Just Got A Nintendo Wii

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
I just got a Nintendo Wii today. Here in Australia it's launch day. I bought the basic box plus an extra Wiimote. I plan to get Zelda as well, but will hold off for a bit. The extra Wiimote came with some extra games call Wii Play.

First up, the controllers are better than I thought they'd be. Their precision is really quite amazing. It's very natural to use; just like an 'aerial' mouse.

The basic idea with the system is that you create a Mii (me) which is an avatar of yourself. You can create as many as you want and then get to select one of your avatars for in game use. It's quite clever actually.

The console uses a channels concept; eventually there is going to be internet, weather and news but none of this is functional (yet). Only the Disc, Wii, Mii, Virtual Console channels do anything at the moment.

Setup is easy and connecting to the net with the built in WiFi is straight forward. Reminded me of the Nintendo DS connection.

The Wii Sports you get with the system is a great bonus. I think Baseball and Tennis were great. In fact so were Golf and Bowling. Didn't get around to trying boxing.

Virtual Console looks neat; theres only a few games to get you going. I haven't bought one yet. The cheapest ones (NES) are 500pts which works out to be AUD$7.50. The N64 games (Super Mario Bros 64) is 1000pts, so AUD$15.00. There's also a couple Sega MD, SNES and supposedly PC Engines games will also be supported.

Conclusion:
It's awesome! I was expecting to get home and play for half and hour or so but ended up playing with it all night (5-6 hours)! It's going to be the definitive 'party console'. I'm sure drinking and swinging the Wiimote around are going to be an interesting combination.

Grabbed mine last night from Toys 'r' us at Northland in Preston. Grabbed wii play and an extra nunchuck as well. Good overall summary there. :D

I still havent had another persons mii visit my console yet, but have added a few people. I ended up buying Mario64 even though I have it on N64 and DS... just because sega didnt have outrun available.

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 7 2006 at 10:06 PM said:
Grabbed mine last night from Toys 'r' us at Northland in Preston. Grabbed wii play and an extra nunchuck as well. Good overall summary there. :D

I still havent had another persons mii visit my console yet, but have added a few people. I ended up buying Mario64 even though I have it on N64 and DS... just because sega didnt have outrun available.

I haven't had anyone visit mine either! You have to set your Mii to 'Mingle' mode? I might buy a classic controller tomorrow - they look good.

I bought mine from Target in Camberwell first thing in the morning. I was expecting some people. It was just me and one other guy. None of this waiting in line stuff for me!

I might go back tomorrow and see if they're all gone? I wonder how well they are selling here?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Gamecube did horribly in Australia, so I'm guessing Nintendo is going to have a harder time selling the Wii there than it is having in other places like the U.S. and Japan.

Hopefully they'll be able to win some people back............and then some :)

yeah. same here.

I got it on day one for a crazy $400. And I got the zelda game.

I'm really impressed. Especially the tennis game.

I'm going back later to get a 2nd controller and a retro pad.

My experiance is that I conencted to my wireless internet, capped at 64K and spent the first 4 hours updating firmware and channels. :(

But it was good overall, and Mario Kart double dash from the GC looked amazing. Actaully, better then a lot I saw from the Wii already.

SiDCrAzY posted on Dec 7 2006 at 10:35 PM said:
The Gamecube did horribly in Australia, so I'm guessing Nintendo is going to have a harder time selling the Wii there than it is having in other places like the U.S. and Japan.

Hopefully they'll be able to win some people back............and then some :)

I remember looking a year ago and GC was selling less than the games. 70 aussies for the console, and 80 - 90 aussies for the game.

And the gameboy micro was a disarster... less then $100 nearly straight away.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to grab a second controller make sure you get the wii play+controller bundle. wii play is actually very good if not a little limited. Laser hockey, pool and the tank game are very good, a shame the duckhunt shooting gallery game is so short.

I should go get zelda even though I am not a big zelda fan, it seems like the only game worth getting at the moment.

Anyone recommend anything else?

What kind of games do you like?

You can try and source a stack of GC games from someone and grab a retro pad.

Thanks, I'm going to get Wii Play with my coupons I got for being an early pre-orderer. But I have to get 2 games to get 15% off.

Probably wait a little cause all the games now looks crap. Maybe Call of Duty 3...

I already have a gamecube and 2 camecube controllers so I dont think I will be getting the classic pad unless it plugs into the bottom of the wii mote. If it plugs into the wii mote then I may get one as the gamecube pads leads are too short.

I like racing games, fps games with vehicles, action games etc... I don't know something unique for the wii perhaps? This console was supposed to be some sort of gaming revolution at the moment it just looks like more CG movie licences. Is rayman raving rabbits any good? All the other rayman games have been crap but I was told this would be different.

Farcry vengence and the new need for speed game should be out soon.

For now, Tennis is all I need. I'm sure I'll be bored of it before the end of the week, but for now, it's more interesting than the incredibly boring start to zelda.

Ended up getting zelda and super monkey ball since the last post, zelda is off to an incredibly slow start but the horse riding is cool. Monkey ball is a bit of fun, the 50 mini games are probably better than the main game so far.

Back