.

Also, firmware 2.1 has extra equaliser settings in the built-in music player, which might help a little. I use Oldplay personally, check it out.

It is possible that there is a fault with your headphone jack, as the early Mk1 units had faulty soldering there.

It's actually a fx100. What does the volume limiter exactly do? I'm guessing if enabled it will try to prevent eardrum bleading basically? :lol:

turned off it will try to pump out as much volume as possible?

Edit: I was able to find out what the option does.

It seems to me the hardware limiter shikaku spoke of is the problem at hand. Shikaku, give me a quick rundown on what a hardware limiter is and why it wasn't included in the gp2x.

For your problem under daylight, I highly suggest to do not use the included protect film. It's too reflective.

If you use non-reflection protect film (which might make your screen a bit darker but unreflect), It will quite help you seeing screen at outdoor.

(LCD devices suppose to be very dark and dim under the sun light, but most common protective films are reflectvie since many decent LCDs have very bright back light)

Back