Just Tried Out The 3Ds

dnlgreenwood

I'LL END YOU!!!
I just tried out the 3DS, and here's what I think:
IT'S AWESOME!

The feel of the plastic and the thickness is awesome. It doesn't at all feel flimsy like the DS Lite. The casing doesn't feel smudgy or slippery like the PSP 3000. The top portion doesn't have that inward curve like the DS Lite. I like that. The sound is also great. Better than the PSP 3000 and the DS Lite. You can actually hear it in a busy area. The nub... It's spectacular. It feels very comfortable, fits right on your thumb, and doesn't slip off. I like how it doesn't have annoying bumps like the PSP's nub. Also, it moves quite a bit farther than the PSP's nub. The resistance is perfect. The d-pad's positioning is great. It does not at all feel misplaced or awkward. The d-pad and the buttons click like the DSi and are really comfortable. The click isn't annoying. The shoulder buttons also click and are very functional. You can press anywhere on them and they will register. They are also a bit big compared to the DS Lite and DSi shoulder buttons and have more surface area. The 3D effect of the console is fantastic. I've never seen anything like it. It doesn't look great if you're peering over someone's shoulder, but if it's right in your hands and you're using it at a comfortable distance, it's great. It isn't at all headache-inducing and doesn't make you feel dizzy. The depth is quite amazing. The Nintendo representative that let me try it out said that if you feel odd, you usually get used to it over time. With the 3D effect turned off, you can really tell the difference. The screen clarity and brightness is excellent. I was in a well-lit room and didn't see any reflections on the screen. I didn't get to test out the camera features or anything other than some gameplay, unfortunately. The 3DS is well worth it's weight in gold. However, I'm willing to wait out for homebrew and emulators, or maybe even a second release.

Yeah, I've got one...had it for 2 weeks + 1 day now. :)
I give it a 10/10 B)

YV4dV.jpg

http://ds.mmgn.com/Forums/MMGN-com/Free-Games-Vol-2/Page-2#last

qqQFO.jpg

http://ds.mmgn.com/Forums/MMGN-com/Free-Console-Vol-1

R6oDW.jpg
sPAvM.jpg
D1SEb.jpg

http://ds.mmgn.com/Forums/MMGN-com/Free-Games-Vol-1

SONY said:
I give it a 10/10 B)
Dude, are the 3DS game cards the same size as the DS game cards?

I just bought a shitload of Gamecube, PS2, and Gameboy Advance games from a discount bin at my local Sears department store. I'm now starting to regret it. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Card as in game cartridge?

Yes, but to distinguish between the DS and 3DS carts, Nintendo have put a little tab on the top right-hand corner of the 3DS cartridge...this is also to prevent people from putting a 3DS cartridge into a DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL console...not that anything will happen.
I reckon that in the near future, someone will saw or sand off that little tab and put it into DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL console to see what happens...

They'll be sorely disappointed.

SONY said:
Card as in game cartridge?

Yes, but to distinguish between the DS and 3DS carts, Nintendo have put a little tab on the top right-hand corner of the 3DS cartridge...this is also to prevent people from putting a 3DS cartridge into a DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL console...not that anything will happen.
I reckon that in the near future, someone will saw or sand off that little tab and put it into DS/DS lite/DSi/DSi XL console to see what happens...

They'll be sorely disappointed.
Kind of how GB games won't fit or run in a DS lite...

It would have been cool if they made the DS display a warning message when you put in a 3DS game instead of making it physically different, like they did with GBC games on the GB or SGB.

SONY said:
Yeah, I know lol.

Anyway, 2 and a half weeks left (31st of March) till Nintendo 3DS is launched here, in Australia.

CAN'T WAIT!!! :D
A week and a few days for me. B)

Great that it has a built in notepad but does it have PDA functions? Contacts, Appointments, and the lot. There at the same price point of the Ipod Touch so I hope they are offering the same built in programs.

DisgruntleElf said:
Great that it has a built in notepad but does it have PDA functions? Contacts, Appointments, and the lot. There at the same price point of the Ipod Touch so I hope they are offering the same built in programs.
I didn't get to use any of the extra functions, but from what Wikipedia tells me, it doesn't come with any installed apart from 3D Messaging System (like Pictochat). However, there will probably be applications available for download later on.

SONY said:

Damnit Sony, I'm quite jealous.

I almost ordered one earlier, but there aren't really any games I want yet. I'm going to wait until the price drops some more (It's already down £40 from Nintendo's obscene suggested £230 RRP though at many online stores.)

Goity said:
I almost ordered one earlier, but there aren't really any games I want yet. I'm going to wait until the price drops some more (It's already down £40 from Nintendo's obscene suggested £230 RRP though at many online stores.)
I know... The price is insane, especially for the UK and Europe.

I'm trying desperately hard not to just order one because I can. They look rad and stuff, but there's no reason for me to own one yet.

Goity said:
I'm trying desperately hard not to just order one because I can. They look rad and stuff, but there's no reason for me to own one yet.
I know how you feel. It's incredibly difficult for me to resist Bubble Bobble 3D. I really need to save up for a new computer.

Turns out I in fact have no self control, and thus I bought one after all. It's arrived today; not used it yet though as I'm still at work.

Back